Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: solution, spearhead, or what else?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 pm 

with so many boards on sale right now i think it's time to replace my haggard old '07 Mojo. It's 171 and has always been too big, too slow, too heavy but well-loved anyways.

the question is of all the boards on sale right now, which one do i want. haven't had a chance to test anything else that's out there.

i live in Colorado and ride mainly in the winter + spring. i'm not much of a mountaineer and don't find myself in a lot of icy chutes, but get plenty of days and I do want to be able to go anywhere. i also want something that i can still take on hour-long low-angle afternoon tours with my dog. can keep the old mojo for rocky october days and spring slush if i need to. this board will be for winter pow, but i want something that doesn't need 20 yards to get enough speed to make the first turn (like my mojo). and rocker or some sort. i am 100% sold on rocker.

looks like my options are a 66 Spearhead, 65 Solution, 65 Backcountry or... something i missed? (fissile seems like overkill)

i am inclined to think the solution is best, but it weirds me out to have magna-traction in the middle between the sticks. i can't imagine they fit together too well?

anyone have experience with these boards, or ideas for something else i should look at?

thanks all

Post subject: Re: solution, spearhead, or what else?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:53 pm 

Well, the board you're looking for seems to be the Jones Hovercraft, very good float & fast turns at low speed on non steep terrain...

The only problem is that the 2011/2012 one is a piece of crap - I've had 2 of those boards and they both started to delaminate (on the top) after a dozen tours... I'd buy the 2012/2013 version as it seems they fixed the problem.

I mainly use the Jones Solution (I don't have any delamination problem, maybe I'm lucky...), which is a great board for steep terrain and high speed turns - it does work well on normal terrain (rocker) but It's not designed for sharp turns, especially on low-angle terrain.

If you're looking for a cheap way to get a shorter rocker board, check out the Burton Freebird, it's pretty light, rocker, short (158-162) - I bought one for EUR 460 in France, complete with Skins, Voilé hardware and crampons (normal price is EUR 800) - the board is OK (much better float than my previous mojo RX) - not really stiff enough for me (I'm 80kg) but a great option if you want to be accompanied :)

Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about other options are they're not that many available here (they're mostly grey market import)...

Post subject: Re: solution, spearhead, or what else?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:12 pm 

Sounds to me that if you really want a board which can ride pow at lower speeds you should be looking at the high taper designs like the Prior Khyber, or Chimera Unicorn Chaser. High taper boards will also ride reasonably well at higher speeds, but they excel in not requiring one to get up to speed as the front of the board will always be planing (even while the tail is ploughing). The Jones Hovercraft is similar, as the stance is well setback even though it does not have as much taper as these other boards.
I prefer to get up to speed before turning, and choose furberg, Venture Storm, and have a custom Chimera Mace with rocker coming for next season... But these type boards do work better when allowed to get up to speed and plane.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/