Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Donek Hazelwood Reviews?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:08 pm 

Anybody out there own a Donek Hazelwood? I'm considering buying one, to use for all conditions here in the PNW, from trees, powder, variable snow conditions, to Mt Baker summits as well as a few others in the area. Any thoughts on this? I'm 6'1" 190lbs, thinking 170-180 range with a 270mm ish waist for my size 13US boots. If you own or have ridden one, please let me know your thoughts overall on the board, what conditions you used it in, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Donek Hazelwood Reviews?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:32 am 

Hit up Snowman1, he has the inside track at Donek. I have yet to ride a Donek split, but they make a graet snowboard.... without a doubt! :thumpsup:

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11030&hilit=donek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:19 pm 

Thanks for the response Pedro.

Just placed my order for my Hazelwood Split with Karakoram Clips. Specs go as follows:

Length: 182cm
Nose Width: 321mm
Waist Width: 267mm
Tail Width: 305mm
SCR: 10.3-12.3m progressive
Effective Edge: will post once I remember/confirm

I'll post a review once I receive it and put it through the paces, but seeing as Nationals are next week, the Donek Shop will be closed, so he won't be able to get started until the week of the 9th. Anyways, pray for the late April snow we had last year, so I can give her a proper review.

Any suggestions for skins to fit? I picked up some Voile Splitboard Skins from dogfunk.com for 50% off, positive I would be going with a shorter length, but now I'm not sure they will fit, in length or width. Supposedly they are 130mm x 152mm. I know that Geckos are supposedly 140mm x 170mm, is that long enough? Might be a good excuse to get some Geckos, I've been eyeballin em for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:19 pm 

idtmcp542 wrote:

Length: 182cm
Nose Width: 321mm
Waist Width: 267mm
Tail Width: 305mm
SCR: 10.3-12.3m progressive

Congrats. This will be a fun, floaty and versatile ride. Can't wait to see pics once it's done. To clarify your SCR, does the radius increase (regressive) or decrease (progressive) from shovel to tail? I ask because Donek is making many boards with regressive SCR. I'm riding a custom Donek split with 10.5 - 12 m regressive SCR and find it to be remarkably versatile. http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11094&start=0 I run Voile split skins on that deck and they work fine, though I am tired of dealing with the glue.

I'm curious--did you deviate from Donek's Hazelwood specs much? At first glance, it looks like you kept the same taper but customized length and width. What were your desired ride characteristics for this board? How did you want it to perform in the kind of terrain you typically ride? And how did that translate into your design?

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:31 pm 

Sorry, the SCR is in fact regressive. Always getting those confused.

I know I read that post somewhere, however I couldn't find it when I was looking for it, thanks for the link.

I did not deviate from Donek's specs much. I really did not feel that I should change the board too drastically, especially considering I definitely don't have the dinero to try again. Also, the specs, with my customized width, seemed pretty dang perfect for what I want to use it for.

Reading your the thread for your board, it sounds like we were pretty much looking for the same thing. I cant really afford multiple splits at the moment, so I need one to do it all. I need a board that can float waist deep powder, maneuver easily in tight trees, handle well in technical terrain, and hopefully be able to handle some of the crappy conditions that summitting and riding Mt. Baker, Shuksan, Hood, etc., in late spring or summer would entail. Typically, I'll be touring for powder of all types, from mellow pow to trees, pillows, and chutes, to steeper, more technical faces (nothing to crazy yet, but plan on going to Alaska next spring so you never know).

Recently, I picked up a 193 Lib Tech Doughboy and a 180 Lib Grocer. Both of these boards were longer than anything I had ever ridden previously, however, they have quickly become the most ridden boards in my quiver. Not sure if I've ridden anything else except my split since I got them. Anyways, after absolutely shredding a tight treed run faster than any of my skier and snowboarder friends today a couple times in a row on the 193, I've become convinced that longboards are fit for my riding style. Both the Doughboy and Grocer have progressive sidecuts, with 11m in the nose increasing to 9m in the tail (am I saying that right?) and this sidecut helps, but after reading a lot about sidecuts, and getting input from the interweb as well as real people think, and riding lots of tight trees today, I think regressive will be the way to go.

I wanted the boards to be somewhat more maneuverable than my 180, and nearly as stiff (its a little stiffer than I'd like it, where as the Doughboy is a little softer than I'd like), but not too squirrely at speed or on big landings, so I decided to keep the taper moderate. The stock 16mm taper seemed like it would add a decent amount of powder performance without causing any other problems. The nose/tail on my Doughboy are 318mm, so I used this as sort of a basis for how wide I'd want my nose (I think I said ~32cm). The tail width came based off of those two measurements.

Good to hear that the Voile skins will work, I'll keep those on there for now.

How did you determine a stiffness for your board? I am just a bit worried with how stiff my board will be, never having ridden much less hand-flexed any Donek board, I'm not sure how stiff he will make it. Were you happy with the flex pattern that you got on your board? Is it exactly what you asked for/were looking for?

How has your board held up durability wise over the season? Not too worried, just thought I'd ask since I have the chance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 am 

idtmcp542 wrote:

Recently, I picked up a 193 Lib Tech Doughboy and a 180 Lib Grocer. Both of these boards were longer than anything I had ever ridden previously, however, they have quickly become the most ridden boards in my quiver... After absolutely shredding a tight treed run faster than any of my skier and snowboarder friends today a couple times in a row on the 193, I've become convinced that longboards are fit for my riding style.

I had the exact same revelation with long-boards in the late 1990s. I'll never go back. My (12-year-old) 195 Big Gun is my only resort board; I ride it everywhere--tight trees and all--far faster and with far more stability and fun than I would on a shorter board. I agree this relates to riding style; works for some, not others.

How did you determine a stiffness for your board? I am just a bit worried with how stiff my board will be, never having ridden much less hand-flexed any Donek board, I'm not sure how stiff he will make it. Were you happy with the flex pattern that you got on your board?

I was pretty clear about what I wanted in terms of board geometry, but I relied heavily on Sean's intuition when it came to flex pattern. (I think fitting a thickness profile to a board's geometry and rider is where designer intuition is most important.) The profile resulted from a discussion of my height, weight, turning style, terrain preference, riding history and my desired feel of the board. I also told him that, if in doubt, err on the side of stiff. He nailed it.

Is it exactly what you asked for/were looking for?

It's the most natural-feeling and intuitive board I've ever ridden. The design translates into the ride I was seeking.

How has your board held up durability wise over the season? Not too worried, just thought I'd ask since I have the chance.

It's held up great. Donek's construction is flawless and stout. Based on personal experience with different manufacturers' boards, I'd say their construction is more bomber than Prior but not quite as bomber as Venture or Never Summer. The question of course is how bomber is bomber enough; thus far, it's been plenty bomber. The real test will be three, four, and five years out--and I'm not there yet.

I enjoy geeking out on board design, so thanks for sharing some of your good thinking. I look forward to seeing your new deck come to life!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:30 pm 

Taylor: a bit off topic but thanks for the link @ the bottom of your post of Baby Arm Sound System. Just found it last week and can't quit playing it, smooth mellow dub!!!! Thanks!!!

Post subject: Donek Hazelwood
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:48 pm 

So I just received my Hazelwood split...and what can I say? The board looks beautiful. Amazing looking build quality, pictures won't do it justice. To me, looks on par with Venture and NeverSummer quality wise. Tightest connection I have ever felt in a split. So tight, in fact, that I'm actually a little worried about undoing the Karakoram clips in cold weather; they require so much force it might hurt my frozen hands. But, that only speaks to how tight the connection is. Sean told me the camber profile of the Hazelwood was camber with de-cambered tip and tail, however, it looks like plain camber :bananas:

Here are the specs again, with a few added that I didn't include last time:

Length - 182cm
Effective Edge - 144cm
SCR - 10.3 (nose) - 12.3 (tail)
Waist Width - 267mm
Nose Width - 321mm
Tail Width - 305mm
Taper - 16mm
Setback - 5cm

I too, like Taylor, pretty much relied on Sean to determine the flex pattern on the board. The stiffness seems pretty perfect, however, I have not ridden it yet, so we will see. But I have high expectations.

A few things to note:
1. My board does not have inserts for heel risers. I guess you have to ask for them, since a lot of Donek's clientele are Hardbooters, who don't need them. I am currently trying to figure out a way to solve this problem so I can have my board on snow as soon as possible. Will let you know how this turns out.

2. Some of the specs, as well as the model, are printed in a box on the topsheet. This box overlays the graphics slightly, and is bigger than it needs to be (almost an inch of the box is empty). I think this box should be given to you as an option to have put on, as I don't really want it on my topsheet, but it's not the end of the world. Until I add a photo, you probably really won't be able to picture what I'm talking about, but I will add some pictures once I find my camera charger. :banghead:

3. There seems to be a slight cosmetic blemish on the topsheet, a streak about 3/4 inch long. It will be under my touring brackets, so it will pretty much never be visible, however, even if it was in plain sight all the time its barely noticeable and I wouldn't care. Just thought I'd mention it as it seems to be the only thing wrong with the board in terms of construction (besides the heel riser inserts).

4. I wish this option had been made more clear to me in the buying process, either on the website or when I was talking with Sean. Donek offers the same Carbonium topsheet that NeverSummer offers, it's just not referred to as Carbonium. I only just found out about it today, while watching a video from a while ago on some of the boards (while getting stoked for mine to come), but Sean says that is available on all boards, but only standard construction on the Rev (one of their raceboards). But yes, it is the exact same as NeverSummer's as Sean said he and NeverSummer sometimes purchase the material for it together. I got to try a NeverSummer with this topsheet, and I loved it. If I could have it on all my boards I would in a second. It is extra grippy, way more durable, and I have been told it sheds snow better than a standard topsheet, but I have no firsthand experience of that (the day I demoed was an icy day). Plus it looks way sweeter. :rock: I don't know if it costs extra, but here's the video where Sean talks about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39mQkW6V-E (It's the same video that Snowman1's carbon Nomad is showcased in)

Overall, I am stoked on my board, and even though it could have possibly been a little bit better, I will know exactly what I want out of my next Donek splitboard.

Anyone out there who is considering buying a splitboard, or a solid (but more importantly, a splitboard)...you need to look at Donek. They have twin shapes, all-mountain shapes, and big-mountain freeride shapes, all of which can be customized in length width, scr, flex, taper, graphics, and all of which can be split for an additional $200. I'm not 100% sure, but since a few of their models cost $550 for a solid, and I believe it's only $200 to split it (that was the additional fee on mine), you could have a customized factory split board for ~$800 (clips + shipping). And again, the build quality is amazing, on par with Venture/NeverSummer, exactly what you would expect from a Colorado microbrew company.

Pictures to come.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:20 pm 

Quote:
1. My board does not have inserts for heel risers. I guess you have to ask for them, since a lot of Donek's clientele are Hardbooters, who don't need them. I am currently trying to figure out a way to solve this problem so I can have my board on snow as soon as possible. Will let you know how this turns out.

This is incorrect. Apparently Sean just forgot to open up the back inserts, but they are there. I will be sending the board back to him to have him open them up, as I don't feel comfortable enough with power tools to chance voiding the warranty and and possibly messing up my new $1000 splitboard. Anyways, hopefully it'll be on snow by the end of next week.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:44 pm 

Oh yes, that's going to be a sweet ride. I like it by the numbers. Congrats. Can't wait to see pics and hear your on-snow impressions.