Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: newbie looking for a splitboard
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:01 am 

hey all,

i've very recently discovered backcountry snowboarding. it only took one run, and i was hooked as i'm sure the rest of you are! then i discovered splitboards, which will open up whole new worlds for me... now i'm trying to find one that will work for me, but i'm finding it hard to get first hand information - everyone i know skis (and i prefer snowboarding). add to that, i'm short & female and it just really seems to complicate things

that being said, i'm 5'4", and 130lbs, without gear, and i ride a 151cm, soft, rockered snowboard. from what i've ridden, and what reading i've done, it sounds like i want to stick around the same size for a splitboard - but i'm open to suggestions and ideas.

it has to be twin tip (i'm planning on using it for snowkiting too), and i'd prefer something rockered if i can get it. splitboards also seem to be a lot stiffer than i like in a snowboard - but i'm not sure how that actually translates (my current snowboard is a 3 out of 10) and maybe the stiffer ride is fine with the extra weight...? i realize that there are very limited options and that my preferences, requirements & size are going to mean i probably won't find EXACTLY what i want, but i'm hoping i can get close...?

i've also seen a lot of DIY stuff - i'm clearly not qualified to do this, although i'm sure there's someone in my area who could - but i hear the drawback is no inside edge. how important is that edge? anyone done this? just wondering if this might be a better option for me.

looking forward to some insight on this from people who've been through this dilemma! thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: newbie looking for a splitboard
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:51 am 

Welcome! Lucky for you, you don't have to commit to chopping up your fave board.... rent and demo some different splitboards so you figure out what you like on some short tours on easy lines. Lots of shops can help you with this. Splitfests are also a great way to meet splitters and demo some different splitboards. Check the 'events' thread for those in your area.

And this forum here is a wealth of info, just poke around and read reviews.

As far as inside edge, opinions differ. Lots of splitters tour up super burly lines on DIY boards, while others prefer the extra edge hold of the inside edge on a factory splitboard.

Lots of splitters like more flexy boards that are twin tip and more freestyle influenced. Roxy, Burton, Rome all make splits like this. The K2 split is pretty flexy.

Good luck out there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:20 am 

Check out the Burton Spliff 148, that might be perfect for you. And it's a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm 

For what it's worth (probably not much), I'm exactly your size and ride a 154 in both my solid and my split (Capita Charlie Slasher and K2 Panoramic). My next split will likely be a bit longer and probably stiffer, but that's partly due to the snow and terrain where I am. YMMV. You'll have more options if you look for a slightly longer board, but the snowkiting thing might be easier with a shorter one, I guess. That probably doesn't help you much. If you split your own board, there are places where you can get an inside edge installed. I've seen people do it themselves too, but I personally lack those awesome skills. In the limited amount of icy sidehilling I've had to do so far I've found it sketchy enough with a metal edge on the inside and wouldn't want to try it without that.

Oh, and the Prior Lupin Twin comes in a 150 and 153 (their chart suggests at least the 153 for your weight). The Gnu B-Pro might be another option.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:16 pm 

thanks guys - appreciated. i've done some reading and searching, and i seem to have it narrowed down to 2 boards once everything is factored in - the prior lupin or the voile artisan (both "women specific" and twin tip). i am going to try both - but in the meantime i'm trying to find some info/reviews/feedback about these boards, and i can't seem to find anything that's from personal experience (it's all the company write up).

are there any women/girls here who've ridden either of those boards (and what did you think?)? and alternately (although i realize it's not quite the same), have any of you guys ridden the guy equivalent of these (prior amf, voile artisan), and what did you think?

being relatively inexperienced to the world of splitboards, i am going to be somewhat reliant on other people's experiences with these boards and how they handle - and would just really like to make a relatively educated decision :)

oh... and if anyone can suggest binding likes/dislikes for either of those boards, i'd love to hear too! thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 pm 

While not EXACTLY a Twin, the Jones Solution will be made in a Women's version next season and it looks pretty nice. The review was on another thread, but here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afWSKWWOREI

Spark R&D bindings are bomber, light and hassle free and best of all available.

There's also the Mountain Twin Split: http://www.jonessnowboards.com/index.php/product/overview/moutain-twin-split

The Chimera ORB is the only true TWIN I know of: http://www.chimerasnowboards.com/SPLITBOARDS/ORB-Contact-Us-For-Availability.html

They hand-make the boards, you can work with them possibly to get the flex you want.

Enjoy Splitting!

Prior SwallowTail
Jones Hovercraft
Chimera Sceptre
W/Spark R&D Bindings, Spark R&D Skins
Twitter/Instagram: @theScottBikeman
http://adrianmontgomery.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm 

The Jones Solution is available in a women's version this year. But it is a directional board.
The Mountain Twin split is only available for men and that doesn't change with next year's lineup-too bad...that would be an awesome board even though it's a directional twin.

The Gnu B-Pro and Roxy Banana Smoothie are both true twins.
Both are camber/rocker hybrids...the Gnu is C2 BTX -rocker between the feet and camber outside and the Banana Smoothie is EC2 BTX which still has rocker between the feet and elliptical camber outside which I understand is a little mellower. They both have magnetraction too.

I have been going through the same search as you and have not had the opportunity to try any of the splits. I have only ridden the solids of these boards which is pretty much irrelevant.

As for the Spark bindings...they seem like very nice bindings, though they are really stiff this year. Be careful if you have small feet. I have a women's size 7 boot and the small bindings are still too big for me. Voile's small is supposed to be for men's size 4-6.5 which is roughly women's 5.5-8 and they have supposedly made some improvements this year. Not sure if the smalls are available yet though.

Good luck!

FYI-I ordered a Gnu B-Pro and it came in with some quality issues...not sure if it's a fluke or not. But it's on to plan B since that was the last one they had.