Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preflex Twin tip, jib board for Taylor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:22 pm 

Just kidding on the twin tip, I haven't shaped any Preflex boards for a long while now, but have one coming together for myself and this one for Taylor this year. I thought I'd post about it since he's mentioned it and b/c there is a healthy population of fellow board design fanatics here: (working on the images-Yay I think I figured it out)

This is by far the gnarliest board I have made, I really don't think he'll be able to buckle the nose in settled pow or spring snow/breakable crust, we'll see. I also told him he could mow down small trees with it. I shape the rocker into the core because I add only a relatively thin layer of carbon to the board. If it was glassed conventionally it would be too heavy to get the desired stiffness. If I didn't shape the core, the lightweight composite wouldn't hold the thick core in the mold to the right curve. My 185 x 26cms weigh in at 10 lbs, 10.5 with pucks, clips and touring brackets. The below pic is with the core shpaed flat and correct on the running surface and not profiled on the top side yet.

It is mostly solid poplar with two 1-1/4" Paulownia stringers with black locust faired in under the feet in the middle. I had to add one long 6 inch scarf joint for the Paulownia just because it comes pretty narrow otherwise no wood joints. I just stack 4" Paulownia boards in to one big plank and cut stringers from there making sure that there are no short joints in the nose curve.

I put more nose rise in than is always needed, but it keeps you from having to look at it or worry that it wont go up and over refrozen avy debris, brush, logs, crust etc. I really like the way they work breaking trail in the deep and allow you to stand firm on your front or back foot when riding at any speed. I see a lot of defensive leaning back to keep the nose up in videos nowadays. This core is about 1mm or a bit more too thick still and still needs the last bit of profiling.

Here's a long angle from the nose, shows how much rocker there is (near constant radius), it makes the board really reactive and squirrelly at lower speeds, threading the trees and on lower angle slopes. I picked this curve from measuring how much curve a board has when it is humming along at about 25 in medium density pow and loose from having the camber pushed out from the pressure of the snow in the first part of turn before coming across the fall line.

View from the tail. After splitting, this bad boy should end up at about about 34.4 on the nose, 27.8 at the waist, 31.5cm at the tail. Taylor is 220 with a size 12 foot, with a low stance angle on the back foot so we based that width to 29cm right on the back foot. (I haven't done the final templating on the nose outline curve or balanced the sidewall angle, so the nose looks a little unbalanced in this pic below, it should be 186 long after that)

I'm real curious to get some feedback on these boards as I'm really the only one that his been riding them since the late 90s. If I get some demo boards out this season I'll post here.

Post subject: Re: Preflex Twin tip, jib board for Taylor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:29 pm 

wow, awesome woodworking. I'd love to see more of this project as it progresses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 pm 

Beautiful work!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:13 am 

Thanks guys, I'm wondering what the relationship is between boards that are almost finished and getting a deep and stable snowpack early in the season

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:14 pm 

Yeah this is really beautiful wood working and board shaping. The numbers and shape look ideal (for me). Needless to say, I am stoked. The pre-flexed "Preflex" design concept is novel and uniquely suited to soft snow. So is this construction. Both are fodder for lots of shredding and board design geekery. I am eager to feel how it rides. Let it snow!

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:45 pm 

warning preflex boards make you ride like this-

You'll have better style and about 80 less turns than anyone else on the mountain.

Awesome work Scooby!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:22 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
warning preflex boards make you ride like this-

You'll have... about 80 less turns than anyone else on the mountain.

That is such a nice shot Wasatch Surf ^ and such a nice, big turn. I already suffer from the 80-fewer-turns syndrome, so this is an ideal rider-shaper match.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:43 am 

leaves are falling, second cold front here in the Wasatch, moving along . . .

CPC (Cardboard-Pencil-Controlled) cutting technology:

Dozuki saw time! Love these saws, they cut less than .5mm wide. Love this part of the process also.

skis?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:37 pm 

Thanks for sharing. Looking good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:09 pm 

This shape is turning out really, really nice. I told Scooby over email that he needs to patent this shovel curve :bow: ; it's perfect--love it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:59 pm 

Taylor wrote:

DANG! I can't wait to see you ride this! I hope you have it by mid-January!