Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turning chinese hooks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:31 am 

I am new to splitboarding, and I just got a Prior Brandywine. I have the problem that I cannot turn the chinese hooks in a way that they don't stick out in touring mode. More precisely, I can partially turn one, a stronger friend can turn 2 more (hardly), and one doesn't move at all. I tried loosening it, but I can only get the whole screw to turn in the board, which doesn't sound good.

I am wondering if it is best to just let the hooks stick out during touring, or if there is a way to loosen them? If I let them stick out, I am afraid that an icy chunk might hit them and turn them, and I won't be able to turn it back on the top of the mountain.

Can anybody give me some advice?

Post subject: Re: turning chinese hooks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:38 pm 

The allen wrench size for the Chinese hook bolt head on the bottom of the board is 3/32". Hold this bolt in place with the correct size allen key, and then loosen the nut on the top side of the board holding the center of the Chinese hook in place. Turn the nut, not the bolt. Once you have loosened it a little, grab the Chinese hook with a crescent wrench tightened down on the vertical fin of the Chinese hook, and wiggle it to free it up. It should break free and move easily assuming it is not glued down and you have loosened the bolt. Once it moves you can spray a little silicone lubricant on the deck at the Chinese hook, and then snug the nut down again until you reach the desired resistance. They should be fairly snug so that they can't move on their own, but not too tight so that you can't turn them with medium finger pressure.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

Post subject: Re: turning chinese hooks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:37 pm 

Thanks a lot for the clear instructions! Now I just need it to snow. :)