Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012-12 Jones Solution 158
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:48 am 

Hey everyone,

just purchased a 2011 Jones solution splitboard.

Noticed that the length of the two splits at tip is slightly off, the right half being a cm or 2 greater. I have a question regarding splitboard build. Should the board be able to shift when the clips are in position? Meaning I can apply pressure and where the boards meet can actually shear up or down slightly. Is this due to the fact that a small gap exists where the board center is?

Post subject: Re: 2012-12 Jones Solution 158
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:42 am 

That sounds like a manufacturing flaw. The board shouldn't have gaps and the two sides should be the same length.

I personally think that having any gap that's big enough to pass anything through it is too big and will create drag. Will you notice this? Probably not.

Post subject: Re: 2012-12 Jones Solution 158
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:01 am 

I was told Jones manufactures their boards almost like skis... Hence why the colours, design, and boards don't match perfectly.

I just bought a Solution 168W and one tip is a bit long. We're talking very, very minor. Measured in mm.

My graphics are also off a few MM, and my "JONES" on the underside is inverted on one side. Sometimes you apparently get the same on both sides.

That being said, everything else looks great. My board does flex a bit between halves but no gap. It's just because it's not fastened in a way to prevent flex. No boards are.

Please keep in mind I'm new to splits, but overall the quality of my board seems great. Graphics aren't a huge thing for me but it would be nice if they were lined up a bit better.

Other manufactures take a board off their normal line, cut it in half, and install hardware. Or, cut the board after it's "made". This makes them match in most aspects.