Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cambered pow sticks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:40 pm 

http://www.geargenius.com/content/snowboard-genius/snowboard-news/burtons-family-tree

2 out of 5 of Burton's new pow sticks have a traditional camber. Does this mark the end of the second coming of rocker technology?

Post subject: Re: cambered pow sticks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 pm 

I got a T.Rice the first year it was available with banana and haven't looked back. It was the first time I bought a current seasons model, as I always waited until the summer for the good deals, these weren't lasting. It was the best snowboard I ever owned, after riding camber since the early 90's. I just retired it as my go to deck and became my early/late season. I loved it so much I got a new one. I doubt I'll ever ride a traditional camber again after riding those for the past few years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:48 pm 

802smuggler
The non camber thing is an issue for us downunder.
We dont get endless powder and most days are hard and fast so a rocker board is not the prefered ride.
I think the only ones left doing a tradtional style camber board are Prior, Unity, Burton, Jones, Chimera

Any others?

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:38 am 

I just love that cheetah. 159 makes me sad though, would love to see it in a 172 or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 am 

Hey Bob,
Burton is really working on shortening up their decks, think jones hovercraft. They are producing more surface area with wider waist widths (mere millimeters), elongated contact points, and new geometry in the flex patterns. When the nug came out people assumed it was a park board. I just spent the morning at Burton and picked up a nug directional 152 for riding the steep tight trees here in Vermont. (Got it at a dirt bag price). It has a big shovel, taper, and set back. It's pretty similar to the fish in my opinion with a different tip and tail and a lesser taper, however the tail is still relatively short. It's also a true banana rocker. Should be interesting. Also, this is the board that they are basing the spliff split on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-1eLEcVG94&feature=player_embedded
Dave Downing on the nug.
Sorry for the thread drift.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:00 am 

saign wrote:
I got a T.Rice the first year it was available with banana and haven't looked back. It was the first time I bought a current seasons model, as I always waited until the summer for the good deals, these weren't lasting. It was the best snowboard I ever owned, after riding camber since the early 90's. I just retired it as my go to deck and became my early/late season. I loved it so much I got a new one. I doubt I'll ever ride a traditional camber again after riding those for the past few years.

I've heard that other brands rockered boards don't handle well at high speeds and hard packed, being unstable and such. My lib is an absolute killer in all terrain. Like I said the best snowboard I have ever owned hands down.

I got a venture zephyr 64 split about a month ago and have ridden it every weekend since, probably around 15,000 vert. I'm new to splitting so I don't know if its just because its a splitboard, and it is 64 compared to my T.Rice 61.5, but the way my lib handles is incomparable. Mt lib feels like a ferarri in comparison, as far as edge hold, stability, pop, response....and weight of coarse. The flat between the feet, and rockered tip and tail of the venture, along with the lack of magnetraction make it a much sloppier ride on firm snow. I haven't got it out on pow yet, and I imagine it will float like none other. And don't get me wrong, it handles fine and is totally shreddable, and I am comparing a solid to a split, but I can totally feel the difference in the profile of the rocker and edge. Lib has got it right, and I think the rest of the snowboarding world has been trying to copy with limited success.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:41 am 

I have loved Lib Tech for years. After riding all kinds of boards for 25 years, the T.Rice split was the 2nd rockered board I have owned. I love the T.Rice in soft snow and find the board great, but I have gone back to my Lib Skunk Ape regular camber from "09" because it holds a far superior edge on hard pack. I wish they would just put camber between the feet with a bit of rocker tip and tail on the new Libs. I also hated the way the rocker between the feet on that T.Rice toured. it absolutely sucked compared to camber boards in ski mode. the T.Rice "drifts" real bad when trying to ski out of a flat logging road or anytime it is better to ski a short section instead of transitioning.

I just bought a Jones solution 163 wide split because it is supposed to have camber between the feet. after getting the board I am disappointed to find that the board looks more rocker all the way than camber between the feet. I am sure it will tour better than the T.Rice, but not as well as my DIY regular camber skunk ape. I won’t be buying another Lib until they come out with a camber under foot split. I do like the T.Rice in ride mode in soft pow, playful and fun. I just think they could have the same thing but change their camber profile.

just my opinion

TY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:58 pm 

I'm going to be selling the Stellar that is in the photo in this thread:
http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12999

It's the precursor to the Cheetah, and was only available for sale in Japan.

SOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:52 pm 

Another fan of camber here. Got on the rocker train early with a Lib Tech as well, and as fun as that board was, it just wasn't versatile enough, especially once it became a split. I have been enjoying the S-camber in my Rome Notch ST a lot however. Long rockered nose, camber under foot, big gun for big pow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:28 pm 

firstlight wrote:
802smuggler
The non camber thing is an issue for us downunder.
We dont get endless powder and most days are hard and fast so a rocker board is not the prefered ride.
I think the only ones left doing a tradtional style camber board are Prior, Unity, Burton, Jones, Chimera

Any others?

Cheers

-Rossignol Amptek is the same way as the Jones combo profile

-And I think Atomic's snowboards' profiles are different levels of 'Pop Rocker' but are supposed to be the camber underfoot with the 'pop rocker' at the tips (but that's hard to find on their website, or the website for snowboards isn't even working right now) - snowdb.com has illustrations of their tech so I think I'm correct
http://www.snowdb.com/technologies/atom ... -rocker-at
http://www.snowdb.com/technologies/atom ... ll-terrain

-Voile has camber underfoot, with a rockered nose I think

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:12 am 

802smuggler wrote:
Hey Bob,
Burton is really working on shortening up their decks, think jones hovercraft. They are producing more surface area with wider waist widths (mere millimeters), elongated contact points, and new geometry in the flex patterns. When the nug came out people assumed it was a park board. I just spent the morning at Burton and picked up a nug directional 152 for riding the steep tight trees here in Vermont. (Got it at a dirt bag price). It has a big shovel, taper, and set back. It's pretty similar to the fish in my opinion with a different tip and tail and a lesser taper, however the tail is still relatively short. It's also a true banana rocker.

I am a big guy, 6'3" and 240lb, a 159 is literally a toy on my feet. I really enjoy a nice long rocker nose on a camber deck with big setback and swallowtail. I realise this is not mainstream however and at the moment I buy boards and do my own swallowtail conversions which works out pretty good for me.
That cheetah just has so many things I like in a board, I love seeing it in the market place and I hope it can make people appreciate how good a real powder stick can be, its exciting times really compared to the last few years. Its just a pity terje wasnt born 20% bigger lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:29 am 

H.R. Flufnstuf wrote:
I'm going to be selling the Stellar that is in the photo in this thread:
http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12999

It's the precursor to the Cheetah, and was only available for sale in Japan.

Lovely board, do you have any specs on it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:47 am 

BobGnarly wrote:
I am a big guy, 6'3" and 240lb, a 159 is literally a toy on my feet.

Yea, you're a big boy Bob. I can understand why you'd scoff at a 159. :thumbsup:
I know a non affiliated web store that's selling a rome notch swallow tail for around $280. Won't mention them here but pm me if you're interested. I loved the idea but I think it was just too big and stiff, err, for what I was looking for.