Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wide Splitboards. Above 26.2 Waist
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:04 pm 

workman wrote:
The Gnu billy goat I am riding this season has a 253mm waist and is just fine with L spark Fuses and size 10 driver X boots.

And what exactly does this have to do with a person that rides size Twelve 32 TM2 Boots?

I'm 6'10 and 700lbs. I wear a size XXXXXXl. So should you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:12 pm 

Ah, didn't see the size 12 boots.

As for lack of snow, NO, I haven't noticed....then again I am not out East and have only heard rumors of its lack of snow this year. Never been back there to ride, and never plan on it. This hasnt been a kick ass winter out here either, but have rode powder about 75% of the time. Probably have around 60 days in since Nov 15, mostly splitting or slackcountry.

Being employed is important, but I make a pretty decent living working from May-Oct, hence why I can devote so much time to riding.

Lib Techs T Rice split has a waist of 260mm, and depending on your stance would probably work just fine IMO. I imagine you travel a bit to get into the steeps. I cant imagine many 55degree couloirs you would be riding out there in spring time conditions where toe/heel drag would be an issue. The .2mm you want over 260mm seems to small of an amount to matter, but what do I know?

Good luck in your search and hopefully you guys get some snow soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:15 pm 

I'm not going over this again

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:23 pm 

workman wrote:
The .2mm you want over 260mm seems to small of an amount to matter, but what do I know?

You are off by an order of magnitude. That I know. :D

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:38 pm 

why are you so concerned about splits with your riding area and preference for railing groomers?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
workman wrote:
The .2mm you want over 260mm seems to small of an amount to matter, but what do I know?

You are off by an order of magnitude. That I know. :D

:thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 am 

Breakwater wrote:

he says, on what, page 12 of the thread?

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:34 am 

provotrout wrote:
why are you so concerned about splits with your riding area and preference for railing groomers?

Because a Splitboard is the propper equipment for "Backcountry" and I've been tormented with snowboard waist-width all the way back to (and before) the (Gag) K2 Fat-Bob Era.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 am 

I have a Fatbob on my rack if you want to split that. It meets all your stated requirements.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 am 

Alright, so I read about half of the pages in this thread (sick days suck, and yes I am that stretched for reading material at the moment!), and from what I can tell there has been multiple boards that would work for your very very picky needs of a board. So why not just buy one and go out and slay those east coast peaks?

I usually rock size 10.5 boots, but driver X boots run a smaller footprint so I can fit a size 10. I think some salomon boots also have a reduced footprint. This season when I purchased my billy goat, I was concerned about toe/heel drag with a size 10 and 253mm waist. The Prior I had prior to this had a 260mm waist. Then I mounted it up and rode it and my worries quickly vanished, no drag whatsoever is powder. Have taken this board into some very tight and very steep shit this season in semi firm snow and boot out was the last thing on my mind during descent. I run +15front/-5rear on the split.

FWIW, good riding buddy of mine has size 11 boots, is 6'2, and rips the shit out of the Tetons in all conditions with a 260mm waist(he has the Trice split). Dude hits 55degree couloirs in July when conditions are very firm and toe/heel drag is not an option, absolute no fall zones, and mandatory rappels to get out. Never once heard him bitch about not being able to find a wide board for his size 11 feet, probably because we are to busy actually snowboarding rather than thinking about it....

This thread has to be a joke IMO, way to troll it up! Nobody can be that picky over a few MM's, especially back East!

Pretty funny shit going on here :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:29 am 

chrishami wrote:
Breakwater wrote:

he says, on what, page 12 of the thread?

:lol:

That's right, and here's hoping it goes on for another 12.
Because from this side of the computer screen, I just got to read 12 pages of design, production quality issues, and comments from people that have spent time on X board and their thoughts on it.

When I'm ready to play my card, I'll buy my board in a size that works, and I'll buy it from an operation that has their shit together... thank you very much.

There's no lack of clunkers in the marketplace. I just don't pay cash for them.
Sorry if you don't have the patience to research what you buy.

Burton makes a board for those people. $1500 for the impulsive non-homework do-er. Burton's not stupid. They'll sell a few of those to a few people, and laugh all the way to the bank.
http://www.backcountry.com/burton-mystery-snowboard

Lots of show. Does it have $1500 worth of go?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 am 

Here is how I research and buy a snowboard

Length: I am 5'9 and I mostly ride BC powder in steeps....159-161cm with rocker seems to be sufficient. Rocker is nice, but after riding for 14 seasons without, its not mandatory. I like Mervin boards lately so they all have rocker/Magne anyways and no complaints....after all it just snowboarding.

Width: I have size 10-10.5 feet, so I prefer a board with a waist of 250-260mm

Edge: I like Magne, but can live without it.

Sidecut: Yip, doesn't look like my old K2 Daniel from 94'

Price: Labor day sales/summer sales are great times to pick up a resort board or sometimes a split leftover from the previous winter. Usually around $350 for a $600 board. Paid $760 for the Gnu Billy goat this year, and that was the cheapest I could find it. I might have been able to get it a little cheaper down the road, but I wanted it then to ride Pow in Nov so it was a no brainer. Got to pay to play is my motto with all my gear. Sold previous Prior AMF for $500, just board and hardware. A local board maker used to sell decent boards for $200 and I rode three of those in 2 seasons, worked just fine. A board is a board IMO as long as its length/width are proper for the conditions you ride.

Pay to play now go out and enjoy snowboarding with your well researched board :doobie:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
I have a Fatbob on my rack if you want to split that. It meets all your stated requirements.

Thank You very, very much for the offer but I'm going to pass.
The only reason being that there are a few "OEM" splits on the market that I see that fit my stated requirements.
I'm on the hunt to find more, but if there aren't it's time to narrow down to which one I want.

If splitting a Fat-Bob was my ONLY option given my limitations, I'd jump all over it. :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next