Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:42 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
I thought the 67 would be more versatile based on what I've read and heard from friends. For reference I am 170# 6'2". I'm going in blind though so we shall see! Probably wont be riding it for awhile though, at least not around here.

Ok, thanks. I thought we were close in size. I'm 6'0" and 175 lbs early season but will be down near 160 by spring. I originally loved the 167 much more than the 173. Just second guessing my choice of Christmas present to myself. Rode my solid today inbounds at WC. fun, fun board.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:43 pm 

Our run of splits came in the day before the tourists landed. Now that it has quieted down some, I have had a chance to check them out a little more. The 67 and 73 look good, alignment is spot on, and the halves fit together snugly. The 62 was a little off until I figured out the K clip was pushing against the nut when clamped. This caused the halves to be out of line by a few mms. It was an easy fix, just tightened the nut until it did not interfere with the k clip. Now the halves align almost perfectly. Next week will bring some on snow testing.

For those interested, here's the weights of each size:
162 3520 grams 7.75lbs
167 3844 grams 8.47lbs
173 3910 grams 8.61lbs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:20 am 

Been riding the 167 for a few tours now, it's pretty much as expected. Lots of fun, skins really well. Went to the southern Alps last weekend, and it has some serious float but rides like a much smaller board.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:47 pm 

How long does it generally take furberg to ship within EU? Thinking of ordering the 167, read too many good reviews and looks amazing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:09 am 

Go for it, I think it takes about two weeks. But it may depend on you country so check with them first.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:01 pm 

Due to a lack of snow out here in Tahoe, the 2013/2014 solid Furberg 167 I bought last October hasn't seen any action this season until today. I decided to give the mountain bike a break take the Furberg out to see how it handled the groomers out at Kirkwood. My initial impression is far from a complete review---and I am far from a snowboard authority---but I wanted to throw my initial impression out there in case anyone has concerns about the Furberg's performance on hard pack. I am about 185 lbs without gear, wear a size 9 soft boot, have a @ 22"-wide stance, and run +24 F, +9 R angles.

I was expecting some kind of learning curve as I got used to the large radius sidecut on the Furberg. My other current solid boards are a Venture Storm 166/25 and a Jones Hoovercraft 160---and I really enjoy both of those boards. It turns out there was no learning curve for the Furberg---it felt quite natural from the first turn. I was able to turn with ease. As mentioned by others, it felt like you could work the board into any kind of turn (short radius, long radius, slarve, etc) that you wanted. Until I bought the Venture Storms (I have both a solid and splitboard Storm) a few years ago, I almost exclusively rode pintail boards (e.g. Burton Fish, Prior Khyber, Chimera Unicorn Chaser splitboard) for the past 10 years , so I am used to making lots of tight turns rather than high speed GS turns--and it is a riding style that I enjoy. The Furberg felt great making tight turns---and feels like a smaller board than the 167 cm length would indicate. As also mentioned by others, the rear does feel "looser" and less "catchy".

I let the board go a few times to get a flavor for it its high speed performance. Since I rarely head hit mach speeds on resort groomers, you will have to take my impression with a grain of salt. At least to me, the Furberg felt stable at speed----and I quickly became confident with its high speed handling. The board feels reasonable stiff----maybe not as stiff as the Venture Storm---but the stiffness felt right for this board. The edge hold also felt right.

I realize that groomers may not be the natural place to find a Furberg-----but it doesn't seem to have any problem negotiating hard pack while chasing powder stashes. I am hoping to ride the Furberg in Tahoe powder in the near future---but I have a trip to Revelstoke in late February lined up as my Plan B. So far, the Furberg seems like a real winner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:56 am 

Hey guys just ridden my Freeride 167 for a few days in the French Alps. Well what a board - totally different to what I was expecting. I thought I was getting a pow smashing tanker that didn't want to turn but fast turns were fine even on firmer snow. Float was off course great thanks to the length, taper and big nose rocker.

Nothing particularity new in the above from what others have said but I thought another positive opinion was worth sharing!

I'm not riding again this season unfortunately so I'm going to sell on this solid to make way for a 173 split next season. If anyone is interested in the 167 drop me a PM.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:35 pm 

Hi.
I'm having a hard time getting comfortable on the split 73. On prepped snow it feels unstable and soft. When I lay it flat it sort of starts drifting. And with lots of pow between tight trees the turning is really hard. Especially the toe turn is a struggle. I'm a beginner/intermediat who have just learnt carving.

Any tips on how I can tame this board?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:11 pm 

runard wrote:
Hi.
I'm having a hard time getting comfortable on the split 73. On prepped snow it feels unstable and soft. When I lay it flat it sort of starts drifting. And with lots of pow between tight trees the turning is really hard. Especially the toe turn is a struggle. I'm a beginner/intermediat who have just learnt carving.

Practice. The only way to get good at turning is practice. Good instruction helps too, as does riding with and watching riders who turn well. But in the end it's practice.

Long radius sidecut boards are especially nice for slarving--non-carved or railed turns. You say you just learned carving--I assume that means railing (the entire edge passing through one point in the snow)... You might try practicing your slarves if you're trying to carve it.

If I were you I'd also spend some time in soft snow in off piste open terrain--terrain for which the board was designed and that affords you the space to feel out the board and your turns without having to worry about hitting trees.

All splits ride drifty on a flat base on groomed snow--or so is my experience. That's not a problem endemic to the Furburg.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:17 pm 

Like I heard from the lift today, "Just point it and go BONZAI!"

Taylor, There really needs to be a high 170's and a mid 180's added to the furberg lineup. I was totally under-gunned today...190 would have been good, shit was deep.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:26 pm 

permnation wrote:
Like I heard from the lift today, "Just point it and go BONZAI!"

Taylor, There really needs to be a high 170's and a mid 180's added to the furberg lineup. I was totally under-gunned today...190 would have been good, shit was deep.

Yup. Getting under-gunned sucks. Wolf Creek Pass proves long boards. So jealous. Next time I'm up that way I'll look you up.

Of course, you are preaching to the choir. I've been asking for a Furberg big gun since the beginning of this thread. Low to mid 80s would be perfect. It's the reason Furberg hasn't sold at least one solid and one splitboard to me. It's the reason I've been nagging Firstlight. This design category is particularly well suited to longer lengths.

Furberg: Bring us a big gun.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:11 pm 

Taylor wrote:
runard wrote:
Hi.

Practice. The only way to get good at turning is practice. Good instruction helps too, as does riding with and watching riders who turn well. But in the end it's practice.

Long radius sidecut boards are especially nice for slarving--non-carved or railed turns. You say you just learned carving--I assume that means railing (the entire edge passing through one point in the snow)... You might try practicing your slarves if you're trying to carve it.

Thanks!
Got the turns down on my stiff board, so I have a starting point. Anything in particular that I should practice or do different on the split vs the stiff board? Also: what is a slarve?

How important is it to line the two halves perfectly? When I slide my bindings on they are no longer flush with each other.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:20 pm 

I think European conditions don't really warrent a longer Furberg. Also people are lighter here :wink:

I have the 167, and didn't order a second right away as I wasn't sure if I wanted the largest size too. I ended up getting the 162 as it's long enough for me exept on the really deep days (like last weekend). The 162 has way more float than any rockered freeride shape of that size I've ever been on.

I borowed the 162 to a friend for day, he just texted me that he misses the Furberg already.

@runard : If you can't ride this board on groomers, you need a little more time. My 167 turns on a dime in the trees, and i'm a small guy. I weigh 71kg. Try setting up your bindings a little different, how did you set them now?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next