Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PSA: K2 Panoramic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:52 pm 

Hey guys, I have come across some issues with the K2 Panoramic and I thought I'd share to make sure you guys are getting exactly what you pay for.

As you may have noticed, the new 2013 looks quite similar to the 2012, however it features the new tweakends tech which is supposedly 'awesome' as per K2 rider justin Lamoureux. I'll link the video later.
Anyways, according to K2, the only difference between the two model years is the serial number. If it starts with an 11, then it's the 2011-2012 model. If it starts with a 12, then you have the 2013 with the tweakends tech. There is also a sticker on the board mentioning the tweakends.

There are a number of online sites who are listing the board without the model year listed so check it out before you buy.

I personally think that if k2 or any company change the tech in a board, then they should make it easier for the consumer to be able to tell the difference between the old and new models. I am dealing with a situation right now where the online shop sent me a Panoramic without chinese hooks (and miscut halves), which was promptly exchanged by k2 for a new one, which I have now found to be a 2012. I am not sure whether the shop screwed up or K2.
The investigation is ongoing...

Post subject: Re: PSA: K2 Panoramic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:22 pm 

Thanks for the heads up, and sorry you are having problems.

I feel like compared to last year, there are about 3x as many closeout boards available this time of year.

In one way it's a blessing that so many more manufacturers have jumped into the fray and are producing more boards, as this will push down the price of gear, which of course we like.

On the other hand as boards become more mass produced, there are likely to be lots more manufacturing defects and shoddy production quality in the mix.

And unfortunately, I'm finding that most shops that sell splitboards employ staff who know next to nothing about them. Which is probably why they shipped your deck with no chinese hooks.

Bummer! Hope you get a quick and satisfying resolution.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:47 pm 

Well, I am happy to say that all has been resolved. I have in my hands a 2013 panoramic, with the tweakends and a serial number that starts with '12'.
I have taken photos of both boards and will put them up this weekend so you can check out the difference in rocker profiles.
The only downer about this whole experience is the build quality of the 2013, while still good, isn't as good as the 2012's. The 2012's was perfect. The two halves fit together perfectly. On the 2013 there is a slight slight gap, but nothing worth crying about. But still, I had a perfect one in my hands for a few days...sniff.
Also, on the 2013, one of the tbolt holes for the chinese hooks isn't deep enough and the tbolt is sticking out just a hair. I might drill the hole a smidge to make it sit deeper.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:09 am 

Here are the comparison photos I took for the 2012 Panoramic and 2013.

Not much difference in the graphics. Apparently none at all, but the 2013 seems darker, also the black bits on the end are a different shape on the 2012.

Nose
The rocker starts really early for the 2012 while the 2013 is flat then a slight rocker. This is the tweekends tech.

Waist
You can see slight camber for the 2013 while the 2012 is completely flat

Tail
Again, more rocker in the 2012

and finally, my setup!

So, it seems to me like the 2013 is more for all conditions and the 2012 was optimized for pow, but Justin Lamoureux says the tweekends makes pow riding better - who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:39 pm 

Supra wrote:
Hey guys, I have come across some issues with the K2 Panoramic and I thought I'd share to make sure you guys are getting exactly what you pay for.

As you may have noticed, the new 2013 looks quite similar to the 2012, however it features the new tweakends tech which is supposedly 'awesome' as per K2 rider justin Lamoureux. I'll link the video later.
Anyways, according to K2, the only difference between the two model years is the serial number. If it starts with an 11, then it's the 2011-2012 model. If it starts with a 12, then you have the 2013 with the tweakends tech. There is also a sticker on the board mentioning the tweakends.

The wife picked me up one of these last week and I cant tell if its 2013 model(she unwrapped it and de-stickered it). where exactly do you find the serial number?

Magnetos & Blazes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:26 pm 

good question. it took me ages to find it. It's on the outside edge of the right ski, just above the heel riser holes. It's super super faint. Even when I know where to look it still takes me a bit to find it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 pm 

Supra wrote:
good question. it took me ages to find it. It's on the outside edge of the right ski, just above the heel riser holes. It's super super faint. Even when I know where to look it still takes me a bit to find it

Thanks for the response, found it and it starts with 11. Se didnt pay full price(I think the whole kit was on sale for $740) so I dont feel ripped off. Its my first splitty, and cant wait to try it out when we finally get some damn snow up here in the PNW.

Magnetos & Blazes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:56 pm 

$540 for the kit is dirt cheap! nice one. However, was it listed as a 2013?

FWIW my friend has the 2012 and he loves it. That's what convinced me to go with K2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 am 

thanks for the detailed description & pics, i was already wondering what has been changed in the new boards. now i know!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:29 pm 

Supra wrote:
$540 for the kit is dirt cheap! nice one. However, was it listed as a 2013?

FWIW my friend has the 2012 and he loves it. That's what convinced me to go with K2

Nah, they didnt try to advertise it as anything more than it was, but it also didnt specifically have a year marked. All they said was that no one had even asked about buying it before us and it had already been in the shop for about 6 months or so. Im assuming they just wanted to get rid of it lol. It's a lot bigger than Im used to riding at 162(154 salomon grip for cruising around and a 160 powdersnake for when it dumps on the resort)(Im only 5'7" 160 ish) but we couldnt pass up the price. maybe later this season I'll pick up a set of split specific bindings, but for now I threw some extra burton missions. the voile light rail? look pretty nice, but i dont know how it would feel going from padded binders to no padding. hows it on yours?

Magnetos & Blazes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:08 pm 

Like you, at first, I was wary of these split binders without any padding...but I don't notice it really. You'll get used to it. Also, get Sparks instead of the light rails. They're on sale at mountaingear right now (last year's models)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 am 

Update: had my first day on the 13 Panoramic, and it was pretty damn good. I'm coming from an old beatup Prior Khyber 165, so this was heaven. The topsheet is super tough as I had a number of sliding backwards before spread-eagle-ing on my face accidents on the steeper sections of the track. I was sure the crossed skis would have done some damage...but no. Before the hike we did some powder laps of the groomers and afterwards we bombed through the chop. This board was great! It rides like a solid and the flat camber is good for carving. In powder, it feels more like a camber board but I need more testing as the pow higher up had a slight sun/wind crust on it. Overall, very happy!