Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To buy a Volkl Cashew Split?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:47 am 

Hi all, I have been having a bit of a look at the new Volkl Cashew Split
http://www.voelkl-snowboards.com/produc ... t-kit.html
It comes with the voile kit and custom skins, the skins clip to it so I am not sure if it means no more glue? Can anyone shed any light on that?
I almost bought one of them last year as a solid model, a good pow board but solid enough for mixed conditions.
The price point is appealing - but I would love to hear an independant review of the product.
I don't even know if these are available in the states where most of you are? I am uk based but spend plenty of time in france in the winter.
It will be my first split. So cash is a bit of an issue, no 2nd hand gear available in UK... Looked at the Panoramic (K2) but I reckon I would want the 168 as I am a bigger fella, most other packages are out of the price range although I am open to suggestion

Otherwise I could cut another board, I have a 163 Allian Peter Strom 2006 which could be a Contender for the saw.... The money saved could go on an extra week in the mountains.
I would appreciate any thoughts at all
Cheers

Post subject: Re: To buy a Volkl Cashew Split?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:59 pm 

I don't think we can get these in the US. Völkl's I've come across are pretty sweet and the shape on this one looks good so if the price is nice, I'd go for it. Silly name though ... oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:46 am 

I got one......
Just received it, looks killer, the shape reminds me of a sick stick, but it is tapered slightly. Construction quality is perfect, the hemp topsheet is actually fabric???? I thought it may be glassed into it.
It is very thin and consequently feels quite light, I haven't weighed it, I will wait until I have mounted it up with my bindings which will be a copy of what Rugty makes.
Can't wait to get out there

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:35 pm 

Congrats! Let us know how it rides.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:20 pm 

For US splitters, Bola at All Board Sports in Boulder says that he should have a couple in soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:52 am 

i would look into the k2 panoramic same deal and k2 owns volkl soo i bet they are pretty similar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 am 

Had a few resort runs & just got back from 1st little tour on the cashew - about 800m up and down on mellow terrain, breakable crust - annoying.
Its pretty nimble on the piste - and playful with the rocker - switch rides fine. in the resort powder a couple of days ago it was nice in the steeper and very deep stuff - tail sinking in nicely for a secure "stally" feeling - it pops onto the surface ok-ish but i am comparing with a 172 mullet that i normally cruise the fresh on. I reckon i need to tweak the stance a bit - front foot back a bit and more open angle. Got more fresh falling in france right now so will ride resort tommorow and split out again over the weekend when the crowds return.
Oh i think the ski mounts may be a bit too far back as I found the tails really sinking as i was skinning up, I was using a lot of energy breaking trail through the crust which had about 3in of fresh ontop of it.