Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need help buying a splitboard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:08 pm 

Hi! I'm new to splitboarding and want to buy a splitboard. I'm female, and am about 145lbs without a pack. I'm having a real tough time finding women's reviews on splitboards. I also noticed that most boards are rockered/mixed camber now, and I've only owned camber boards. So I need a lot of help figuring out the right length.

My current boards are a medium-soft (6/10 on Ride's scale) 151 that I use for messing around, and a stiffer 154 speed demon. On powder days I sink with both, so splitting them isn't an option. I'm fine with getting a men's board but am concerned about them being too wide. My boards currently have waist widths of 241 and 236 and the men's boards seem much wider. My shoe size is a women's 7.5. Any advice you can provide about what boards to look at, or what bindings fit women better are greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: need help buying a splitboard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:41 pm 

My wife is 5' 6" and 130#. She normally rides boards 148-154 in length. So far she has ridden her Voile Mojo RX 154 for a season and a half and really loves that board. Last spring we got her a Prior Brandywine 154 and she did not like that one much at all, so we sold it. Initiating turns on it was hard for her and she just felt is was hard to control compared to her RX. We just got her a Burton Anti Social 150 and so far she absolutely loves it. Probably even more than the RX. It has the S-rocker so it has more nose rise than the RX and definitely a longer tail rise, so the effective edge is quite a bit shorter. It is more maneuverable and playful, but she still has no problem generating edge on hard snow. It's also a very light board. She's had the Anti Social out in spring corn and solid refreeze crust so far. No pow yet. She has been out on her RX in all snow conditions and liked that board pretty much everywhere.

Have fun shopping.

Shots of the Burton:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 pm 

I forgot to mention she wears a size women's 8 and rides Spark Burner size small bindings with LT brackets. She really likes the bindings a lot. She has a +20 front and +8 rear stance. No toe or heel drag, but not a ton of extra room either.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 pm 

The first thing that comes to mind is a Venture Storm 156-24 with size small Spark bindings.
You say your 154 doesn't float you in pow, is your stance centered or set back some?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:43 am 

Thanks guys! I'll start by looking into those boards.
powslash wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind is a Venture Storm 156-24 with size small Spark bindings.
You say your 154 doesn't float you in pow, is your stance centered or set back some?

My 154 is supposedly similar to the Feelgood. I've tried setting it back some but I'm not sure if it was all the way. I figure that with a 20 pound pack on, I'd definitely want a longer board anyway. Do the new mixed camber boards negate the need for extra inches?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:32 pm 

I know nothing about womens boards in general, but Venture makes a Storm 156 24cm waist that I bet would do pretty well for you. I've rode the Storm, its setback, nose height should keep you afloat awesome. I weigh 150 without gear, and I rode the 161, couldn't come close to sinking it. I ride a 159 splitboard and it does pretty damn well in all conditions. If it was SUPER deep, a 163 or so would be great, but 90% else, too big.