Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on boards for a big foot hardbooter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:10 pm 

So I have been riding the pnw all winter on a 156 hovercraft split with sparks and size 28 deeluxe spark boots. I bought the deeluxes in anticipation of the spring season and firm snow mandating crampons rock scrambling etc.. I bought the hovercraft because it has an advertised waist width of 25.4 ( or something close to that) and I wanted a wide board to accomodate the bulky deeluxe boots. I still wound up with considerable heel overhang, but didn't really pay attention to that because I was riding pow for most of the winter, and the hovercraft rode like a dream. come corn season though, I realized that neither boots nor board were suited for it. I crushed the toebox of the deeluxes kicking steps on baker, and scared myself shitless trying to ride a 45 deg couly in firm corn. the heel overhang totally compromised my heelside edging and I toesideslipped the whole line. I invested in some dynafit one boots and voile mtn plate bindings in hope that the lower profile boot and lack of binding would help eliminate heel overhang, and give me much greater confidence on the uphill as well. I haven't ridden the setup yet, but I can see I still have plenty of overhang.
[imghttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-UKPCB1ajYtw/U8m0XEhr7tI/AAAAAAAAAIs/JCBqD6HjH5k/w737-h553-no/IMG_0006.JPG][/img]

After hearing advice from others, I am looking for a different board - the hovercraft just isn't going to be the volcano corn slayer I hoped it would be. I am pretty stoked on Venture boards, and hear nothing but praise for them, especially with regard to durability which is key in the pnw. (the jones board is pretty beat after just one season.) Any advice about Ventures?

I am hoping that a 26 waist board will be wide enough for my bigger feet, because there are no 27s left in the deal bin. I am mainly looking at the 166x26 storm or 173x26 odin, both 11/12 models. I am a little intimidated by a 173 - I have mostly rode 159 boards before, but am a pretty aggressive rider, and like the idea of a bigger board for powering through rough snow, (the obvious tradeoff being weight.) I would appreciate any feedback and advice about venture boards or other wider boards that might suit my needs.

Thanks! :thatrocks:

Post subject: Re: Advice on boards for a big foot hardbooter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:05 am 

I ride a Chimera Mace 172W (264mm waist) with TLT5, Voilee bindings, angles 25+30° and it works perfect also in spring conditions and in steep couloirs (50°).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 am 

Sheesh. Thats some serious overhang.
There are guys making sweet custom boards, you could have one made to suit your hoofs rather than being forced to put up something youre not happy with.
What country are you in?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:58 am 

Call Donek.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 am 

I wear mondo size 28 boots too, TLT5s on a Odin. Highly recommend it for volcano riding in the spring and summer PNW. No overhang issues to speak of. You can get Ventures in various waist sizes...

Also, my :twocents: -- it's worth it to wait and spend the extra coin to have exactly the board you want, rather than continuing to scare yourself when trying to ride the terrain you want...

Also, you should check out next year's Ventures, they are significantly lighter than previous years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:46 am 

28s are not all that big.
1. Get aboard with at least a 26 cm waist, I ride 26 cm all the time with my 28 TLT5/6.
2. ditch the Voile Mountain Plates, see the huge amount the toe lever sticks out, just about any other plate binding set up will have a shorter profile, of Phantoms are the best choice... Also, getting lower to the board will result in better riding performance and much better edge feel, crucial if riding steep technical terrain.
3. A Venture Storm with a 26 waist will be fine for you, but if steep corn is paramount, the new 14/15 Odin, with its longer sidecut radius will be even better, consider the 165 or 169 length. Longer sidecut radius allows the board to bring more edge pressure under foot, where it is easily controlled and will allow for better grip and edge control on steep corn. See my Odin review in this forum.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 am 

Thanks for the advice - The Odin definitely seems like a sweet board. barrows, I hear you on the voile bindings. They feel cheaply built, very heavy, and the whole system allows for a lot of slop and flex between boot and board. Im sure it will work, but I definitely want to upgrade at some point to either phantoms or spark dynos. On the board front, the voile revelator is very attractive in the weight and price departments. the 165 is only 6lbs lloz, and has a 26.3cm waist. my biggest concern with the board though is the channel puck system. Does anyone know if phantoms can be mounted to this? or custom fixed stance pucks? I would love to get some solid canted pucks and cut them to overlap slightly. Is any of this possible with the channel system?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:20 pm 

X2 call Donek!
This season I custom ordered a 173 with a 28.9 waist! Size 30 shel. I run 3 and 13 deg with out much drag.