Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Ride Splitlife UL: A DIY Highlife split with helicoil setup

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ride Splitlife UL: A DIY Highlife splilt with helicoil setup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:27 am 

haha wasn't doubting your work one bit. Was just mentioning a few points most people probably wouldn't be aware of.

Anyways, just got back from lapping my local mountain for about 4 hours. Really icy conditions tonight but figure all that chatter can put some good stress on the helicoils. Tried to put some good abuse on the board as well, just to test out how well the helicoils will hold. So far day 1 in icy conditions is good. Hopefully we get some snow soon so we can see how well it holds when its under a foot of the heavy snow we usually get here.

Keep in mind I've got a 200-210lb frame(prob a bit on the higher end of that after the holidays haha) and using a 2 helicoil per puck universal insert setup. So I can definitely put some good abuse on this, more so than most of you. Still pretty confident it will hold in the long run.

ps. Here's the grub screws I mentioned which will help seal the core(along with the epoxy) and also prevent any stress that one might get from expanding/contracting snow/ice inside the helicoil inserts. Just as an added precaution to anything I can think of.

------------

maniacdave, I saw you post that idea in the BF/QK thread. Definitely a good idea if you want to play it safe. Luckily I set mine up as a universal mounting setup. If in the worst case 4 inserts pull, I can set it to the other 4 until i ride out to the car. Your way would definitely be more convenient.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:38 am 

Thanks for posting. I'm going the heli-coil route for tour brackets and heel lifters (but not pucks). Good to hear from everyones experiences, this is why i pay attention to these posts! Here at my local volcanoe the consequences of the touring brackets failing are relatively low (for most lines). Most of my missions have ride-out options. I might consider otherwise if long multiday or multihour flat approaches were the norm here.
I can always repair with t-nuts if things go awry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:17 am 

Give us an update after you have put some days on your board. Really interested in how the hlicoils hold up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:00 pm 

Will definitely be giving updates on occasion. I won't be able to get out on a tour with them until next weekend, then hopefully regularly on weekends after that. But until then I'll try riding as much vert as possible via lifts during some night sessions after work as much I can.

Post subject: Re: Ride Splitlife UL: A DIY Highlife split with helicoil setup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:46 pm 

Thought some of you guys would appreciate something I found during some research about heicoils

http://www.slidewright.com/heli-coil-sn ... hcsbk.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:14 pm 

4thelove wrote:
Thought some of you guys would appreciate something I found during some research about heicoils

http://www.slidewright.com/heli-coil-sn ... hcsbk.html

That goes to show helicoils in snowboards can be done with success :)

Pretty much everything I'm using, but pieced them out at hardware stores. Came out to be cheaper. Hardest to find was the stop collar, but when I found it, it was only $1

Be sure to tape the tap to make sure you don't bottom out and ruin your threading.

Stop collar(may be called a shaft collar at some hardware stores). Make sure this is on tight and make sure you don't drill with too much pressure.

Helicoil install tool

If anybody is deciding to go this route, I'd highly recommend practicing at least half a dozen of them or so on a piece of 1x4, or even a spare board. Little margin for error means its not fool proof like t-nuts. Also a lot of how well a helicoil will hold up will be due to board construction.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:21 pm 

Not helicoil related, but for anybody considering splitting a Ride board, you'll need shorter rivets for the tip/tail clips. Ride's thincon construction has really thin tips and tails, so rivets provided by Karakoram were way too long. I used 3/16" semi-tubular rivet with a 3/8" length. I could have probably gone with a 1/4" or 5/16" length. I bought a pack of 50 so have plenty of spare ones to give out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:03 am 

Best advice would be (idea) to get some pucks from Burton on the forum and then use factory inserts as well.
Works well and stress is less whilst on the mountain.
I have had a long walk out after using Quiver killers.
Looks great..

Phantoms/Sparks
Tokachi Dreaming

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:07 pm 

Pretty good idea actually, and after searching around came across your Furberg. Nicely done.

I do like being able to adjust my stance occasionally, including angles, setback, and stance width depending on conditions and what type of riding - which is why I did the universal pattern to begin with. Problem with the 2x4cm insert pattern is they wont match up with the splitboard inserts(3.325"x1") when adjusting stance width and setback. I'm thinking I can drill a slot for alignment. So it would be two holes and one slot for each half of the pucks. Anybody's thoughts? I still do lose angle adjustment but I can live with that.

Will prob order a set next week to give it a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:14 pm 

nice work

i chose to use 1/4-20 ez-lok brand threaded inserts in my NS legacy split to install my dynafit toe pieces and heel lifters. its been 3 seasons of split skiing , flailing, and bailing on them, and they're holding up fine. i should have done the pucks with them as well, but didnt want to make the full commitment.

before i did the board, i installed a set of 4 in a junk ski, then pulled them out with a forklift and a digital scale. they held 400lbs of pull without moving, then began to pull at around 500. it wasnt a catastrophic fail, they just started to come out through the topsheet slowly.

http://www.catalogds.com/db/service?dom ... rts_double

i did have to shorten these up a bit on the belt sander to get them flush without bubbling the base.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:49 am 

Sounds like a good easy to do solution Burner.
The pucks are a bit sort of brittle when drilling so take it easy if using a router/drill for slotting.

Phantoms/Sparks
Tokachi Dreaming

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm 

sorry, I haven't updated this in a while... ended up getting quite busy with work the past few months. :(

After taking a pretty bad bail on an icy incline(prob one of those times you wish you had crampons), I pulled two of the touring bracket inserts and have since replaced all 6 touring bracket inserts with t-nuts(may not be a problem for people who have got their touring technique down?).

Also prior to pulling the inserts I went with yogi's suggestion on using marcus' custom pucks and mounted using two original inserts and one helicoil insert per each puck half and have been taking quite the beating and still holding up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:39 am 

other ideas: for a non t-nut touring bracket, one could also sand through the top sheet, then epoxy on several layers of carbon fabric, splat the touring bracket on, then after that cures, drill through with 5 ski screws. Or you could epoxy on a 1/16th pre-cured piece of carbon fiber plate, then tap and screw into and through that plate.