Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocker/flat/Rocker - Good one quiver split for Wasatch?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:46 pm 

Found the Palindrome shape pretty interesting and it seems well suited for conditions in the Wasatch. I'm going to have just one split this winter for everything from early season to mid winter submarine trips & spring corn descents. So I'm not looking to spend a lot and fret over taking a run that may be a little bare in the early season or unfriendly to the ride for whatever reason.

I just want to shred stress free and get good float.. Thinking camber is unnecessary for Wasatch bc and the V-rocker like shape in the Palindrome could make for a really fun season.

Anyone ridden this or have an opinion on whether the board quality of Voile is approaching the more pricey offerings (Venture, etc.)? I don't want something that's going to be shifting around underfoot on the seam.

Also - being an avowed opponent of cap construction the sidewall on this model has me stoked. Any feedback on Voile's sidewall quality/durability is appreciated.

http://www.voile.com/voile-splitboards/ ... -2013.html

Thanks in advance for the help.. hope to see more white in the cottonwoods soon!

Post subject: Re: Rocker/flat/Rocker - Good one quiver split for Wasatch?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:49 am 

Just throwing my :twocents: out there but my go to split in the wasatch is the jones hovercraft. Rode the solid their first season and picked up the split last year. This board handled everything from skinny October runs at alta, deep days mid winter, and corn in the spring. Its camber but float is amazing and chop isn't an issue. If you're ok with a directional it's worth taking a look at.

162 never summer DIY
Karakoram SL's

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm 

That Voile is a perfect board for all seasons in the wasatch, provided its long enough for ya, meaning you weigh 155 or like small boards

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:50 pm 

i weigh 190ish.. probably 215 with gear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:34 pm 

provotrout wrote:
i weigh 190ish.. probably 215 with gear

Unless you are riding groomers the hooverboard is way too little for your size. Id recomend a board be equal to ones height for the wasatch. Try a swallowtail if you want to enjoy the local pow,, but definitely a different vibe than a skate influenced stick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:08 am 

Ah, you've been cornered by two long board riders, I'm your weight and ride a 184 by 26, Obviously anything works in UT snow, question is one of style, with more surface area, your speed is higher out of each turn, but more goo stuck on your board in May. Maybe 170-175 is your target length.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:18 pm 

an angel came down from the heavens and told me a 161 Unicorn Chaser would do the trick. Not exactly abiding the low cost route but I can't resist the pull of Chimera.

170, 180... jeebus, I've never ridden anything more than a 161. Took some runs at PowMow last weekend on a 155 flying v solid and floated just fine, fun riding. High speed would obviously get a little sketchy at that size but something in the 160-164 range should work out well.

thanks for the input

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm 

I had a conversation with the same angel last April/May---and I became spellbound by the allure of the Unicorn Chaser. I haven't given the beast a whirl yet but I am anticipating a good time. It is a beautiful board.

I am 205 lbs without gear---but I have found that I have had enough float with my Voile Mojo 161 in the snowpacks of the Sierras and Cascades. I have yet to sample UT powder---only hardpack. I have a Venture Storm 165 for days spent in more open terrain--and it is a great board (for me). I bought the Unicorn Chaser for days spent in the tight tress of a few favorite runs in the Tahoe area.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:05 pm 

Ya rip da big board for da powda.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:26 am 

Green base.. I think they just need to put the topsheet on and other stuff I don't know about. The Chimera rep has been easy to work with so far. I was worried b/c no Chimeras were in the shops but once I reached out to them they were responsive and gave me turnaround times and available stock. Pretty stoked to pick 'er up.

this one with a neon green base..