Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What board to buy Burton, Jones, Voile
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:07 pm 

So I'm just leading into the NZ winter and going to get a split sent over from the US cause there are good deals ATM.

The question is what to get?

My options are:
Burton Freebird
Jones Mountain Twin
Jones Solution
Voile Mojo

Now I was just going to get the Freebird cause I found the deck for $360 but it has come to my attention that they aren't that good and maybe I should pay the extra for a Jones board.

Has anyone ridden jones and button and have an informed option. The comments on the Freebird were that the side cut isn't right and it rides sloppy.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: What board to buy Burton, Jones, Voile
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:06 pm 

How much can you get the jones solution for and cost of shipping? There is a store in fernie with 40%off $879CAN + tax . This would be my choice of boards listed. HAvnt been on one just going on what people have said.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 am 

Hmm: looks like you are shopping boards based on price rather than quality and performance?
While saving money is nice, it may not be worth it in the long run, especially if you purchase a board with known durability issues (Jones) from North America, and are then required to return the board to NA for any warranty consideration. Usually you will have warranty claim problems if you circumvent the distributorship in your own country...
I would suggest considering the boards which are known to be high quality: Venture, Never Summer, Chimera, and probably Trapper (from Canada) as well. With a higher quality board you will spend more time riding, and less time shipping the board around the world for warranty considerations.
Yes, Splitboards are expensive, but for the most part you get what you pay for, and saving a couple of hundred dollars does you no good when you are stuck with a broken board and no easy way to get it replaced.
Hopefully, with their change in manufacturing for next season Jones will get their durability/quality problems figured out-but it is going to take another full season to find out if this really happens.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:36 am 

Thanks for your input.
Us outdoor is selling the Mountain twin for $525 and Dogfunk Solutions for $559 which is good. Freebirds gone back up to $420 or something.
These are all just boards, I imagine the one in Canada had skins and interface too.

Im trying to get a balance with price and quality. Not going to buy something cause it's cheapest. I had only heard good things about Jones boards till now, so will look into that a bit further.

I've always ridden Burton and happy with that but if the Freebirds not right then on to the next.... But is this true or just from Burton haters?

Going to the other companies mentioned is a big step in price so just want to know if it's worth it from people have tried a few different rides.

Appreciate the feedback

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:27 am 

Nicksplitnz
What about a board from Rich at splitn2?
Im sure he will help out a local.
Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:58 am 

Concerning your questions on the Burton split, type freebird into the search on the splitboard page, if you haven't already. There's 9 pages of posts. I've never ridden one, but from what I've heard it's a pretty good bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:54 pm 

Haven't checked out the Freebird but I have the Jones Solution. Really great board shape and design but like Barrows mentioned the build quality is pretty disappointing for the price. You should definitely get in touch with Richard Harcourt. His boards are super solid and have a good build quality. Made for NZ conditions and the price for them is very competitive too.
Check them out in this months NZ Snowboarder mag and buyers guide and also on his website.

http://splitn2.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:49 am 

barrows wrote:
Hmm: looks like you are shopping boards based on price rather than quality and performance?
While saving money is nice, it may not be worth it in the long run, especially if you purchase a board with known durability issues (Jones) from North America, and are then required to return the board to NA for any warranty consideration. Usually you will have warranty claim problems if you circumvent the distributorship in your own country...
I would suggest considering the boards which are known to be high quality: Venture, Never Summer, Chimera, and probably Trapper (from Canada) as well. With a higher quality board you will spend more time riding, and less time shipping the board around the world for warranty considerations.
Yes, Splitboards are expensive, but for the most part you get what you pay for, and saving a couple of hundred dollars does you no good when you are stuck with a broken board and no easy way to get it replaced.
Hopefully, with their change in manufacturing for next season Jones will get their durability/quality problems figured out-but it is going to take another full season to find out if this really happens.

Uhh, dude just shut up... I think that my buton freebird is of the uptmost quality...Have you ever ridden it or do you hate it because it isnt a split-specific company....Why?

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:39 pm 

wasatchfreeride84093 wrote:
Uhh, dude just shut up...

^Nice :thumbsdown:

Try not to take someone's opinion too personally.

Burton make good boards but of late they've been manufactured in China in their thousands rather than the likes of smaller companies who still produce their boards by hand out of Canada or North America in smaller numbers and deliver a more quality product.

That's my opinion too, not to knock you or Burton or hurt anyone else's feelings by stating so.

As for a split specific company? 'Don't think any of the companies Barrows mentioned other than Chimera are purely split specific......

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:36 pm 

wasatchfreeride84093 wrote:
barrows wrote:

Uhh, dude just shut up... I think that my buton freebird is of the uptmost quality...Have you ever ridden it or do you hate it because it isnt a split-specific company....Why?

WOW! I would suggest that your response is a bit of an overreaction? I did not say that I "hate" any of the boards in question. The OP was leaning towards Jones, and I pointed out that Jones has had very well known quality and durability problems. As for the companies I mentioned, only one of them is split specific (Chimera), but all are well known for producing the highest quality boards available today. After more than 25 years of snowboarding, I have come to the conclusion that large scale mass produced boards are just not made with the same attention to detail and quality as boards produced by many of the the smaller scale companies. In fact, the same could be said for just about any product out there... Personally, I would rather purchase less stuff, of higher quality with my money.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:23 am 

Quote:
Burton make good boards but of late they've been manufactured in China in their thousands

I thought they were made in Austria? No?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:27 pm 

802smuggler wrote:
Quote:
Burton make good boards but of late they've been manufactured in China in their thousands

I thought they were made in Austria? No?

Yeah, my bad.
Mid to entry level boards are made in China and everything else in produced in Austria :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:02 am 

don't know if you've settled on your board yet, but something to consider would be certain board companies aren't allowed to be shipped internationally by their website retailers. So that practically takes Burton off every website you can find it on. I was looking into it for a while (also in NZ) and saw Rome and Jones on some websites' no-international sales lists as well (but strangely not all of them).

Have you seen this deal on the Voile Mojo?
http://www.rei.com/product/824551/voile ... d-20112012

that's $716 american dollares for EVERYTHING except split specific bindings, but it does come with the slider plates. Break that down and the skins are $120 on sale right now at backcountry.com , and the universal mounting kit runs another $160, you get yourself a board for $436. and shipping came out as $115 when I went through checkout, so US$830 for everything.

If I could afford a board and shipping costs to be sent over, I'd probably choose a twin for NZ, but I can't so I'm gonna split an old one and use that until I get to go home to the USA and buy a board that better suits the snow I left behind.