Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

What size board should I get?
158 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
161 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Is a Jeremy Jones Solution 158 right for me?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm 

First off, this is my first post. Its a pleasure to be a part of this community.
I ordered the Jeremy Jones Solution 158 today. I'm 5'10 150 pounds and I shred up in Steamboat Springs Colorado. We get deep but light snow when mother nature is happy and I hope its big enough for back country access.

My normal resort board is a never summer SL 155. The 55 SL is a good stick even on deep days. I figured with the JJ Solution having a good set back already, it would be a great board for back country steamboat shenanigans. Do you think this will be enough board between my feet? I have the option to snag a 161 in case I change my mind but my last 161 was a Never Summer Titan and it was just too difficult to maneuver through the trees. I like to be nimble and fast edge to edge and just feel the 61 is too big. What do you all think?

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Is a Jeremy Jones Solution 158 right for me?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:36 am 

Anybody?

Who out there weighs 150 pounds, is around 5 10 that can give me any tips on what they split around with?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:25 am 

I used to live in Winter Park and rode Steamboat and Fish Creek side country several times a year. I'm 5'10 and at the time was probably around 165. The biggest board I rode was a pantera 159 and I think that was plenty, or possibly even a bit big for all the terrain I had seen. The steamboat area seems to be littered with mini-golf lines, but nothing really big or really steep. So in my opinion the need or desire to have a longer cruisy-er board might not make as much sense. I may be way off, but that's what I saw. Most of the time up there I was on a 155 and quite happy.

I've taken my solution 163 out once (weight probably closer to 180# now) and I think it's less of a handful than the pantera 59. My riding style has changed since I ride steeper and tighter terrain far more regularly now.

tl;dr: I think I would be happier with a more playful shorter board in Steamboat area terrain. I think if you get the 61 it will still be manageable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:47 pm 

thanks. That was all I needed to hear. I feel a lot better about it now.
I started another post about possibly splitting my raptor 159. Maybe that will be better for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:22 am 

Boat Shredder wrote:
I ordered the Jeremy Jones Solution 158 today. I'm 5'10 150 pounds and I shred up in Steamboat Springs Colorado.

Right on man, I like your style.

I am 5’ 7” 155 live/ride in Mammoth and I have the Solution 158 for BC and a 156cm V-rocker board for in bounds. I have no problem keeping up with anyone and if I ever get stuck in deep snow it’s because I was stupid and zigged when I should of zagged. Granted we live in two entirely different snowpacks but I just don’t feel the need for an excessively long board just because it’s deep snow. In my opinion, the shapes of the newer boards do all the work for you, rocker/camber goes a long way.

Just my two cents, good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:38 am 

I think you're good on a 158. If you lived in Utah, Canada, PNW, or the San Juans, I'd size up for backcountry unless you are rocking a straight-up powder-specific board..

I'm 5'10", 165 lbs and I ride 155-157 on resort days. I have a custom v-rocker 156 that rips powder (but can get a little squirly on hardpack at high speeds), a sherlock 157 for deeper days and more aggressive riding, and a nug 150 that I ride most resort days because it's just too fun and floats like a magic carpet. For backcountry, I ride 161-162. If I lived in Utah, I'd probably own a barricuda or fish under 156 in length but I'd stick with a 162 for splitting.

Some riders prefer longer, more aggressive boards, some don't. The important thing is to choose the correct tool for the job based the conditions and what you plan to ride that day. My GF is 5'4" and rides a 152 at the resort because she says it feels more stable to ride a bigger board... it's all in your head to a certain extent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:32 am 

Hmm I am contemplating a similar question... After a few years of wanting to get a Splitboard I am finally taking the plung but I can't decide between the Solution 158 or 161. I like the idea of a playful board but when you're going on longer trips like on Svalbard with a heavy backpack (~20kg) I can see the merits of a longer board.

5'9 145lbs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 am 

I ditched the solution and I went with the Never Summer Raptor 159. I think its going to be perfect for everything

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:44 pm 

158 should be perfect for your size, keep in mind the nose on that Solution has mega float, so depending on your ability you could even size down to the 156 because the board rides longer than it is (many pow boards do these days). 161 would be overkill in my opinion, I ride in the NW on the 158-161 Flagship (which the Solution is modeled after) and I'm 5'11' and pushing 200 (damn those Ninkasi IPA's). The Flagship is hands-down one of the best powder boards I've been on. I rode the 161 in the deepest of snow I've ever been in (seriously, neck deep in places) and I went over the handlebars once, maybe twice all day, and due to my own error. The nose on that board just doesn't want to sink, it planes ridiculously well. And no I don't work for Jones, just psyched on their boards.

Now if you have larger feet you may want to consider a wider version as the Solution has a pretty narrow waist, but as boot construction has slimmed down like crazy over the years you're probably safe unless you have sasquatch feet. Personal preference of course, you're sacrificing a bit of edge control if you go wider.

Happy shredding

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:32 pm 

Well I on the other hand took the dive and bought a 158 solution. I only hope that a 249mm wide board is wide enough for a 10 boot size...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:29 pm 

Size 10's on that should be solid, going much more than that might be pushing it depending on the boot/bindings/stance angle. I've put 11's on the 158 (probably not recommended at most shops) and had no major issue, a little drag on traverses but definitely no complaints.