Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Never Wet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:33 pm 

agreed however the WD in WD40 does stand for water displacement.....that was this old timers point at least. i've never tried it.

this is taken from a couple of wd40 uses sites as well...may be applicable:

11. Prevent snow buildup on windows

Does the weather forecast predict a big winter snowstorm? You can’t stop the snow from falling, but you can prevent it from building up on your house’s windows. Just spray WD-40 over the outside of your windows before the snow starts and the snow won’t stick.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-amazing ... z2kT9GUpfd
40. Protect horses hooves

Winter horseback riding can be fun if you are warmly dressed but it can be downright painful to your horse if ice forms on the horseshoes. To keep ice from forming on horseshoes during cold winter rides, spray the bottom of the horse’s hooves with WD-40 before you set out.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-amazing ... z2kT9rNo8V
49. Keep shovel or chute snow free

Here is a simple tip to make shoveling snow quicker and less strenuous by keeping the snow from sticking to your shovel and weighing it down. Spray a thin layer of WD-40 on the shovel blade, and the snow will slide right off. If you have a snow thrower, spray WD-40 on the inside of the chute so snow won’t stick and clog the chute.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-amazing ... z2kTA3fj1N

Just a thought that if it keeps other surfaces that are similar to snowboard topsheets cleean of snow and ice it may work...may have to try it this season

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:11 pm 

I can strongly advise everyone NOT to use NeverWet on ANY of their gear. Here's my story. My buddy and I were SO excited about NeverWet. We'd seen the promo videos and immediately had the idea of using it on our topsheet, bindings, pole baskets etc. We waited and waited and finally heard it was available at Home Depot, and for only $20! This was going to be the topsheet miracle we always hoped for, and if it didn't work oh well it's just topsheet, right? So after giving the boards a good tune-up last week, and in anticipation of our first real snow of the season, we laid out three splitboards and their bindings and hosed them down following the instructions on the box. The product comes in two cans, Step 1 and Step 2. We sprayed in our garage like we've done with countless rattle can projects before, but right away this was different. From the very first spray it was hard to be there, hard to breathe, hard to see, hard to think about anything other than the cancer this was giving us. The fumes and smell were so overwhelming. They tasted (yeah, tasted) toxic and we had to abandon the house very quickly and for an hour after Step 1 was applied. Oh well, it's all in the name of a snow-free topsheet, right? So we waited more than the 30 minute recommended dry time for Step 1, and then we applied Step 2. I noticed a "frosted" look to what was once my very shiny topsheet but I thought we should let this dry overnight before making any judgments. The next morning I wandered down to the garage to move the boards from their drying position and I noticed that everything felt sticky and sandy. I thought, "This is supposed to repel water?" I was super skeptical so I splashed some water on one of the boards but I was in a rush and couldn't really tell if it was working or not. I packed the boards and decided to let the weekend's snowfall be the ultimate judge of performance. So it snowed 20"+ at Stevens Pass this weekend and I was there with two of these NeverWetted splitboards. Immediately upon setting the boards down, the topsheets were covered with ice and snow build up. In fact, I never saw the topsheet of either board again until we brought them down the hill and thawed them out. Trying to wipe the snow off the boards was impossible due to the sandy/gummy/crappy finish. I resorted to using the hand grips of my poles to scrape off snow a few times, and I could tell it was scraping off more NeverWet than snow and ice! My other friend who didn't have NeverWet on his splitboard was laughing his a$$ off at me all weekend as he casually shook snow build up from his board. My board felt heavy and dull from the extra weight of snow and I was super frustrated that I couldn't even wipe or shake it off. Some of the NeverWet had gotten into the pin slider holes for my new Sparks bindings and made the pin (the brand new pin) a pain to deal with. The entire weekend I could be heard saying "I hate you NeverWet!" I think I even screamed it one time I was so frustrated. I won't let it ruin what was an epic first snowfall, but it was an unwelcome complication and a major downgrade in topsheet and binding performance. Now I've got to figure out how to scrape this junk off my boards and bindings, and I plan to return the unused portion to Home Depot along with a piece of my mind.

I know, I know. I should have tested this on something other than my snowboards first. I was busy and took what I'd seen in the promo videos for granted. My screw-up is your warning! Don't even think about putting NeverWet on ANY of your gear or you will be sorry!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:47 pm 

Wow, thanks for the timely TR! I'm gonna send my unused cans back to home depot myself. I guess I'll go back to hot waxing my topsheets. Seems to work the best.