Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton Freebird Thoughts and Sizing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:55 am 

Hi fellas,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I live in the UK and as you can imagine the choice of splitboards over here and in Europe in general is pretty limited. I've looked at the import route and postage + tax etc puts the price out of my reach.

So, I made a rash decision and put an order in for a Burton Freebird 162 I managed to get 20% off the list price so paid £560. Thats about 900 USD. That might not seem particularly cheap to you guys but to get an equivalent set up from Prior or Jones would set me back a grand at least.
So, my issue, having read one of the recent threads on board size I'm now paranoid that a 162 will be woefully undersized!

I weigh about 200 pounds all geared up which is sort of at the limit for the Burton recommended weight range. From the looks of what some of you guys ride on here it looks like I should be looking for something closer the 170 mark!

For reference I ride almost exclusively in the Alps. My regular stick is a NS SL 161 which was immense in the pow during an epic trip I had to Chamonix last year. Another factor is that I'll often be touring with skiers so skinning speed is a huge factor. Can you let me know your thoughts guys?

Cheers in advance for any helpful advice!

Post subject: Re: Burton Freebird Thoughts and Sizing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:06 pm 

I'm in the same boat and have just ordered the same board. I was worried about the weight thing too. I'm 6'1" and about 180lbs in me birthday suit, so must be similar weight to yourself geared up. Anyway I emailed Burton and asked about how the weight thing worked. Burton said the weight they refer to is your normal weight, unclothed. So you should be OK. I went splitting for the first time last season and rode a 162. Even after a week of snow, when it had put down over 2m in the week the 162 worked, no problem at all.

Can't wait to get my Freebird, hope you enjoy yours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:10 am 

Cheers for the reply bud!
Yeah I've decided to stick with it. I'm thinking touring in Europe we'll come across some really variable stuff and don't often have the mega dumps like these boys in the rockies with there 170+ powder tanks.
Happy splitting mate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:18 am 

Between you and me, I think the whole board length thing can end up being a bit of a pi**ing contest sometimes. I've ripped tree lines in powder on a 158 park board and I can't say it was slowing me down any. And on the other hand I had a 166 for a couple of seasons. In powder it was amazing, so easy to ride, but on anything else it was like to trying to reign in a race horse.

Enjoy Europe, where you heading?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 am 

Good call, I've done the same on smaller non POW boards. No doubt the length helps but its all about the skills!

I have a trip lined up in the Italian Dolomites, got my eye on a couple of couliours around the passo pordoi (sight seeing only usually!) cable car near Arabba/Canazei. Just trying to line up a guide.

I had those most incredible trip last year in Chamonix but ended up cursing my snow shoes... hence the addition of the Freebird!!

What about yourself?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:25 pm 

I have a Burton Freebird 162 and I'm 5'10" 185. It's a terrific board. It floats great and is very responsive! You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:17 am 

We'll be in Whistler for Feb. Hoping to do 2 or 3 days on the split and the rest in resort each week. Got some local friends with local knowledge so will be hitting them up for guiding. Can't wait. Did my first day splitting there last season and loved it. But the hire gear wasn't so good, hence the new board.

The Dolomites are fantastic. I've only been for a brief weekend trip (Madonna di Campiglio) but felt like I was in a movie scene. Possibly the most beautiful mountains I've ever seen.

Hope you have a good one.