Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie: need advice on V-Tail splitboard length
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:34 am 

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy my first split board and am looking to get the Voile V-Tail. As I've not experience either a split board or a v-tail board before, I'm looking for some advice on the length I need. I've been doing a lot of homework (and have searched and read some of the other forum posts on here) but am still undecided.

I'm looking at either the 160 or 170 lengths. Normally I'd be thinking that the 160 would be fine but have been reading that longer may be better because:
- you spend 10x time going uphill where length for skinning is an advantage
- and I'm intending to get out onto muti-day tours (e.g., Haute Route) and so will have a pack (presume this will be around 10kg?) so will have to support extra weight

So for the maths bit:
I'm 5'7" and around 57kg (so with pack I'd be 67kg) and mondo size 25.5 feet (size 5 uk, 38 EU, 7.5 US)
I currently ride:
- park (indoor uk) 143 Burton rocker
- all-mountain 162 Burton (one of Maëlle Ricker's ex demo boards, no idea what it's based on (poss Custom?), but it's v stiff and v agressive)
- race F2 GS Speedster 172

According to the figures from Voile
http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merc ... _Code=1354
The 160 weight range should be 41-59kg - so I'd be in this range for normal day cruising
The 170 weight range should be 54-77kg - so I'd be in this range for multi-day tours
There is only 0.2kg extra weight from the 160 to 170
There is an extra 0.3cm extra waist width from the 160 to 170
Stance width is ok on both boards.
Nose rocker is 32 on the 160, and 32.5 on the 170
Tip height is 6 on both boards

I'm thinking that the 160 would be ok, but I'm just concerned that when I'm loaded with extra pack weight, it may start to make my job a lot harder. As I'm very keen to do long multi-day tours, I'm a little concerned that the 160 may prove to be too short and too much hard work to keep afloat on the downs and trailbreak on the ups, and that I should go 170. although 170 does start to sound like its getting quite long for me. I'll also be doing most of this riding in Europe (for at least this season anyway) so the board will have to deal with all snow types and conditions (i.e., it won't just be hugh pow fields all the time).

Has anyone got any thoughts or experience they can offer me on a suitable length of V-tail and/or splitboard?

Any help much appreciated - they're quite expensive things to buy and I don't want to get the wrong one and have a nightmare and it put me off!

Many thanks!

F2 Speedster 172
Burton ex Olympic BX board 162 :)

Post subject: Re: Newbie: need advice on V-Tail splitboard length
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:42 am 

If I read correctly, you ride a 172 F2..?

In this case I'd suggest you go with the 170... On the other hand your height and weight suggests the 160 might be okay. The problem is the swallow cut will result in an approximate equivalence to a 145-ish feel and float... This means your gear may have you floundering...

I've been riding swallowtails for years (sort of a fanatic actually). I normally ride an old Voile 195 swallowtail in the backcountry and 180's on the resort. I've tested both the 180 and 190 V-Tails... and for all around use I'd go with the 180... I'm 6', 185lbs without gear...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am 

[quote="Snurfer"]If I read correctly, you ride a 172 F2..?

The 172 is my raceboard (dedicated hardboot carving setup). So it's not my normal mountain board (although the length is great in powder) - I'd say my 'normal' everyday big mountain cruising board length would be nearer a 158 or the 162 as mentioned.

Thanks for the comments - especially about the swallowtail design feeling like it comes up a lot shorter. Am now rethinking that maybe the 170 would be better.

F2 Speedster 172

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:56 am 

Just to let you know, the 170 was way too big for me. I had to get a 160.

The 160 is perfect and so much more maneuverable particularly when skinning. The board rides really nicely, so at last I can really enjoy it.

I could maybe see how, with a heavy multi-day pack and lots of powder, that the 170 may come in useful, but it is such a big board for my height and weight (even with pack) that it just was too much generally. Things like kick turning were unbelievably challenging.

I'm going to sell the 170. Nice board but just too big!

F2 Speedster 172

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:39 am 

Glad you're happy with the 160 :D

Sorry to hear the 170 didn't work out. Big boards are definitely more about the down...
I took my 195 out for the first and only time this season in three feet of pow and the up track was (as usual) unpleasant...
Particularly when I broke a climbing wire :nononno:
But the down was unlike any other board out there...
The next storm dropped another three feet and while my 163 was a cakewalk on the up, the ride down (er trench digging) was not fun...
Sort of the trade off, of riding powder rockets...

Are you selling the 170 as the deck only?

Here's a pic from 2010 of terrain I'd typically tour on the big gun