Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 pm 

Figured id ask any complaints at all with the board? And no issue at high speed? Straight lining? And on steeps?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:51 am 

LPow, I do not think so, at least not for off piste conditions. On sizing, the furbergs ride small, I am 6'1" and 170 or so, and I have no problems in tight trees on my 173 DIY split, in fact, as long as the snow is good, I prefer the furberg.
The furbergs are different from other boards, so asking if they have any limitations is a hard question to answer. The plus side of the furberg is that it allows the rider to determine turn shape and type: quick pivot, check, smear a big slash, check, slarve a large radius high speed turn, check, arc short radius pow turns, check, arc big radius, check, change turn radius while in the turn by smearing or slarving at any time, check. The boards are plenty stable, but if you are looking for a high speed charger, definitely go for the 167, you will not be sorry, and in pow, you will be ecstatic.
It takes a few days of riding the furberg to really understand its capabilities, but once you do, you will be happy with all the new found freedom you have, as the furberg allows the rider to dictate the turn type however they would like, rather than the board.
Now, if you are looking for a board to mach around on groomers at a resort, get a Kessler, but for off piste snow, the furberg is super fun.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:45 pm 

Wow thank you very much for all the details greatly appreciated made my decision a whole lot easier I'm definitely looking more for backcountry but thanks for the info on Kessler always keeping a eye out for new stuff so great to hear about another snowboard company that focuses on speed and stability even if it is more for hard pack and groomers.

Thank you again

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:14 am 

Hey Barrows - can you share why you got the NS after the Furberg?

I am asking because I have been thinking about a new board and the Furberg is very interesting. Currently ride a NS 1st gen Heritage / SL split (#0013 lol) and I love it overall, but the sidecut radius combined with the softness was not ideal for some gnar. Not for riding, mind you - but for steep sidehill skinning, which was exacerbated by my soft boots...

I would like to continue to support NS, but the Furberg seems to offer something that NS doesn't have currently. You are probably the only one who can compare, and you have so much experience :) Btw the new board will most likely be used with soft boots, even though I have a pair of AT boots and am curious about trying them (seems too much risk to do toe pieces and phantoms or similar as I don't expect to like them for riding...)

Thanks!
Ivo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:29 am 

lernr:

Sure, I am always looking to try different boards which interest me, and I am slowly honing in on the perfect "quiver of one" splitboard, not that such a thing really exists at all! First, do not get me wrong, I LOVE my furberg.
The NS Prospector interested me for a few reasons: first, because NS quality is second to none. Second, becasue they are a local Colorado company, and I try to support local businesses as much as possible. Third because this board has a unique design which combines a rocker profile quite similar to furberg, with significant taper, and a size which suits me. Fourth, beacuse I already have the furberg.

I like trying different boards, and no one board is the "best" for every situation or riding style. I considered picking up a 167 furberg factory split, but I hesitated, mostly because I try not to buy Asian made snowboards whenever possible. If Daniel started making his boards himself, in Norway, I probably would get a furberg factory split. But, like I said, I already have the furberg and enjoy riding it.

Barrows

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 pm 

Got it - thanks for the intel!
Ivo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:40 pm 

I got interested in this brand as I live in Sweden and finally the Norwegian krona has become par to the swedish. Problem here is that it is varied terrain, wind packed to pow then back. It seems mostly like a straight pow board but the article said it is not, any feedback would be great as I am buying my first factory split. http://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=582411755160187&id=130741830327184&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.furbergsnowboards.com%2Fwww%2F&_rdr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:26 am 

Offpiste this board handles everything. Very easy to turn and control. I ended up getting a solid, but think it's a much better for a split board. My only complaint is that it's not very good for carving up the groomers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:13 am 

Does anyone know where the 2013/2014 Furberg's are being manufactured? Has anyone handled a 2013/2014? Any thoughts on quality and finish?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:38 am 

JimmyC wrote:
Does anyone know where the 2013/2014 Furberg's are being manufactured? Has anyone handled a 2013/2014? Any thoughts on quality and finish?

My 167 split came a few weeks ago, with a made in china sticker on it.

Feels and looks very solid and well built.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:59 pm 

Thanks Norwegian Dan!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm 

Oh well

Haven't bought a board made in China for a while. Really wanted to support a US, CA, or EU-made product but the Furberg design is so interesting... My NS's base is pristine after a couple of seasons but I want a different design.

I ordered a Furberg. Let's hope it holds up! And / or if it doesn't - that Daniel stands behind it.

(It has been very disconcerting to read about some of the issues with JJ's boards and the poor customer service. Jeremy sounds like a great guy, but I would be very hesitant to buy one of the boards)

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:27 pm 

My 167 solid arrived a few days ago. It felt a bit odd buying a board with a "Made in China" sticker on it since I generally make a point of buying boards made in the US or Canada. In this case, the allure of such an interesting design outweighed my typical purchasing preferences.

As Norwegian Dan noted, the board looks to be solid and well built.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next