Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Odin vs Storm
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:01 pm 

Has anyone riden both? I am looking into one for a big mountain board. I like to charge, but in the Montana backcountry more often than not the big lines are unstable. Is the odin for big lines only or will it ride mellow stuff just as well? Ive read that the storm can do both, but it sounds like the odin would be sick for the days when you want to get after it. I ride a never summer raptor as my everyday resort board, handles everything I throw at it and then some. The odin seems similar to the raptor so I am wondering if it would work as an everyday split too?

Post subject: Re: Odin vs Storm
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:38 pm 

Storm and Odin are kissing cousins. Just decide if you want more taper or less. The other spec differences are minor. If you want an everyday split you might go Storm because it will do spring corn a little better. Otherwise either board will destroy whatever. Even though the Odin is billed as big mountain, the taper and stance setback gives it better mellow glade float.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:37 am 

Any more opinions? Im ordering it tonight. Is taper the only difference? How does that affect the ride?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm 

I haven't ridden both, but I have a couple of days on a 164 Odin. It has more taper, as well as a bigger sidecut, and according to the specs is also stiffer. My impression is that it likes to go pretty fast. I've really only ridden it in pretty mellow terrain and it's been fun.

I'm guessing that for the terrain in MT it would be a good choice. For places where you're doing lots of techy steep stuff in tightish trees maybe the storm would be a better choice. (i'm in the eastern sierra, fwiw.)

ps check out my blog if you want to see pictures of the type of terrain i've had it in so far. Mostly big bowls and open forests.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:47 pm 

Straightliner, would love to know what you end up doing and your thoughts once youve ridden it, im considering the Odin 169. I ride in MT in what sounds like similar terrain as you (BS, Bridger, RLM). My split is a Jones Solution 168w which i love so much ive ridden it about 10 days at the resort, but not very confident enough in their boards construction to purchase another board from them (i have had a LOT of problems). Looking for a similar shape but better construction, and the Odin looks like it might fit the bill. As for whether it will be good in mellower terrain, ect, it looks like all your boards are rocker between your feet, camber at the ends (my libtech is the same). The opposite (camber/flat between feet, rocker at ends) is MUCH looser/surfy at slow speeds when in powder IMO, and i think that they "feel" shorter at slow speeds than they really are, but ride true to length at high speeds,,, perfect for me! Directly comparing my 161 libtech dark series vs 168 jones solution, i dont find i loose any control/maneuverability at slower speeds or in trees (i ride RLM trees plenty, and you gotta be able to handle tight trees there). I think you'll like the flat/camber a lot. Would love to know what you end up doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 pm 

mtsurfr, Just ordered the 169 Odin :drool: . I watched this video of the two and what it came down to is the Odin likes to charge anything and the Storm likes deep pow. I figured since I love to charge and we typically don't get really deep dumps here that the Odin would work best for me in this area.

As for Jones boards, they are clearly not boards for the rocky mountains. When I went to world boards last year to get a new board, I thought I would try a Jones just based on the fact that Jeremy Jones is a big mountain rider. Jay, the owner of world boards since '93, took the Jones board out of my hands and told me not to buy the board and that I should get a never summer or venture. When I asked why, he went to the back and grabbed THREE destroyed Jones boards that had barely been riden. They are so poor on quality it amazes me that Jeremy would put his name on them. The design is solid, but the materials are crap. Just my :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm 

Yeah, don't even get me started on Jones... So disappointed with the quality. However, without a doubt, my 2 favorite designs ive ever ridden. Out of this pic, only 1 is problem free (for now at least), the other 4 all have issues (delams on 3, and one with the hole patterns off). The BEST customer service ive ever dealt with, but not enough to keep my future business till they fix the quality control issues. I would actually get the Odin in the solid if i got it. When you get some time on it i would love to hear what you think of it in our terrain. Where are you doing most of your touring?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:26 pm 

Not really touring right now, its been too sketchy so Ive just been riding at big sky everyday. Its been snowing a lot here lately so I am safely getting my fix. Ive got a wife and son that I need to come home to so I am waiting for condtions to improve. I did a mini tour for an avy course at bridger last weekend and the snowpack was super sketchy. From what Ive heard Hyalite is the safest place right now. Im mounting the odin tonight and am very tempted to take it to the slackcountry this weekend. If I do, I will be sure to report my results.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:42 pm 

Jealous, i wanted to be at BS this weekend, but couldn't make it. I toured Hyalite about a month ago and the snow was pretty darn stable considering. Of course, a lots happened in a month. I realize it seems like a an oxymoron to leave Boz/BS to come to RL, but if your looking for some safer snow to tour in, head over here. Ive toured the last few weekends out here and the snowpack is super stable. pm me if you wanna go out sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:47 am 

I finally got a chance to hike some lines and test out the odin at BS. It is definitely the stiffest board I have ridden so I almost got tossed on my first run. Once I got used to it, the float was amazing. The taper on it felt a lot like my NS Summit but much easier to turn. The faster you go with it, the better it handles. Compared to my NS raptor, I did notice a lot more chatter on the nose and tail when I left the powder and hit some rough spots. For that reason I will be sticking with rocker/camber and the super damp ride of Never Summers for in bounds riding. As for backcountry riding, I do not think theres much better than the Odin. The construction makes it feel just like a solid. The float was better than anything I have ridden and the stiffness of it allows you to let loose In total control. It is exactly what I am looking for in a powder board. Hope that helps with your decision mtsurfr!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:26 am 

Thanks, I actually just ordered a Furberg 173 though. Its gonna stay a solid, at least for a while so ill have it up at BS as soon as i can!!! I just wanted to try a board that had a more progressive design, and there is nothing (currently) even close to the Furberg. The Odin really seems like it would kick ass, but as the design is very similar to my Solution (except that it is actually a quality board), i just wanted to try something different. Thanks for your thoughts man