Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does size really matter?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:13 pm 

I will be making a DIY splitty, and I'm not sure what size I want. I'm 6', 180lbs, I ride a 155 NS SL for my regular board. I rented a 165 splitty last winter, it worked well, but I think it might have been a little big, it was a Prior, regular camber. I'm going to make my splitty with a reverse camber board. I think my 155 may be a little short for me, I should probably be on a 158 for resort riding. I'm thinking a 161 reverse camber board would be ideal to make my splitty.

Any suggestions?

Anybody my size have any input?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Does size really matter?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:09 pm 

You weigh 180, go with at least a 165. If you plan on riding deep pow, go bigger. Despite some popular opinions to the contrary, surface area means flotation, and flotation means fun. The more surface area your board has in relation to your weight, the lower speed is required to get it planing, and once you are planing turning in pow is effortless.
If you cannot turn a 170 quickly, learn how to ride.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:23 pm 

I would recommend a comfortable length, and similar to what you already like. I had a 173 Winterstick ST once and hated it. It was an unwieldy beast and I lost a bunch of money on it. I have since figured that I like 162cm-164cm (+/-) board, and I don't really mess with length now.

I think you should just get out and splitboard, you don't know what you will like or need until you have done it. I have a friend who is still try to find the "Perfect" split. He has missed 2 season already (and last year was epic!). There is no perfect snowboard (or split).

Your mileage may vary, just my :twocents: and all that...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:42 pm 

did you ever feel like you didn't have enough float with the 155? i would definitely size up a little for the split, but it doesn't half to be by too much. if you're used to riding a shorter board in all conditions then i think a 161 would be right up your alley. only you know what you are truly comfortable riding, so take all opinions here with a grain of salt, especially those that say to size up by a significant amount. i'm 6' 150 lbs. and ride a 158 with no rocker and have never had any floatation issues with that board or with the 156 non-rockered board i ride inbounds. chalk it up to riding style, everyone's is different. those who ride narrow, completely set back stances will probably need a different sized board than someone like me who runs a really wide, centered stance. i'm not much of a park rider at all, but i've found that i am far better at riding powder when i'm more centered over the board.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:16 pm 

Think about it this way: The average rider weighs about 160lbs and rides a 160 cm deck. To get equivalent surface area and float (lb/cm), you, weighing 180lbs, would need 180cm of deck. Given that you're a relatively tall 180 lbs, you could handle a bit more length because your height gives you added leverage over the deck. Board length = float and speed stability. Board length is your friend; be wary of too much side-cut and rocker tails.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 pm 

I dislike big boards. I ride camberd 160 split, 157 solid. And similar weight size to you. Ideal would be 158-160 with reverse camber for me i think. We dont get deep pow all season in NZ though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:32 pm 

chrisNZ wrote:
I dislike big boards. I ride camberd 160 split, 157 solid. And similar weight size to you. Ideal would be 158-160 with reverse camber for me i think. We dont get deep pow all season in NZ though.

To be clear, my post presumes you'll be splitting and predominantly (though not exclusively) riding pow, which is the reason I split. An expedition board tailored to steeps and harder snow conditions found in highly-exposed alpine terrain, for example, would involve shorter lengths, less sidecut and less taper. The same could be said for a resort board depending on your preference. But if you're splitting for freshies, you owe it to yourself to at the very least try going big.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:12 am 

General rule of thumb is to size your board up 6cm from what you ride at the resort.

Rocker definitely makes a difference. What type of rocker is purely up to you. I am not so sure why you would want to avoid a rocker tail. I've ridden plenty of splits with rockered nose/tail and they are great. I would just avoid a board with true rocker running the whole length of the board. Great in pow, not so versatile on big lines with variable conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:24 am 

Thanks everybody for your insight. I think I will try and go a little bigger, because I will be searching for deep pow.

I found a used 10/11 Unity Dominion 165 Wide. It has rockered nose, and camber inbetween the feet. I've never ridden a wide board, is a little wider better for splits?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:56 am 

I'm about 5'8, my first season splitting I was about 180lbs and I rode a Voile 161 trad camber. It got the job done, but the shape and feel wasn't that fun. Now I've got a 158 Venture Helix with rocker. I dig it. My resort boards are 156 (Banana), Burton Custom 158, and a 160 Salmon Sick Stick. I disagree that you need to go huge. With respect to Taylor, his shortest board is a 173, he might be a bit biased. Assuming by the name you are a Colorado shred. So yea, a bit longer is going to help in the deep snow, but don't feel like you have to go with a massive plank. Of the guys I ride with, I think a 165 is about the longest board anyone has. My 158 is probably the shortest though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:15 am 

Wide is just for big feet! Size 12+ foot. It will be slow from edge to edge.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:27 am 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Wide is just for big feet! Size 12+ foot. It will be slow from edge to edge.
But you will lose a little width on the cut. If you are very skilled, you can actually make the board narrower, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Contributing to the original thread, I weigh 150, and I've had multiple size boards. I ride a 159 rockered Zephyr now, and its great in about 90% of the terrain I have, and I wouldn't go smaller in the backcountry. The only time I would want bigger is super deep days, and completely charging down a big mountain line.

I would personally say get in the 162-165 range, rockered, and you will be set, but it depends on how you plan to ride. Sure a smaller board will work, but submarining your nose when its deep only slows you down. And fast is fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:27 am 

I would also say a wide board is for a size 11 and up foot. 11 being right on the edge on if you'd want a wide board or not. Comes down to preference. I choose to go wide on my last deck because I am a size 11 and the boards width would have been a tad narrow to my likings otherwise. Have not regretted it one bit. If you have a foot size big enough to drive a wide board, you will not find it slow edge to edge. If you are under a size 11 I agree that it is not going to be the way to go.