Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To split or not to split?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:20 pm 

Hey everyone,

So last season I had to sell off my board to pay off some bills - and at the time I figured I would be buying a splitboard for next season anyways. So now that the season is getting closer (on the east coast) I am not sure what to do.. I can only afford to buy one board! Last season I did 50/50 lift riding and bc (using snowshoes). So I am here looking advice - should I get a spit? Or stay with a solid board?

Thanks!
Tyler

Post subject: Re: To split or not to split?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:06 pm 

If you enjoy/value just being out in the hills regardless if the turns suck, I'd say definitely splitboard.
If you just like to snowboard I'd say stick to the resort.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:04 pm 

So I wont lose much on resort days ridding a split? I love being out in the mountains and have been hiking/climbing for years - but more recently been bring my board with me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 pm 

i have never had a bad day riding splitboard......... I have had many shitty days riding inbounds

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:03 am 

Tparnes wrote:
Hey everyone,

So last season I had to sell off my board to pay off some bills - and at the time I figured I would be buying a splitboard for next season anyways. So now that the season is getting closer (on the east coast) I am not sure what to do.. I can only afford to buy one board! Last season I did 50/50 lift riding and bc (using snowshoes). So I am here looking advice - should I get a spit? Or stay with a solid board?

Thanks!
Tyler

If you can only afford one board then I'd say go with a regular board and enjoy your season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:45 pm 

Tparnes wrote:
So I wont lose much on resort days ridding a split? I love being out in the mountains and have been hiking/climbing for years - but more recently been bring my board with me.

I think if your just carving around, going fast, turns, little booters, then the split will be fine, especially if you get split-specific bindings, instead of being high off the board with the plates.

If your a park/pipe rider, then I think you should go solid. Also, if your approaches are short, a split may not be needed for the BC. In theory, you may be able to split your own, and buy a new solid, for around the price of a brand new split.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:39 am 

THAT'S the question?

Solid boards used are everywhere. Bide your time and buy one when you have a couple extra bucks during the season.

Use your money to buy a split. They're not ideal for spinning the lifts, but you CAN use them for that. How are you gonna use a solid to get 5 miles deep into the backcountry? (Answer....it requires slowshoes, they suck, and those are probably going to cost you the same as an old used solid board).