Post subject: Re: furberg 173 DIY Review
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:19 pm 

barrows wrote:
OK, I finally got a really good powder day in on the furberg

:shock: WTF, IT'S MARCH!!!

I really hope you get some more pow days

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:31 pm 

POW: no worries man, I guess I misunderstood a little. To be clear, I would have no problem getting around a resort on hardpacked runs on the furberg: that is riding groomers on the way to something better. If I was out specifically to carve turns on the groom, then certainly I would choose a different board (Kessler).
Yeah Jamie! Unfortunately, not everyone lives in Canada. It has been two weak seasons in a row here in Colorado, but for sure, there have been more pow days. The other day was the best day though, and the only day I mounted up and chose to ride the furberg specifically because I knew it was going to be deep everywhere. I rode the Storm a lot this year as it is now my rock split, and the first half of the season had weak coverage.
It takes longer for our season to get going here in any year, usually it is not good until mid January, and then it runs late 'cause we have high altitude. It is not at all unusual for us to ride powder in April, sometimes even in May.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:35 am 

I'd like to chime in on the Furberg awesomeness. I'm hooked. I've found the shape to ride really well in both hard snow conditions and powder. The 3-D feel in powder is really amazing. It is amazingly forgiving and versatile. The board can get really nice edge hold when you ask it to do so. I rode it on a recent trip to Utah at the resort and sidecountry for 4 days in deep powder, powder, firm snow and spring conditions the last day. It was really nice in a variety of settings. It also did a nice job in the trees. I'm planning on getting a split for next year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 am 

i would not worry about its performance on harder snow, unless you want to carve on groomers, which it does not do unfortunately (or at least not well), but then, thats not what it is for. I rode the the steepest couloir i'd ever ridden about 2 weeks after getting the board last year. The conditions were super hard-pack, almost ice, and the edge hold was amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:22 pm 

Barrows, i have a question for you, as you seem to understand snowboard tech and design quite well. My only complaint about this board is the way it rides on groomers. Obviously, this is not the purpose, so its not a big deal. But i see it an area where it could be improved. I also ski, and this year i upgraded to a pair of 4FRNT Hoji's. the design is pretty special, it is a fully rockered ski but they matched the sidecut to be the exact shape of the rocker. this allows the ski to carve on groomers. It really works. I mean, im not rocketing in between slalom gates or anything (but of course, like the Furberg, carving is not the point of this tool), but I can lay down some nice tracks on the groomers. I tested about 12 different big mtn/freeride skis before buying, and this carves equal to majority of them, which all have at least some traditional camber in the middle. To me, this seems like the perfect combo to employ with the Furberg (matching the sidecut to the rocker). I brought this up on the Furberg FB page, and Daniel quickly disagreed and hocked it all up to clever marketing from 4 FRNT. I can promise you, it isn't. I don't know if you've seen this combo before, but is there any reason you can think of that this wouldn't work on a snowboard? This would not involve shortening the sidecut radius, just matching the sidecut radius and rocker radius (im sure thats not actually what they call it). To my limited 'snowboard design' brain, it just seems like this would improve the boards hardpack carving performance without sacrificing anything that we all currently love about it. Thoughts???

here is a link that kind of shows what im talking about
http://youtu.be/N3XaBthc1jI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:03 pm 

1. furberg matches the rocker between the feet to the sidecut radius.

2. furberg has a flat section, from the bindings outwards until the tip and tail rocker begins. This flat section is what allows the board to have good stability and edge hold. I suggest that the tail especially, would be way to loose if not for this short flat section, and performance in the steeps would suffer.

3. furberg carves fine long radius turns for me, it just will not lay trenches at slower speeds, and neither is that what it is for. This is a board optimized for off piste riding, it will get one through groomers one the way to the good stuff just fine.

No single board is going to be perfect for all kinds of riding. The furberg is designed for off piste freeriding, and it excels at its purpose. If you are looking for a board for riding groomers, get a Kessler.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 pm 

Barrows, Thanks for the review. I am going to split one of my Furbergs from this year. Did you do the cutting yourself? How much softer flex do you think the board would have without the carbon added to the inside edges? I want to split the 162 for using at Wolf Creek Pass but am afraid of it becoming a noodle. Nate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 pm 

From all my experience carving groomers on a snowboard (hard and soft boot), the 16 to 20m sidecuts of the different Furberg lengths are just way too big to carve groomers on softboots. With that big of a sidecut, you would need real snowboard hardboots and a board that is torsionally and longitudinally stiff enough to handle the forces generated.

The Furberg can carve big, open, down the fall line carves at moderate to high speed, but you cannot do speed control C carves across the groomer or low speed carves. I don't think rocker / sidecut modifications will fix this.

As we all seem to agree, it is awesome off trail but not a groomer board. At least if you like to carve on groom.

permnation, I just read that there are plans for a 162 split next year? I have not confirmed that though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 pm 

I added the carbon fiber inner sidewall for two reasons: first, I liked the flex of the 173 before I cut it, and I knew that cutting it would make it softer. After I cut it, I did not flex the two halves, for fear of breaking down the laminate, until after I added the carbon fiber and finished the sidewall. I am happy with the result, but it was a lot of work-I think the board might be too soft without the added carbon.
Properly layed up carbon is also very, very tough, and slippery. As such this was a great way to protect the core of the board from damage.
The first year furbergs (11/12) have a very lightweight and soft core-I think this factor makes them a little fragile for DIY splits, and I try to treat mine gently for this reason. Daniel Furberg specifically mentioned to me that he specified denser wood for the cores on the 12/13 boards, so they are a little heavier, but I suspect, much more durable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:52 am 

barrows wrote:
The first year furbergs (11/12) have a very lightweight and soft core-I think this factor makes them a little fragile for DIY splits, and I try to treat mine gently for this reason. Daniel Furberg specifically mentioned to me that he specified denser wood for the cores on the 12/13 boards, so they are a little heavier, but I suspect, much more durable.

When I drilled in to my 12/13 split to put in inserts the first thing I thought(and the guy I was with who runs his tuning shop) was how the core seemed less dense/lighter than other boards. I don't know if he did end up getting the cores or build quality that he wanted from the guys in China.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm 

Jamie: I specifically mentioned this to Daniel Furberg, and he assured me that the core wood spec was totally changed for the 12/13 boards. He did not reveal from what type wood to what type wood, but I suspect the 11/12 boards were probably Paulownia without any reinforcement, super light for sure, but somewhat sketchy as far as I am concerned. He also had to change the core profiles quite a bit to accommodate the additional stiffness of the denser cores. He also upgraded the base material from what I have seen. The 12/13 boards appear to come with a black, carbon loaded base, which Daniel says is 4000 series sintered. Not sure what the 11/12 boards are, but it is definitely not a black carbon base, and seems a little soft to me.
My dream is that furberg will have enough success to support them building their own boards, in Norway, and applying typical (meaning totally perfectionist anal retentive) Scandinavian values to the construction of their boards! One can get good build quality from the Asians, but one has to have very diligent production management to be sure to actually get what one specifies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:35 am 

Hi,
i write from Italy and I'm really stoked by the design of this boards!
I'm interested to buy a splitboard.
this year is very special here in Dolomites(lot of pow!), but normally conditions may vary from powder to icy, to spring snow etc..
what i want to know is the behaviour of the splitboard in icy condition both in touring mode that ride mode.
it's right to think that a longer radius improve performance in touring mode, especially in traverse? i'm a bit scared about the full roker design in combination with the larger width under the boots...
For me it’s important to know that, because conditions are not always good, and I don’t want to buy a splitboard that perform well only in powder condition.
I went from a Prior Backcountry split 164 (non rocker) with soft boots, so , how Furberg is compared to?
can you tell me how is the flex?
which lenght do you suggest? longer or shorter than a normal board?
I’m 188 cm x 78/80 kg.
Thank you all, and sorry if my English is too bad!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 am 

alexander supertramp wrote:
Hi,
i write from Italy and I'm really stoked by the design of this boards!
I'm interested to buy a splitboard.
this year is very special here in Dolomites(lot of pow!), but normally conditions may vary from powder to icy, to spring snow etc..
what i want to know is the behaviour of the splitboard in icy condition both in touring mode that ride mode.
it's right to think that a longer radius improve performance in touring mode, especially in traverse? i'm a bit scared about the full roker design in combination with the larger width under the boots...
For me it’s important to know that, because conditions are not always good, and I don’t want to buy a splitboard that perform well only in powder condition.
I went from a Prior Backcountry split 164 (non rocker) with soft boots, so , how Furberg is compared to?
can you tell me how is the flex?
which lenght do you suggest? longer or shorter than a normal board?
I’m 188 cm x 78/80 kg.
Thank you all, and sorry if my English is too bad!

Your English is great. The Furberg is not an all-conditions board. The performance on icy/hard snow is poor. It sounds like you want a more versatile board to ride every snow type. The middle rocker is the only reason this sidecut works. So you really have to consider the performance qualities of the rocker profile and ignore the sidecut. Middle rocker profiles are best suited to soft snow. On hard snow they tend to wander on traverses. You would think the long radius would help while traversing but I found the rocker profile wouldn't track strait. The rocker makes the sidecut pointless on hard snow.

For versatility in all conditions you might look at boards with a camber/rocker nose profile(Prior) or a flat/rocker tip and tail profile(Venture). Those two profiles perform better in all conditions. The Furberg is on the soft snow end of the quiver spectrum.