Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestions on Splitboard/Karakorum Binding size
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:54 pm 

I am looking at getting the LibTech T.Rice Splits w/ the karakoram bindings.
I am sure this topic has been beat to death and i have searched through topics. Most answers i have found fall back to "it depends"

I am 6'-0" and weigh about 165, no gear, probably close to 185 with gear. I have been riding for 15+ years so i'm not a newb, so to speak. Just getting into the splitboard game however.
I cant decide between the 161.5 and the 164.5 Lib Tech.
My current solid sticks are a 161 NS Legacy and a 165 NS Heritage. Majority of my riding is Alaska backcountry (mostly sled access). I hit the resort 3 or 4 times a season.
I found the 165 to be a bit long for me in the steep, windblown conditions, so i fall back to the 161 most of the time. I hit the occasional jumps, but I spend most of my time just freeriding.
Just looking for some suggestions on the board size. I am leaning towards the 164.5 (for float in the powder. i think i would be less likely to bust out the splitboard for crappy conditions and just tote along the 161 instead), but i dont want to get into the same situation as the 165 NS.

The other dilemma is if i should get the Medium or Large bindings. I have a 10.5 boot. The binding size range for Medium is up to 11, and the Large is 11.5 and up. Anyone have some advice as to how these bindings fit?

Post subject: Re: Suggestions on Splitboard/Karakorum Binding size
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:27 pm 

snotroll wrote:
The other dilemma is if i should get the Medium or Large bindings. I have a 10.5 boot. The binding size range for Medium is up to 11, and the Large is 11.5 and up. Anyone have some advice as to how these bindings fit?

I had this delimma myslef after asking Bryce and Tyler the recomended the mediums which my size 11 malamutes just barley fit. The said if I had any problems I could switch out the heel cups for a large if needed which I dont think I will. I cant help with which size rice you should get I live in new england powder is most often a fariy tale. I am 5'10 250lbs and I ride a 160w mountain twin and a 163 wide solution

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:41 pm 

They recommended medium for my Salomon malamutes (11) as well. Why not stay with Neversummer? Such as the SL or Summit?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:52 pm 

fitit wrote:
They recommended medium for my Salomon malamutes (11) as well. Why not stay with Neversummer? Such as the SL or Summit?

I have been tossing this idea around so much the past week its painful. Mostly going for the Lib Tech because they are available in town and I wouldn't have to order it online and get it shipped to AK, and the magna traction is somewhat attractive, especially after talking to a few friends that ride a Lib Tech board. (none on splits though)

I have been looking at the NS boards, just trying to keep it local as much as i can.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:04 pm 

backcountry.com has both boards in stock, with 2nd day air shipping free, maybe there is a little surcharge for alaska. You can try chatting with a rep and asking? Local is definitely good too, do they have the Karakoram bindings local? Maybe evo or tactics have them both in stock online?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:18 pm 

Buy local if you can!

With that out of the way I'll put in my :twocents: .

I'm riding a 164.5 T.Rice split with medium Karakorams and am very happy with this setup. I'm 195 lbs with a size 11 foot in Burton Ions. I'd like to try the 161 to see if I notice much of a difference. I really don't see myself hitting jumps on my split but I could go for the occasional 360 off a windlip or decent size drop if I come across one. There's just too much weight in the split hardware for me to want to hit jumps with it.

Since you are going to be riding mostly the same snow by different ascent methods I wouldn't follow the common advice of sizing up, ride the size that you are comfortable with.

I think I'm at the limit of boot length that can fit into the medium bindings but it's not tight and I wouldn't want to go any larger with the bindings.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:30 pm 

fitit wrote:
backcountry.com has both boards in stock, with 2nd day air shipping free, maybe there is a little surcharge for alaska. You can try chatting with a rep and asking? Local is definitely good too, do they have the Karakoram bindings local? Maybe evo or tactics have them both in stock online?

Talking to the local shred shop they are saying no Karakorams available in store this year, they are hoping for next year though, so i need to get those off of evo or tactics.
He was saying that they are such a new company they dont quite have the production support to supply all shops. but he said their stuff is top notch.
thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:21 pm 

I'm 5'9", 200 lbs, I usually ride 164cm solid Burton Triumph, which is very stuff, and I decided to go shorter with 161cm Never Summer Split SL. I had a 162cm Burton S split, but it was way too soft for me. I think that the NS SL was a good pick, and I'll know for sure when I get to ride it. Sometimes I think the Burton Triumph is too stiff for in the trees, so I think the SL will be a good all around board, whereas the NS summit split is probably more like my triumph. I did used to ride a Salomon 450-159 and it was great at turning in the trees, but lacked edge grip on icy days. again, I think the NS Split SL was a great choice for me!

For the Karakoram's you may have to order online, and many online retailers still have them in stock. If you can wait maybe you can get on the wait list for the Karakoram split SLs. Sounds like you should scope out all your local options, research a little more and see where you'd like to go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 pm 

Quote:
BOARD SIZE 161.5cm 164.5cm
CONTACT LENGTH (cm) 124.5 127
SIDE CUT 8.4 8.5
NOSE WIDTH (cm) 30.4 31
WAIST WIDTH (cm) 26 26.2
TAIL WIDTH (cm) 30.4 31
STANCE Min-Max / Set back 20.25"-26" / 0" 20.25"-26" / 0"
FLEX (1-10) 7 7
WEIGHT: your weight (lbs) 130+ 140+

3cm doesnt make all that much difference...I'd say go with the 161, just to save a little on weight and more all around, the c2 rocker loves pow!

I have size 11 (6'0 190lb) (burton hail) and the mediums are perfect on my 158 gnu btx split

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:32 pm 

[quote="stein]3cm doesnt make all that much difference...I'd say go with the 161, just to save a little on weight and more all around, the c2 rocker loves pow!

I have size 11 (6'0 190lb) (burton hail) and the mediums are perfect on my 158 gnu btx split[/quote]

The shop in town also has a Gnu BTX split 162. I forgot to throw that in the mix. I was leaning towards the Lib because the waist width was a bit wider (by .7 cm). But if you are rockin a size 11 boot on the 158, then i should be plenty good with a 10.5 boot on the 162 (waist width is 25.3)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 pm 

ya the billy goat is directional twin / set back (more pow specific), t-rice is a true centered twin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:29 pm 

snotroll wrote:
I am looking at getting the LibTech T.Rice Splits w/ the karakoram bindings.
I am sure this topic has been beat to death and i have searched through topics. Most answers i have found fall back to "it depends"

I am 6'-0" and weigh about 165, no gear, probably close to 185 with gear. I have been riding for 15+ years so i'm not a newb, so to speak. Just getting into the splitboard game however.
I cant decide between the 161.5 and the 164.5 Lib Tech.
My current solid sticks are a 161 NS Legacy and a 165 NS Heritage. Majority of my riding is Alaska backcountry (mostly sled access). I hit the resort 3 or 4 times a season.
I found the 165 to be a bit long for me in the steep, windblown conditions, so i fall back to the 161 most of the time. I hit the occasional jumps, but I spend most of my time just freeriding.
Just looking for some suggestions on the board size. I am leaning towards the 164.5 (for float in the powder. i think i would be less likely to bust out the splitboard for crappy conditions and just tote along the 161 instead), but i dont want to get into the same situation as the 165 NS.

I'm just getiing into the splitboard game as well. I have Jones Solution 161 and sometime next week i should receive Karakoram medium bindings ... I live in Anchorage... pm me if you want to try my gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:10 pm 

I'm 6'0" (maybe 5'10 1/2"), weighing in at 190 pounds naked. The T.Rice 161.5 floats me in the pow nicely (geared up). I think you'll be fine either way. FWIW, I think I read somewhere that the god himself (T. Rice) rides the 161 in AK.