Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lightweight Magnetraction
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:07 am 

Is there a lightweight split with Magnetraction?
If I do throw down for a new board it would be for summer touring on the Washington volcanoes. So the mag for the ice & the light weight to haul up to 14000' with my evil-fit ski buddy.
My ski buddy's skis weigh 2lb's each, and he makes my setup (Mojo 166 + sparks) feel uber-fat

I know Prior makes a carbon board at 6lbs, but Prior is not interested in Mag right now.
I would probably go short - 158ish for more maneuverability & less grams.

Any thoughts gladly received.

Jake

Post subject: Re: Lightweight Magnetraction
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:57 pm 

What do you consider light weight? Is a Lib Tech too heavy, because most manufacturers don't even give weights for their boards.

Next years carbon Jones might be a little bit lighter, but i'm not impressed so far by the weight they save.

IMO You're better off getting a pair of ThirtyTwo Ultralight boots, that will probably save you more weight at a lower price premium.

Furberg 167 Split with Afterburners
Furberg 162 Split with Magnetos
Prior 165 Backcountry XTC Split
Libtech Dark Series DIY Split with DIY binders

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:25 pm 

6lbs for the board would be good.
This is Prior's stated weight with XTC carbon, but this is not a full carbon board.

I like the thinking on the 32 Ultralights though. Great idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 pm 

the never summer sl sounds to be pretty light...and from my understanding has something similar to the mag...
might be worth checking it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:39 pm 

This from NeverSummer:

"We are making core blocks specifically for our splitboards, placing hardwood in the wider split insert spacing that enables us to blend higher percentage of lighter woods. Giving our splits a nice balance of weight to durability. The Sl Split 158 cm. with hooks and clips weighs in at 7.4lbs and the 161cm w/hardware at 7.55 lbs.

All our splits feature our blended radius Vario Powergrip sidecut. Like magne-traction provides additional contact points. One of the differences in our sidecut is there is a straight section in the middle of the board that when flexed provides a broad contact point in this crucial area but when un-flexed will track straight when flat basing. Reducing drag and that "grabby feel" associated with the really drastic sidecuts. Flanking this straight section is a shallow radius on each end, providing the 2nd and 3rd contact points. The final 4th and 5th contact points are deeper radius at the ends of the sidecut for quick turn initiation and edge hold in the cambered areas. I have been riding the SL Split alot on resorts this season and feel that performance is very close to that of a solid.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:45 pm 

Further e-mails: (these guys are excellent, not only are the decks indestructible, but excellent people work @ NS)

"The board (the NS Sl split) is so stable and edge hold is amazing on the high peakswind sheared snow.

I hear you about reducing as much weight of your backcountry gear as possible. I still have clicker crampons and I know I could knock a couple pounds off my pack by getting some new ultra light Grivel's.

It's a fine line with a board on stabilty/strength to weight ratio. The composite solid boards I have ridden tend to feel hollow and stiff, while they are very agile a super light board isn't the most stable for mowing through chop or in the crust.
We use more rubber in our boards for damping so that adds weight. Also, with a sandwich construction ( which is way more durable than cap construction) much of the weight comes from the epoxy on each layer. In my mind you just can't substitute the flex and feel of wood. We are already tapering the wood cores down to .285" and reinforcing the core with a dual top and bottom carbon matrix. X's on the bottom of the core in the mounting/camber area for a powerful underfoot flex and V's on the top for
energy transfer, torsional rigidity. It is impossible to replace part of a vertically laminated wood core with carbon fiber and our cores are already milled to the thousandth of an inch. So, no we will not be replacing any of the wood with carbon. We will be running the same carbon configuration and core profile for 2012/13"

I received a bunch of great photos showing the core & the radius & outline, but I can't work out how to post photos here.
Good stuff NeverSummer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:59 am 

There is some mis-information and misunderstanding in this thread.

1. The Prior XTC construction is full carbon: all laminates around the core are carbon fiber and their is no glass fiber. This construction will save at least 1 pound per board.

2. The never Summer SL is not what I would consider a lightweight board despite it's name.

3. The Never Summer SL is not a board I would choose for spring volcano riding, as it has a very deep sidecut which makes for less edge hold on steep firm surfaces, and it does not have magnetraction.

4. Personally, I would not choose magnetraction as way to get better edge grip on firm surfaces. The best way to get good edge grip is to choose a board with a shallow (long radius) sidecut, which will help to distribute the edge pressure under foot, and then keep the edges sharp under foot.

5. Beware of really lightweight boards for riding in mixed conditions. Many lightweight boards are light because they use lightweight woods in their cores, and light cores generally result in a board which is not well damped. For riding in mixed conditions one needs a board with good damping, to keep vibrations (which can cause chatter at the edge) down.
Carbon construction is a good way to save weight, as when it is done well, it will reduce weight and actually improve damping as well-if you can afford it.

Check out the custom board Buell had made for riding spring volcanoes-he had Prior make him a relatively short board, with a very shallow sidecut, go back a couple of pages in the boards forum to see his thoughts on this, and his custom board. A board like this, with Prior's carbon construction (if you can afford it) would be an excellent choice.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 am 

The SL split actually has much less sidecut than the SL solid. Although the SL "super light" name is a little outdated now, it mainly means that it's lighter than other NS boards. With all that said, IMHO, it's one of the best made all round splits on the market and I would have no quandaries taking it down a frozen ass volcano.

The Jones Carbon Solution is also a great option. Pair that with some karakoram binders and you'll have a pretty light setup that will kill it for your intended use.

Just remember, at the end of the day, it's the indian, not the arrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:35 am 

Got it:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10134

That's all great information, thanks Barrows.
I have had excellent experiences riding magnatraction on sun-baked-icy-concretehardpack-steep-trees in-bounds in Whistler, it eliminated the risk of the edge washing out completely. But the shallow radius makes great sense.
Appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:29 am 

shredgnar wrote:
The SL split actually has much less sidecut than the SL solid. Although the SL "super light" name is a little outdated now, it mainly means that it's lighter than other NS boards. With all that said, IMHO, it's one of the best made all round splits on the market and I would have no quandaries taking it down a frozen ass volcano.

The Jones Carbon Solution is also a great option. Pair that with some karakoram binders and you'll have a pretty light setup that will kill it for your intended use.

Just remember, at the end of the day, it's the indian, not the arrow.

Shred... with all due respect, the NS SL split has a very deep sidecut, about the deepeset you can find on any board of this length. The spec is for 7.93 m. radius on the largest size (163x). For comparison, Buell's purpose built custom Prior uses an 11 m. radius, and I would consider anything under a 10 m. radius to be a "deep" sidecut board (yes, including my Venture Storm at ~9.3 m.)
My next all around board is going to have a 10.6 m. radius, and I really wish it was bigger.
Very deep sidecuts are great for intermediate riders, carving on groomers at low speeds, but really do not help experienced riders ride well in backcountry snow conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:50 am 

We get it Barrows, you like harboots, long radius sidecuts, and longboards. It's definitely a recurring theme. Do you ever get sick of preaching this gospel? Not everyone rides like a skier.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:05 am 

shredgnar wrote:
We get it Barrows, you like harboots, long radius sidecuts, and longboards. It's definitely a recurring theme. Do you ever get sick of preaching this gospel? Not everyone rides like a skier.

Sorry man, you really do not get it. I ride nothing like a skier (except those skiers, who now ride like snowboarders). I do not recall ever riding with you? But I would be happy to get out together sometime :D
It is OK if you like deep sidecuts, there is nothing wrong with that, I was just pointing out that the SL does have a deep sidecut, this is just a fact.
Additionally, to the original topic, a deep sidecut is going to offer less edge control on spring volcano corn and frozen snow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 am 

shredgnar wrote:

Shredgnar, look up argumentum ad hominem.

A 7.93 m sidecut falls on the short end of the sidecut radius spectrum. That's a plain fact.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split