Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: jones 12/13 build quality- anyone seen the goods?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:33 am 

Supra wrote:
What does that prove? His samples looked good. I'm sure his Tunisian samples looked good too. Just above chef Ben wrote that the new solution he saw had skewed graphics...which seems par for the course from last year. Don't get me wrong, I want jones to succeed and I like the shape of his boards, but like I said , it's going to take a season of positive reviews before I can consider them. Splits are so damn expensive that I can't afford or want to afford buying something which wasn't properly made.

Well the original question was if anyone had seen the new boards. Have you? I did, and hence the quote shredgnar posted. I have one of the original run Solutions, so I know what the old build quality was like. I saw the new ones on display at two separate Further showings, and those were night and day better in quality. I also spoke to Chad quite a bit about it, and that further improved my perception of this years board. I've ridden with the guy too, so I don't think I'm just drinking the kool-aid.

If there was any graphics misalignment, I didn't see it, but honestly I wasn't looking that closely at the graphics. Though I will say the new Svalbard map graphics look waaay better than that lame blue topo from last year. :) I actually still prefer the graphics on the original Solution. But build quality-wise, they just looked sick. That seems to be what everyone else here has experienced as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 am 

I own a 12/13 Solution 168W

Quality seems as good as any other board I've owned, but I will admit the graphics don't line up perfect. That being said, it's not a huge concern for me. I'm not out there for flash and show.

I've only got out on the board once so we'll see how it progresses with more use, but I enjoyed the ride! Either my skills aren't exceptional (which is true), but I find that I can't feel much difference between boards. My Rossignal Experience (Jones board) solid rides great, but so does this Solution..

A guy I rode with two weeks ago thought my Solution was way lighter than his shorter Libtech. I didn't compare and just took his word.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 pm 

I've gotten a few days on my carbon Flagship. Solid board so far. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:16 pm 

I took the risk and oder based on your feedback.
So far super happy. quality is as good as a venture. everything lines up and is super tight. top sheet looks cool just need to see its snow shedding properties before saying I am in love. next test is robustness. I am hoping the base is as good as a venture, if so I will be super happy.

Ride is tbc. as so far I keep sticking to my old board until we have a great base. however I am slowly running out of excuses as we have had more than 1m in the last 5 days in Switzerland. maybe next weekend will see its maiden voyage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:16 pm 

Just got my replacement Hover60 - sold the solid to get it as a split. Quality seems fine from a construction standpoint, though the mtn graphic at the tail does not line up (off by ~1cm). Pretty minor and not a bother, but frustrating nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:22 pm 

tiltedworld wrote:
the mtn graphic at the tail does not line up (off by ~1cm). Pretty minor...

Do you mean 1mm or 1cm? A centimeter is nearly half an inch. That's a LOT!

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:08 pm 

So after ordering my first 12/13 Solution on 9/24, I have just sent back my second Solution due to manufacture defects. My first defective board was sent to me with untapped puck holes, so I couldn’t screw the pucks to the board and had to return it to REI. Luckily, Wave Rave snowboard shop had the exact board so I just purchased a second board from them and returned my untapped board to REI.

After my first tour on my second board the nose started to delam, plus there was a half inch difference between the halves when the board was together. The verdict was that the puck holes were not lined up on either half of the splitboard causing the half inch differential. And...the de-lamination on the nose was a manufacturers defect and needs to be returned. So after two defective 12/13 Jones Solutions, I am out. Never Summer for me in 12/13. I hope Jones pulls it together next year because I really dig him as a human being and want to support his company but I refuse to ride a defective board in the BC.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:23 pm 

Wow, that sucks! Those were definitely 2013 models, with the Svalbard map topsheet? Jones needs to hear about that. Definitely sounds like some inconsistency. All the ones I've seen so far have been top-notch. Sounds like others are seeing the total other end of the spectrum.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure the pucks were mounted properly? I've mounted them incorrectly before (had discs on one half with incorrect A/B orientation), and that can cause what you describe. If you put the board together w/o the bindings mounted and the halves lined up, did the inserts look aligned? 1/2" difference would be pretty obvious. If so that's a pretty damn bad defect.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:28 pm 

jimw wrote:
Wow, that sucks! Those were definitely 2013 models, with the Svalbard map topsheet? Jones needs to hear about that. Definitely sounds like some inconsistency. All the ones I've seen so far have been top-notch. Sounds like others are seeing the total other end of the spectrum.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure the pucks were mounted properly? I've mounted them incorrectly before (had discs on one half with incorrect A/B orientation), and that can cause what you describe. If you put the board together w/o the bindings mounted and the halves lined up, did the inserts look aligned? 1/2" difference would be pretty obvious. If so that's a pretty damn bad defect.

So not being anything close to an expert on setting up a split board, I figured everything was my fault and I just set up my board incorrectly and when I brought it to the shop everything would be worked out. But even after several different shop employees tried to align the halves of the board it still had a 1/2” differential, not to mention the terrible nose delam that was definitely going to get worse. With all the above mentioned, it was decided that I would send the board back and get a refund so I could purchase a proper board. And the first board didn’t have any threads in the puck holes so I know it wasn’t me being a retard as usual...

I hate that this happened, Jeremy Jones seems like a decent human being and I really wanted to represent him & his company in the Sierra BC this year. But I can not justify spending $850 and not getting a quality product, and maybe even putting my life in danger with a defective product in the BC. I still would purchase a Jones split board if & when all the kinks are worked out, so if there is a way to get feedback to Jones himself I would be extremely interested in letting him know.

Thanks for the interest and yes the board is in fact a 2012/2013 model with the Svalbard map top sheet...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:31 pm 

Sounds like it was just totally messed up (twice!), which sucks. Definitely let them know, I think these days the best way is probably either though their Facebook page or via the contact link on their website. I know they're super busy and people have had mixed results here getting responses, varying from them sending out replacement boards to no response. I will say having met and toured with the guys there, they are stand-up guys and I know they will want to know if people are getting lemons, they don't want bad product out there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:55 am 

Australian update
After waithing months for boards that have been pre ordered and promised to me downunder, I have been informed that no Solutions or carbons are available to us this year :scratch: :cry:
Looks like we just get the scraps of Hoover Crafts and Mt Twins?
Totally pissed with the whole Jones experience :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Not sure if the build quality is the issue!!
Hope this gets to the right people and perhaps it can get resolved.
Waiting 12 months for boards is not OK

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
tiltedworld wrote:
the mtn graphic at the tail does not line up (off by ~1cm). Pretty minor...

Do you mean 1mm or 1cm? A centimeter is nearly half an inch. That's a LOT!

Took a better look and measured - more like 3-4mm ~ the width of the border line of the mtn. It looks like the film just was slightly off on one side, as the board itself lines up perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:15 pm 

I ordered a carbon solution via REI and just got it. The workmanship looks good but the messed up the placement of one Karakoram Splitboard Clips. The holes are about 3-5 mm off. So when engaged the clip is not snug and the only thing holding the back of the boar snug it the plastic end hook. Not good. Will return and try again but this seems like something that should have been caught in any reasonable QA check at the factory.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next