Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: any reviews on the rome white room?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 pm 

I've ridden the 12-13 162 WR about a season. I'm about 145lbs w/o pack and gear.

I think it's a worthy ride. The nose stays up well in pow although I might like another mm or two of nose height for super deep days (for skinning as much as riding). It does fine in corn and crap conditions. It's definitely on the light end of the spectrum which I like but I imagine it isn't as damp as some folks prefer. The light weight is absolutely awesome for the way up. For me it's a little bit stiff but not so much that I can't bend it and dork around a little. In split mode it skies decently, I think the camber towards the tail is helpful when I'm leaning too far back while skiing.

I think the 62 is the right size for me although the 58 or 65 would be fine. Those weight ranges are pretty general recommendations. I don't consider it a crazy shape that might warrant a huge departure from what you normally ride.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:53 pm 

first day out on the 165 2012 whiteroom. Very impressed with the board so far. Breaking trail was no problem with the soft rockered nose. It's the biggest board I've ridden in 16 years of boarding and it felt a lot smaller than its actual size. Surprisingly nimble and still responsive pop. Definitely dig it.

Downside is the hooks.. don't work so well with karakoram bindings.

But yeah, I rode soft pow, mank, icy crap and a 3 mile cat track on it.. super smooth board love the feel. I have a Chimera coming and it's gonna be tough to put down the Rome.

Also, hit a lot of fallen trees as coverage was low. No rocks just branches and stumps. The base is primo, no issues. Overall an excellent first impression. We'll see about the durability others have noted on Rome boards but the sidewall construction and tight fit&finish have me confident.

fwiw I'm about 210lbs w gear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:21 pm 

redacted

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 pm 

hi, just trying to clarify what you are saying about the whiteroom and karakoram bindings...
do they not work well together or do you just need to switch the chinese hooks for k-clips?
still loving the board?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:15 pm 

hambone wrote:
hi, just trying to clarify what you are saying about the whiteroom and karakoram bindings...
do they not work well together or do you just need to switch the chinese hooks for k-clips?
still loving the board?

they don't work well with chinese hooks, switch to k-clips. Haven't ridden the w/r much since December, riding my other board a lot. My thoughts on the board are generally positive. It's a fun ride, good float and maneuverability that makes it feel like a 158 or 160, lightweight, definitely a backcountry style ride. Downside is quality of the materials imo, though the wear I've been unhappy with is cosmetic (topsheet).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:43 pm 

wouls love to hear some more reviews on the whiteroom if anyone has more time on one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:27 am 

Second season on the WR. 165. Season one included corn snow on St Helen's and Rainier. As expected later in the day, bottom was slushy. Initiating turns was a little touchy on icey or slushy surface. Corn was a hoot! Skinning was also worrisome but everyone was in the same shape. I bought some crampons for next time. No screwing around!
Ridden in some good powder and broken pow in Feb this year( Terrible early season in the NW) and the board is awesome in the soft snow. The top is taking some wear on the rear inside while skinning. I will try to protect it some with some tape for now. I think that would be normal for me on any board.
I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:02 pm 

Year 2 on the WR 165 has been very positive. Thin early season snowpack gave the other split a bad coreshot so I gave the whiteroom a few days. And then a few days turned into a whole season on the whiteroom because it's so damn fun to ride and stable on the track. Cosmetic wear issues from last season stopped, I guess there was just a break in to round out some of the topsheet edges. The stability of the w/r 165 compared with my 161 fish type more than makes up for the subtle difference in agility (think pine/aspen glades).

My season was split pretty evenly between alpine and meadows and the w/r excelled everywhere. Caught a groove and felt comfortable riding more aggressively than normal. Looking forward to cleaning up the season's nicks and prepping both sticks for next winter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:53 am 

I tested the whiteroom 165 last year over a 2-day trip in the Swiss Alps (St Bernard area).

UP: The board is very soft and has a fairly tight radius, which makes for poor edge hold. Led to a few wipeouts and emitted swear words on the way up. With a bit of technique, though, it does stay manageable. And the board is fairly light, which is a bonus.

DOWN: The board turns very tight due to the right radius and soft flex. Fun in trees, but difficult to manage big high speed turns. As soon as you put a bit of weight on it, it just wants to turn tight. Floats well on light powder. A lot of vibration and instability on hardpack, especially at high speed, and not so great edge hold.

If you are a powerful rider looking for big lines and high speeds, this is clearly not the board for the task. This board is really made for riders who like to slalom between trees. It is really easy to turn, which is great in tight forests. Nice pop out of the turn helping to engage in the next one, overall a fun ride in tight spaces. Still fairly forgiving thanks to the mellow edge hold which allows you to slide about a bit, and the soft flex able to accommodate varying terrain. A fun ride for low altitude trips in the forest.