Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Travis Rice Split
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:11 am 

Hey....I was wondering if any one could give me some feed back on the Travis Rice Split boards??
I've had a T.Rice 161.5 for the last few years but never ridden a C2 model. I hear that they ride a few CMs longer they are. I'm looking to buy one of the splits but I'm not sure if I should buy the 161.5 or the 164.5....?? If that is true that they ride a fair bit longer then they are I might go with the 161.5. I usually rock a 164 in deep pow, so I'm on the fence. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Travis Rice Split
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:22 am 

I'd go 164.5 if you ride a 161 in the resorts. I don't have any experience with the T Rice boards but one typically carries significantly more weight in the backcountry than in the resort, particularly if you intend to do any overnight trips.

My split is 3cm longer and a more pow oriented shape than my resort board and I definitely wouldn't go shorter if I had it to do over again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:14 pm 

I have the 164.5 T rice split with the karakoram set up, and I absolutely love the board. I have been riding libs for a few years and this board is as good as it gets. I have ridden a lot of boards in my life, and this one is my favorite so far out of any of them. I would defenitly go for the longer board if I were you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:16 pm 

Splityheaven wrote:
have the 164.5 T rice split with the karakoram set up, and I absolutely love the board. I have been riding libs for a few years and this board is as good as it gets. I have ridden a lot of boards in my life, and this one is my favorite so far out of any of them. I would defenitly go for the longer board if I were you.

Hey Splityheaven, just wondering how big/tall you are with the 164.5 trice? I am 5'11", 190lbs and have the solid trice 157. Really like it and looking for a split. I am thinking of the 161. comments?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:07 pm 

I have a 164.5 T.Rice split and feel like it's a bit too big for me and the riding that I do with it. My solid is a Jamie Phoenix in a 160 and my previous board was a Lando Phoenix that was one of his own and so it was extra stiff. Yes my pack is heavier but the typical riding is the same whether I'm on the split or the solid and I think I would be happier on a slightly shorter board.

FWIW I'm 5'8" and 195 lbs right now (haven't been splitting enough lately...) and my home mountain is Mt Baker.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:37 pm 

The t.rice I have has a season and a half on it. It is starting to get worked! I am 170 lbs 5' 10" and i have been riding for 26 years. I have ridden the board everywhere including the park and hardpack and I still love the board. It is a very fun, playful board that can hold a good edge and do everything pretty well. I am in the process of splitting the regular camber skunk ape 167 I have because I have size 11 feet and its wider & I prefer a longer board for free riding. The only problem I have with the trice is that I think the reverse camber makes the board drift real bad when its in ski mode. I don't notice it alot but the board in ski mode, when I have to "ski" the set up with out skins (like on a jeep road getting out of a spot) does not track as straight as my buddies board with flat underfoot. I will have to try the skunk ape to really see if regular camber is better than the reverse camber. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the "drift" as much as I noticed it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:13 pm 

I also have noticed the "drift" when in ski mode. On long rolling/flat exits I get worked in ski mode no skins. I was a skier in a past life and didn't get so worked with camber splits in ski mode. On most outings this is a minor issue and the board is super fun. Also when skinning I feel sloppy in an established track but not when breaking trail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 am 

I've reported the same unstable feeling when skiing out on groomers and climbing hard packed skin tracks. That's why I've been pushing for a C1 split, something a lot like the La Nina MC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:25 pm 

I have a mullet 165 split and had the joy of taking some downhill tele turns on a groomed nordic trail, got going fast enough to tear up w/o goggles, then I started seeing a light at the end of the tunnel..........................thankfully it was just an uphill section to slow me down.

C1 wouldn't fix my stupidity, but it may have kept me from getting to the "time to change my pants" point :thumpsup:

http://www.chair2boardsports.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:25 am 

I am also deciding between the T Rice 161.5 and 164.5. This is a first splitboard purchase for me. I have ordered a 161.5 and it should be in later this week, but I am now having second thoughts on sizing after comparing the numbers between the 161.5 and the 164.5. I can still return the board I ordered for the 164.5, so nothing is set in stone yet.

For reference, I am 5'10, 200 lbs (aiming to drop to 190) and ride in the PNW. I have ridden a TRS 162 solid board, and it felt pretty stiff and floated just fine in the powder for me. If I were to buy the TRS Solid I would probably go for a 159, as I feel like the 162 is a bit less manueverable and too stiff for a resort board. I also have a Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 and love it at that length for its playfullness, and even that has unreal float in pow due to the BTX shape.

I agree that the C2BTX shape makes the 162 TRS ride like a bigger board than it really is, so I am not sure that I would want a board much bigger than that. Also, I was assuming the TRice 161.5 would be a bit stiffer than the TRS 162, but the numbers below don't seem to reflect that. TRS 162 is rated at 150+ while TRice 161.5 is 130+ and 164.5 is 140+. I really don't like big clunky boards, but I am thinking that the TRice 161.5 may be a bit small for me?

Below are the numbers for the boards:
Board | Sidecut | Nose Width | Waist Width | Tail Width | Stance | Flex Rating | Board Profile | Weight Range
Travis Rice Split 161.5 | 124.5 | 8.4 |30.4 |26 30.4| 20.25″-26″ / 0″ |7 |True Twin| C2 |130+

Travis Rice Split 164.5 |127 |8.5 |31 |26.2 |31 |20.25″-26″ / 0″ |7 |True Twin |C2 |140+

TRS 162 |122 |8.45 |29.8 |25.6 |29.8 |20.25″-26″ / 0″ |7 |True Twin |C2 |150+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:42 am 

Splityheaven wrote:
I am in the process of splitting the regular camber skunk ape 167

I'd really like to hear how a split skunk ape rides.

I rode one for a week earlier this season.
Rigged it with Burton Cartels and rode it on pow, ice and crud, put it over some drops and jumped it about a lot (loads of fun terrain in the western Alps). It handled steep couloirs and resort groomers.
I'm 6 foot and 185lbs.
It's for sure one of the most fun boards I've ever used.
Sick fast and stable, but also playful and maneuverable.

If it doesn't lose too much of it's handling after splitting then I reckon a skunk ape would be an awesome splitboard.
Hpe it works out well man.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:07 am 

If yer on the fence, just get one or the other and quit agonizing over 3cm. If you can ride one then either will do ya.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:25 am 

question for owners of t.rice splits.....
how tight are your k.clips on the board?
the clips aren't tight at all on mine, making a noticeble flex between the board halves.
i sent it to lib for warranty and they said it was within their tolerances.
on my prior the clips are tight and really snug the board up.
i think im going to send the board back.