Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new solid/ split Furburg vs Odin vs skunk ape
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:58 am 

Hello all, I've been lurking on here for quite some time and with the absence of snowboarding this time of year I have enough time to start posting.

Looking into a new solid board and possibly a split for the upcoming year. I've always kind of dreamed of having a split and a solid of the same board and the pre rocker voile is feeling a little bit outdated. The problem with buying one of each being it's such a large investment to make I want to pick the right one.
The solid board will be for ridding resorts across the country/ snow machine access in Alaska. My riding style is basically high speed through variable conditions pure powder I'll be riding my v-tail no matter resort or bc. I'm 6 foot and 225lbs and that combined with not liking to slow down has resulted in breaking about a board a year for the last few years.

I bought the flagship last year and it's kind of a love hate relationship. That board is Stiff! Also some how got talked into the 164 and is not quite enough board. Really it's just not playful enough and in really bad conditions when you're trying to haul but can't get going fast enough for the board it is difficult to ride. Last spring on a icy choppy day I swapped with a buddy riding a Rossie experience and was blown away how much easier it was to ride just from having that little bit more flex through the bumps. Went from struggling to keep up to waiting at the bottom. I think I would like the Jones as a split but for daily riding it's just a bit too intense.

So I'm looking at the furburg 173, Odin 172 and skunk ape 172. The skunk ape is kind of a strange choice but I'm a little bit of a sucker for the zombie bob Ross. A bunch the bigger guys back home have been riding the 180 skunks and loving them.

So to sum it up board needs to be able to handle everything, corn, bullet proof ice, powder etc., but be a little more fun then the Jones. My idea of resort riding may be a little skewed as I've been riding Baker the last few years which means groomers are just for carrying speed doing very long turns, very little park, and if the snow conditions aren't good I'll probably be trying to do jump turns down icy shoots. Love some tight trees but not to worried about being able to turn after riding the 190 through a lot of them last year.

Is the furburg going to be weird on a average resort day?

Am I going to run into the same problem as the jones with the Odin just to stiff?

Any other options I should really consider?

Wow don't think I've wrote that much since I was in school, hope it makes sense. Thanks in advance for any input

Jones flagship 164 solid

Post subject: Re: new solid/ split Furburg vs Odin vs skunk ape
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:08 pm 

The Odin is mega stiff. One of the stiffest out there probably. If you like Ventures you should check out the Helix, as its their least stiff split.

There are a lot of snappy/playful splits out there. Burton Freebird, Prior AMF, Voile Artisan.... honestly I love my Mojo RX for all around use. The Zephyr holds a way more stable line at high speed and high expose situations, but the Mojo is super fun for powder and all around use.

Good luck...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:42 am 

Hey thanks for the response and recommendations. I think I am defiantly looking for a board on the stiffer side of the spectrum just not quite as stiff as the Jones which is like saying I would like it to be a little less stiff then a steel I-beam.

I do want a directional board as switch riding is not that important to me and I think having some set back and some taper is a good thing.

I am looking forward to hearing about the artisan. It is a big change for voile but I think it is trying to hard to please everyone a directional twin never really made sense to me.

I have been looking at other ventures and sounds like you're pretty happy with your zephyr? I realize the Odin is a stiff board but I am just curious how stiff.

I would love to hear from someone who has ridden both the Odin and the Jones flagship!

Jones flagship 164 solid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:49 am 

Also after reading through the whole furburg thread I am super stoked on them! Pretty sure I need one even if it turns out to not be the end all be all board I am looking for.

Jones flagship 164 solid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:20 am 

Skunkape is the beat board i've ever ridden, I ride a split mojo rx but I think if you want directional you should check out lib techs birdman. Its their answer to a swallow trail but with the variable abilities that all lib techs are known for.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:15 am 

If you dont like stiff boards dont get the Oden. Get the Venture Euphoria!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:22 pm 

Haha though I would love a reason to buy both a birdman and a euphoria :drool: those are both awfully powder specific boards which is not really what I am looking for.

Jones flagship 164 solid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 am 

My bad, I meant the Zephyr. The Euphoria did not always look like this
2012Image2010Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:09 pm 

FWIW I've got a 164 Odin split and a 164 Flagship; the Odin is less stiff, especially through the nose.

If you break lots of boards (it sounds like you're a sasquatch), I think you'd be stoked on a Venture. They're not light, but they're bomber.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:48 am 

I have the 163w flagship, 168w solution and the 173 furberg. And if you think the jones is too stiff i would look in to other makes. The furberg is slightly softer, but it is definetively a quiver board. the furberg is a truly remarkable board for powder riding, but it is not very well suited for riding groomers. its possible, but its not especially good at it. Also the long turning radius makes it very heavy in tight trees

I'm probably not the the best to ask about this because i find the jones to be very playful, especially the 163. I have heard good things about the mojo RX and if the artisan is the similar maybe that could be your board?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 pm 

Get the Euphoria that thing is bad... :drool:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:22 pm 

Nesse wrote:
The furberg is slightly softer, but it is definetively a quiver board. the furberg is a truly remarkable board for powder riding, but it is not very well suited for riding groomers. its possible, but its not especially good at it.

Agreed,,, sort of. I have to say that for me, the furberg was a life changing ride. The interesting thing for me was how much i loved the furberg on ice/chopped/bumpy/ect. I have no problem keeping up with my ski buddies in clean pow, or flying down groomers. But I noticed a HUGE improvement in the shit conditions with the furberg. I ride this board all the time now. But, the only reason that i really board groomers is to get to the 'other stuff', so i don't mind the performance on groomers,,, but thats just me.

If you read the furberg thread, then probably already read my review of that board, and can probably tell that i drank the furberg kool-aid and have been peer pressuring others into drinking it too... what can i say. im a believer. :bow:

also, i spent a lot of time on Jones boards (flagship 164&168 and hovercraft 160) before switching, and outside of carving corduroy on the hover (which it RIPS at!!!) i don't miss a thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:18 pm 

^^^Furberg Kool-Aid!!! :D