Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitting a Never Summer Raptor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:10 pm 

So I have a 2013 never summer raptor and a set of Karakoram bindings. As you know, the Raptor doesn't come in a split, and the karakoram bindings will not fit the board unless it was split.

I'm thinking about splitting the board and I found some guys in Montana that will split it for me. They charge $125 and They claim to be some of the best out there and I just want to hear from people that have split their own boards before.

Will this work well with karakoram hardware?

Does the inside edge get thrashed over the days without a metal edge to protect it?

Am I going to waste my money doing it?

Would you do this?

Post subject: Re: Splitting a Never Summer Raptor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:55 pm 

I demo'ed a 169 Raptor last year and it was total blast to ride. The best solid boards to splt have wood core. Newer boards with a lot tech in the core get weird when you split them. I would call Never Summer and ask them what they think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:03 pm 

It has a wood core. I live in Denver and went to talk to them. I asked NS if the Blaho brothers could split it for me but Never Summer declined my request. Even the fact that I live down the street they turned down splitting the Raptor. They would have split it for me no problem 2 years ago but they say their production has gotten too big for small jobs like splitting boards....
(end rant)

But the wood core, yes it has a wood core. You think its worth splitting for 125 dollars. With shipping and a tip, I feel like I am in the 200 dollar range to split it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:22 pm 

You can't bag on NS for not wanting the liability and work of splitting your board. They build boards not split them. Never Summer makes great snowboards and any would make a great splitty.

If your afraid to do it yourself (DIY) get the guys from Cold Smoke (Crested Butte) to do it for you. They are good guys, do great work and supported the Silverton Splitfest last year. http://coldsmokesplitboards.com/ Tell them Pedro sent you! You might also check out Down The Middle Customs (Utah), as Brian is an artist! http://customsplitboards.com/

Additionally you can look up a horror story of a supposed "expert" splitting boards. here http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12157 I dont know which guy you are talking about in Montana, but I do know the Cold Smoke guys.

I would personally worry less about getting the perfect splitboard and worry more about staying alive in the backcountry, but that's just me. Once you start to splitboard you will have a better idea of what you need and what you will not need as far as equipment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:25 pm 

Are these guys installing all the hardware? This seems steep, i think you can do this yourself and save 100$. Get some bros in on this and borrow their tools or invest yourself, your liable to split more boards in the future. Alaska splits the board and installs an inside edge for 200$ Ypu do the rest. :doobie: :guinness:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:40 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
You can't bag on NS for not wanting the liability and work of splitting your board. They build boards not split them. Never Summer makes great snowboards and any would make a great splitty.

I'm not bagging on them. They simply used to split boards for folks and now don't. I understand though.

As far as the crested bute guys, I think I'm going to send my board to them. Simply because they are more local than Montana

Does anyone know if the inside edge will get mangled over time?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:09 pm 

The metal edge can get more worked than the DIY cut edge in my experience. If the base gets a little chewed from rocks, you can just clean it up with a razor blade and a file, no edge repairs needed. Cold Smoke are cool guys, hopefully they will take good care of you.

Lets hope we get some good snow this year in Colorado or I will be spending a lot of money on road trips!

Cheers Bro :drinks:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:17 am 

Classic, my very first splitty was a Raptor 159, the board goes great. I did botch the cut slightly but it was my first DIY and rushing was not a good choice - long story but imagine in one evening stupidly trying to cut the split and inserts mount hardware seal inside edge etc, pack the 4wd for family snow trip for next morning early start, a few beers to relax after a tough week, forgot my reading glasses hence a slight measuring mishap, and a mate "trying to help". So the board now is a bit narrower than it should be but fortunately I have small feet. I love riding the board, its definitely got a good wooden core, and I have gotten over the cutting problems I had. And the board was 1 day old so maybe the nerves got the better of me!!!!! I'll see if I can dig out some photo's!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:47 am 

If I was to split a NS raptor, I would get it waterjet. My :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 am 

summersgone wrote:
If I was to split a NS raptor, I would get it waterjet. My :twocents:

Is that because of the carbonium topsheet and laminate?

richie wrote:
Classic, my very first splitty was a Raptor 159,

Did the carbonium topsheet get mangled? Is the flex the same?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:50 am 

Yes, and it is way more precise, and that is a beautiful board that I'd want to do everything right.

I'm looking for that exact board as my solid actually.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:32 am 

summersgone wrote:
Yes, and it is way more precise, and that is a beautiful board that I'd want to do everything right.

I'm looking for that exact board as my solid actually.

Will waterjet cutting make the core wet though?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:24 pm 

For maybe a millisecond? I have not heard on this of people experiencing problems, and it sounds to be the most precise and thinnest cut you can do.