Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is there a board that is notoriously stiff?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:06 pm 

I doubt that losing the front 1/3 of skin contact really makes that much of a difference. Unless the board is severely reverse camber, I cannot imagine how you're losing contact with the snow. You are a big guy though and I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. On a split, most of your grip comes from the section under your feet and it reduces as it gets further away. Reverse camber accentuates this. Maybe you should try something with regular camber if you think you need more contact though.

From what I've heard, the Ventures are going to be on the stiffer side. I would consider my Jones Solution to be a pretty stiff board for a split as well, I also ride the flagship and love it but I'm about 30 lbs lighter than you. I have size 13 feet and they fit great on the 68W.

Just another suggestion for the touring aspect of your problem. Have you tried the dual height climbing bars that voile makes? They can definitely increase your grip on the steeper slopes.

Good luck filmore!
Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:30 am 

I second what shredgnar said, the fact that the tip of your skins are off the snow doesn't make you lose traction. With the (rare) exception of trying to stick to a delicate surface hoar on the skin track, you get better traction by focusing your weight on a small part of the skin,(like getting most of your weight on the climbing bar.) Are you in a place where you are only touring for pow or are you doing hard snow also on your split? I'd go for a Donek if you need 28cm and you ride variable conditions and not just nice soft snow all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 am 

Has anyone mentioned Winterstick? They are pretty freaking stiff, and you could likely contact them to customize it for you...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 pm 

The Mojo RX from Voile is a stiff board.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 am 

mojo??? really??
did you guys even read the op?
6'7" 235# size 14 on a 28 wide 176 board
hell I'm 6' and 200# and ride a 173 Identity and and a 184 grocer, both of which I have no trouble maneuvering even in the tightest trees,
Go with Donek, call or email Sean as an alpine board builder who KNOWS customs for notoriously picky/demanding hard booters and racers he knows what needed for big guys that ride big boards you will be happy with the result be cause you can get exactly what you need. up to 30 wide and 200 long with a flex and sidecut matched to you size and style of riding.
checkout snowmans thread about his custom split nomad.
Sean Martin - president/founder
Donek Snowboards Inc.
smartin@donek.com
http://www.donek.com
phone:877-53-DONEK
check out the videos on his site

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:39 pm 

If you do go custom, you might consider a custom stance width also. I don't know if you've ever experimented with wide stances, but going wider than the usual 24" might be worth a try for someone as tall as you. For example, I'm 6'3", ride a straight-across back foot and upper 30s on the front, and a 27" stance feels perfect whereas 24" feels really unstable. If you do go wider, tell the builder on the front end so that board's profile is fit to that stance width. Anyhow, something to consider.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split