Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gnu Billy Goat Split Reviews?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:11 am 

Looking for some reviews on this board....
if you have one please share or if you know where i can find one send a link!
wondering if it drifts in tour mode like some people are complaining of their t.rice...
also if a 162 would handle 210lbs.....
thanks!

Post subject: Re: Gnu Billy Goat Split Reviews?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:47 am 

The board effin rips. It is fast and stable. It floats really well in powder. i wish they made it in a wide though. The 162 is a 25.2 cm waist. If your boot size is bigger than a 10, it will be too narrow in my opinion.
I had one but sold it. I had way too much toe drag on steep terrain. It would wash out and then i'd be on my belly sliding down.

i'm 6' 165lbs ,10.5 Salomon Savage Boots and i ended up going with the T.rice 161.5, 26 waist. Similiar board but the Billy Goat is directional and the MTX on the lib tech is less sublte than the billy goat.

I also made some adjustments to my bindings (karakoram). that seemed to help but i really hated the way my toe would catch, especially when there was any kind of wind/sun baked layer.

If they came out with a 162/163 wide board next year i'd be selling the T.rice board.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:52 pm 

snotroll wrote:
The board effin rips. It is fast and stable. It floats really well in powder. i wish they made it in a wide though. The 162 is a 25.2 cm waist. If your boot size is bigger than a 10, it will be too narrow in my opinion.
I had one but sold it. I had way too much toe drag on steep terrain. It would wash out and then i'd be on my belly sliding down.

i'm 6' 165lbs ,10.5 Salomon Savage Boots and i ended up going with the T.rice 161.5, 26 waist. Similiar board but the Billy Goat is directional and the MTX on the lib tech is less sublte than the billy goat.

I also made some adjustments to my bindings (karakoram). that seemed to help but i really hated the way my toe would catch, especially when there was any kind of wind/sun baked layer.

If they came out with a 162/163 wide board next year i'd be selling the T.rice board.

Awesome, thanks. i rock a salomon malamute 9.5 boot so 'think' id be ok there....
i was thinking the billy goat would be a better choice being a directional, but perhaps i'll need the t.rice 165 as i'm 6'2", 210 lbs.
whats your experience with skinning on the 2 different boards? is there a noticeable weight difference between the 2?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:51 am 

snotroll wrote:

Yes, I'll concur that the board rips!! I'm 180 and have the 162 which is fine for most terrain. Seems like they should have made this board a 25.7cm waist at a minimum... I too wish it was a 26cm so my 10.5 size feet don't have so much toe drag, but you'd be find with a size 9.5 footprint.

Snotroll, what adjustment did you make tot he K's to reduce your toe overhand? This is the exact same set up I have and the lack of a lateral adjustment (from edge to edge) of the bindings on the board seem to be the biggest drawback to the Karakoram system.

Thanks...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:58 am 

emsnow wrote:
snotroll wrote:

Yes, I'll concur that the board rips!! I'm 180 and have the 162 which is fine for most terrain. Seems like they should have made this board a 25.7cm waist at a minimum... I too wish it was a 26cm so my 10.5 size feet don't have so much toe drag, but you'd be find with a size 9.5 footprint.

Snotroll, what adjustment did you make tot he K's to reduce your toe overhand? This is the exact same set up I have and the lack of a lateral adjustment (from edge to edge) of the bindings on the board seem to be the biggest drawback to the Karakoram system.

Thanks...[/quote

awesome thanks...what about at 210 pounds? or would i be better with the 164.5 t.rice?
there is a little bit of lateral adjustment on the k's with the heel/toe plate adjustments no?