Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never Summer Summit Split 11/12
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 am 

This must be one of the least discussed splitboards of the current crop...
So, any after season opinions?

I bought mine in February, first high end snowboard, after 8 years on an old school Nidecker Luna, which was like a bulldozer - heavy, stiff, brutal, low camber :D

I have about 20 days on it ranging from concrete-strong icy runs to a feet of powder and totally love it! It just floats in the powder, with it's giant, compared to the tail, nose. Camber-Rocker-Camber is pure fun to ride, coming from a camber board. When flexing it, while standing, it feels kind of soft, especially compared to my ultra hard Nidecker, which worried me in the beginning, but it turns out that this it's not a problem at all, it feels as if it stiffened a lot while riding at high speed.
The damping and rubber-carbon magic is amazing, I spent a week in mid-March in the southern Alps, on only icy runs (stupid weather...) and I was immediately impressed by how stable the board was. I could make real bombings down the ski run, without worries that the vibrations will throw me away. The wide nose was a problem there, as the asymetry makes the board tricky to steer on the ice, but then, this board has never been meant for such conditions.
The Vario Grip holds strong. I haven't ridden Magnetraction, so can't compare, but after several educational falls, getting used to the edge hold I could carve so much better than before.
I had so much fun on the pistes, actually, that for the next year I will probably be getting a solid NS deck for carving (Raptor). And I have hardly ever been riding on marked terrain in the last 4 or 5 years!

For splitting it's OK. CRC doesn't seem to be a problem when skinning, actually you press with your foot just over the rocker part. I could skin up as steep as anybody. And considering the overall width of the half-board, compared to the most of the skis used for skinning, the ski guys started calling my skins "the carpets" :D And this allowed me to traverse at way steeper angles.

A thing to complain is the big gap between the two halfs when in snowboard mode. It looks like the distance bteween the two parts of the chinese hooks is a milimeter or two longer than needed. I will be changing them with karakoram clips anyway, but considering that NS are supposed to be one of the most precisely build boards... Otherwise it's bombproof.

Post subject: Re: Never Summer Summit Split 11/12
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:45 pm 

I have the SL Split but would love to have a Summit for big powder days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:42 pm 

This is my goto Heli board, 172cm

Just spliting one for myself then I'll have split and a solid (for Heli)

They are the std Camber board.

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14 pm 

Nice. Thanks for posting this. I have been super curious about their factory splits. I ride a Titan inbounds and would love to have that thing as a split... how does the Summit compare?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:58 am 

The Summit split is a deep pow slayer. God damn it's a fun board. It does also happen to work just fine in firm snow too, though the set back, depending on your stance can be a little less than ideal. I have one of the first Heritage/SL splits and the Cambered Summit split. I want to add the RC Summit split to my quiver, hopefully this upcoming season. I also believe this might be the last season they produce the Summit Split. So if you are a fan, you might want to pick one up.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:36 pm 

I loved my SL Split up until when I found out I cracked the nose today, now I am heartbroken. This is my 4th NS board but the first one I have ever damaged, and I've been riding NS boards since the late 90s. I've always boasted about them having a 3 year warranty but have never having to actually use it. I'm really hoping it's covered and if so I will continue my strong faith in them. I've written to them in email and am eagerly awaiting their reply.

The crack is only on one side of the split and appears to be from the nose being put under pressure against the split hook edge as the crack lines up perfectly with it. This type of crack wouldn't be possible on solid board and I hope they take that into consideration.

I'll post once I hear back from NS.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:36 am 

Heazy, that sucks about your board.... I remember seeing your NS spitty at Hood, and your ride looked mint.... Let us know what happens with the warranty And do you have any pics of the damage? A crack at the chinese hooks?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:01 am 

It came with chinese hooks but I actually had replaced them with the Karakoram clips to match my bindings. Both style hooks overlap at the same point, though the chinese hooks actually hang over a lot more than than the tab on the K clips.

Even though the hooks have been removed in the picture, you can see the outline of them and how the crack started right at the edge where it overlaps the board. I ride goofy so this is on the heel side half of my split. The other side of the split has no damage what so ever.

The crack in the top sheet is very apparent. There is a slight bend in the metal edge on the bottom, but it is not damaged and did not pull away from the board. If I put any weight in either direction on the nose you can almost immediately hear it cracking further.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:09 am 

Quote:
The crack in the top sheet is very apparent. There is a slight bend in the metal edge on the bottom, but it is not damaged and did not pull away from the board. If I put any weight in either direction on the nose you can almost immediately here it cracking further.

Sounds like you snapped your core. My buddy did that same typa thing to his TRice HP Solid, and Lib sent him a brand new one, even though he bought it used off Craigslist. But when you flexed it, you could hear the wood core breaking even further. Hopefully you have the same luck with NeverSummer.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:25 am 

I am pretty sure the core is damaged. I've always heard good things about people who have had to warranty their board with NS, so I hope that is the case for me.

I bought the board brand new the beginning of March, so it's barely 2 months old and only has about 10 to 12 rides.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 pm 

I already heard from Vince with NS today and the board is on its way to the Denver factory so their engineer can take a look at it to determine if it's due to a defect in craftmanship/material or rider error. Board should arrive there by Thursday so I'm hoping to hear something Friday or early next week.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:58 am 

Keep us posted heazy. I may switch mine back to chinese hooks if they dont warranty it. This should also be shared with the Karakoram brothers. Do you know exactly when it happened?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:34 am 

Speaking of build, I have been wondering, is the Carbonium topsheet actually carbon fiber sheet, or is it some other material mixed with the carbon or what?