Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Board to Choose?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:52 pm 

I'm 6'1, 180lbs and am having a tough time deciding between the following split boards. When I ride BC, 90% of the time its in deep powder in the Sierras. My all mountain board is a customX 164 which I also ride in the BC. The below is my preferred order, but I'm having a tough time deciding between the Jones boards, mainly due to the length. The Burton would be backup in case I couldn't get one of the Jones.

Jones Solution 164
Jones Hovercraft split 156 (too short for me?)
Burton Freebird 162

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Which Board to Choose?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:23 pm 

I'm 185lbs and I have a Burton freebird 162. It was basically the only split i could find in town but, I'm really happy with it! It floats great on dry powder found in the Canadian Rockies. The length probably depends more on what kind of trips you plan on taking than how you ride. If you're taking long trips with a heavy pack, you'll want something longer.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Which Board to Choose?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:34 am 

I weigh 210 lbs before gearing up--and I think I can provide a bit of insight on the Solution 164. I owned the 2010/2011 model and spent a fair number of days chasing deep powder in the Tahoe BC (including a hut trip) with that board. Even though I didn't like the stance width/setback options on that years model, and subsequently sold it, I was pretty impressed with the board. It climbed well, handled mixed conditions well, and floated beautifully in the deep and steep. I think the "blunt" nose on the Solution works really well in powder. Now that the stance options on the 2011/2012 Soultions have been changed, I would have no problem buying another one. I think you would be happy with the flotation of the Solution 164.

I ended up replacing the board with a 165 cm Venture Storm-R---mostly because I wanted to trying something different and I wanted to support a USA company with a "green" business approach. I don't have any time on the Venture so I can't compare the two. That said, I am intriqued by the Jones Hoovercraft split--I really like pintail/tapered shapes in powder---but I am going to wait and see if Jones produces a 160 cm split Hoovercraft in 2012/2013. I am also really intriqued by the Chimera 160 cm Unicorn Chaser--that is looking like a very sweet powder board.