Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abacus vs Artisan vs Odin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 am 

I have read a lot of reviews (thanks everyone) and haven't come to a solid decision on a new splitboard. I have been riding a Mojo 166 for the last 6 years, weigh 165 lbs and probalby like most think I rider pretty agressvie. The Voile has a been a really solid board but over time as everything seems to get lighter, I am feeling the weight of the board and it is getting beat up. As much as I like fast riding the avalanche conditions in CO require that I ride mellow powder frequently. With that said, here are my thoughts on the boards I am looking at. Any help or advice will be appreciated:

Abacus - Nice and light weight. Good overall board. Seems to have the binding holes more centered whereas I have had my Voile set up withe binding fully back. I am a little nervous about this booard being a little too flexy and only good in mellow powder. Decent reviews as an overall good board. I love the graphic. I would get the 164.

Artisan - I love the price and love that it is built in USA. Pretty good reviews and I have been happy with Voile overall. I would probably just get this becuase of the reviews and the price but I am looking to try something different.

Odin - Seems this is the board I really want to get as it is tagged as a hard charger all mountain board. For a 164 it is probably going to be the same weight as my current Voile, which I am hesitant about. The price is tough to deal with as well. I could wait for some after season sales maybe.

Any thoughts?

Dale

Post subject: Re: Abacus vs Artisan vs Odin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:13 am 

I have both the Abacus and the Odin... super different boards.

I think anyone would be happy with the Abacus, it's fun easy and light, and is a great all around board. The topsheet is chipping really fast though, not the most durable design I've seen.

The Odin takes a lot more effort to ride, and is not really 'fun' until you get over 15mph or something, then it really shines on big turns. Bombproof construction of course. This is my board for hardboots. Way more stable at speed.

Sounds like for your preferred terrain you might have more fun on the Abacus. Of course if you're in CO it shouldn't be hard to demo a Venture... good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 am 

I know the Odin is supposed to be a "severe big mountain" board, but its still just a snowboard. I ride mine everywhere, BC, inbounds, switch, whatever. I think with the rocker it does great at low speed too. I like my boards to be capable in all conditions and especially when your life is on the line. Most boards in my experience are noodles. I am 165lbs with size 9.5 boot and ride the 164/25 or /26

A.B.C. (Always Buy Colorado) :thumpsup:

PS: Venture has some '12 & '13 Odins on sale:

http://venturesnowboards.shptron.com/c/bargain-bin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:41 pm 

+1 for the Odin. I've found it to be a great all-mountain board. Maybe I'm just used to stiff boards, but I'm with Pedro on this one.