Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Divide splitboards
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:22 am 

Hey guys. Lurk here once in awhile. Figured I post somthing fitting.

Anywho. I've been building splitboards here in Prince Rupert B.C. For a couple years now. We use different variations of Sitka Spruce , Yellow Cedar, Red Cedar, and Paper Birch for cores. We don't glass often, mostly just Basalt and Carbon.

Anywho here's my latest
Full carbon laminates/ biax over triax
Yellow/Sitka Core
160cm
315/254/298

Here's some older stuff
Real maple leaves

Post subject: Re: Divide splitboards
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 am 

We have a facebook page if anybody wants to see what were up too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Divide-R ... 4672727751

:rock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:59 am 

Nice!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 am 

I love the shape of your skis but why aren't your boards shaped the same in the nose??? The skis looks like they all have reverse sidecut past the contact points. That's what a lot of people on here want their boards (i.e. furburg) All the boards I saw on your FB page looks like the same hooky noses on every other snowboard out there. Maybe I'm wrong? I just wanted something to get excited about. Anyone can make a snowboard. We need progressive shapes! You have some specs for us?

They all look beautifully constructed btw :thumpsup:

For example, in this photo you have really nice, progressive shapes in your skis then the snowboard looks like an after thought, carbon copy of every other board out there. I want a board with the same shape as skis 1-3:

And again:

I'm guessing you're skier

Can I special order 1 ski with a 25.4cm waist?? :lol: ....I'm actually serious

If you want to make your 1st two posts on a splitboarding site promoting your ski company you should show us you are serious about offering us something we want. Sorry I come off harsh, I'm just sick of the lack of snowboard shape progression when (particularly reverse sidecut noses). A million companies making cookie cutter shapes and maybe 4 or 5 are actually doing something in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:08 pm 

Here my new pow ride next to another cookie cutter shape as you call them.

The other boards you looked at are mostly customs for other people.
I build them what they want.

It's harder to to talk a person into a crazy shape when they don't know better. And that's the majority. Obviously here
people know better.

Skis are a little easier as the ski crowd in general are tech heads.
That said, people still fear a ski that is 149 under foot, and skinnier at the tips.

If you want a custom shape, let's do it.

And sounding harsh is fine, just don't apologize in the same post.
It shows weakness :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:09 pm 

And yes, I'm a snowboarder. 23 years

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 pm 

But seriously..............Im with ya. Why ride a park shape in the steep and deep backcountry. Ill design a new shape, and have somthing up here in the next couple days.
lets pick it apart, and see what people can help me come up with as far as ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:34 pm 

I did see that pow board and it looks sweet :)

It's pretty easy. We just need a Furburg to have sex with a Jones flagship and there's your perfect big mountain, do it all board. Carbon and < 6lb's of course ;)

Basically something with around 10-13m sidecut, straight to reverse camber past the contact points (as all your skis look like they have), 8-12mm taper (depending on what sidecut you use, rockered nose (maybe slightly on tail too), and mild camber to flat under foot with stiff nose. Width determined by how little sidecut there is. As narrow as possible but well over 25cm obviously. And magne traction!

And I think you'd actually sell a LOT more boards if you had something very progressive and outside the box.

I ride a Jones flagship/solution because it's as close to the perfect board as there is right now.

Steve Klassen and Tom Burt have designed boards similar to the Flagship. We just need a little more furberg in them in the weay of a tad more sidecut (not as much as furbergs) and reverse sidecut tip and tails

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:01 pm 

I am in almost total agreement with Brooks (imagine that :wink: ) 'Cept I'd go with 14-16 m radius on 125 CMs of edge length 167 overall and a 27 waist ('cause with the long radius sidecut the waist needs to be wider to have enough width at the feet). Would love to see more innovation from snowboard companies on shapes for the backcountry, besides furberg. I also like low rise rocker tips and tails, the Jones Solution has a really nice low rise nose on it...
Beautiful looking work though, will like your FB now...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 pm 

nice work dtrain, I've been a fan of your projects for years on skibuilders, love the new workshop you built! I'm still pretty amazed how long it has taken established mfgs to begin to move away from E-glass as the basic laminate. For what? a difference of $40 in materials. Sooo conservative.

For riders with imagination, My :twocents: is that there isn't much sense in waiting for innovation for bc shapes from more established companies that are dependent on steady sales each year. I think there is a great opportunity these days for anyone with an idea for a board to get a new mold made and their board put together from the folks out there that have the capability to do anything and don't 100% depend financially on having to sell a stack of boards that are based on resort designs and millimeters different from last years. Really paying any of these small independent builders to make a new mold and a new board on it may seem expensive, but it will cost so little money and time compared to what it takes to get your own press and techniques together.

Point is any rider can step up just a little and make the shape they want happen these days. Design it, order it, ride it amigos.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:00 pm 

I absolutely love the look of those wood skis and boards. I checked out the facebook page....what are your prices? More info on the splits?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:01 pm 

dtrain wrote:
But seriously.............. Ill design a new shape, and have somthing up here in the next couple days.
lets pick it apart, and see what people can help me come up with as far as ideas.

+1 right on.

And yah, if your aim is to build and sell boards, there is certainly at least a niche market for and room for competition in more progressive splitboard shapes. A widened version of one of your skis, as brooks suggests, would be a great start for this project. I for one would love to have a shape like that in my quiver. I suggest spending some time reading the Furberg and other threads on this forum. There's actually quite a bit of good thinking on where riders would like to see board design go.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:30 pm 

I made a reverse sidecut nose board last season to see what all the hype was about, Im still not sure.
Theres no difference in a "reverse sidecut" and a long gentle curved nose. Too much over thinking IMO.