Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 pm 

Bjørgvin wrote:
Need some input on sizing. Height vs weight. I am 179cm tall and close to 100kg with gear. Footy player legs :D

If I were to follow the Furberg size guide, I should take the 173cm board. But I have always bought boards according to the "between chin and nose" rule.
Has anyone ridden a board that close to their own height? Maybe I get a wow factor when it gets to float in powder :bananas:

The trees will not move to make room to be nice. just because there is coming a 198cm guy who needs a longer board..
So the lenght discussion is just based on my height and weight.

Thanx for your input.

It depends on what you are doing with it. How deep is your powder, how tight are your trees, what length boards do you like to ride? Everyone seems to have their own preference about what length boards they ride.

Height will give you more leverage over a board but my experience is that weight has more to do with how easy a board is for you to maneuver (to bend it) and how much float it provides.

I am 5'9 (175cm) and 145 pounds (65kg) without gear. I have a 163 Furberg that I have a few days on now. For me, the length of the Furberg seems to be the same as the length of other boards I ride in specific conditions. Bigger boards for deeper powder and open bowls. Smaller boards for tight trees and mixed conditions. I would get the Furberg in the length of freeride board you typically ride.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:37 pm 

I'm about 185cm and ca 95kg with gear. I ride the 173 and think it is the greatest board i've ridden for serious mountains in soft snow. If the trees get tight it's a bit of a handfull but still doable, but in the tight trees i perfer my hovercraft. If i was to have it as a one board quiver i would most likely choose the 167 but for my usage i'm glad i chose the 173.

Et perfekt brett for steder uten tett skog, feks. Røldal, Haukeli, Stranda etc!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:21 pm 

Thanx for the input!!

On a good day there`s maybe 50cm of fresh powder.
I really like to ride big open terrain. Riding the trees is more of a thing I have to do in order to get back to the resort. The resort I ride in has big open areas, but its not steep. Thats why I maybe need a longer board for more float.
I currently ride a Burton Malolo 162. Its great when I pick up speed! I could keep the malolo for those days with no visibility and its tree riding only.

Nesse:
Kjører i Myrkdalen. Skal visst minne om Stranda etter det de tilreisende sier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:37 pm 

You will love it!

I should add that this board rips! It has outstanding float and is insanely stable at speed. The powder turns, the mixed condition skidded turns, and the rockered board pivot turns are so smooth. The tail does not catch. It is so nice to have a board that is not hooky and that has the ability to easily release the edge for turning and then re-engage it for serious bite.

This board rewards aggressive riding.

Thanks Daniel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 pm 

buell wrote:
You will love it!

I should add that this board rips! It has outstanding float and is insanely stable at speed. The powder turns, the mixed condition skidded turns, and the rockered board pivot turns are so smooth. The tail does not catch. It is so nice to have a board that is not hooky and that has the ability to easily release the edge for turning and then re-engage it for serious bite.

This board rewards aggressive riding.

Thanks Daniel.

Buell: Thanks for posting, your description is exactly how I expect my 173 to ride. Having the freedom to turn the way I want, rather than by what the sidecut and camber determines, pivots, slarves, straightline exits, I cannot wait! Mine is cut in half right now, waiting for me to laminate the carbon sidewall, and mount everything up into a killer split pow board.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:37 pm 

173 freeride on the way! :headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 am 

Found this cool pic. These boards look killer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:36 pm 

Inserts done and feeling the stoke ready for Hokkaido next week!!!

Phantoms/Sparks
Tokachi Dreaming

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:42 pm 

yogisnow wrote:
Inserts done and feeling the stoke ready for Hokkaido next week!!!

Nice Yogi! Mine is cut, and I am waiting for the weekend when a friend is going to come over to help with the carbon layup on the inner sidewall (an extra set of hands is going to be very helpful for this).
I am going to be using ski screws for the pucks, Dynafit toes, and heel lifters. I know folks will question this approach, but they have always held up for me in the past with good epoxy in the mount. The board ends up stronger this way as well, without disturbing nearly as much of the glass fibers.
Did you use QuiverKiller stainless inserts, or...?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:51 pm 

Q killers for the touring bracket and heel risers.
They seemed to have held well on two boards this year..
T nuts for the binding plates. Will use the factory inserts and Markus's solid slider pucks.
Very solid nice pucks.
Will post a pick of it finished later.
I used ski screws for the risers on the Rossi with out any issues yet.
Looking forward to seeing your rig!!

Phantoms/Sparks
Tokachi Dreaming

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:08 pm 

Got my 173 today. From the shipping label it looks like Mr.Furberg went to the post office himself :wink:
Loving the shape! Cant wait to ride it. Any tips on bindings to match this board with? Riding it as a solid for now.

Those furberg splits looks nice. Good luck in japan!

Btw. Seeing your pics. Does your board have marked referance points? Mine doesnt..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:50 am 

Mine has a reference point, it's in the middle of the inserts so i really dont see the point of it :)
It takes a while to "figure out" the board, but i ended up with some additional setback. Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:20 am 

barrows wrote:
I must say I agree with Daniel, his boards are definitely something which has not been offered before for snowboarders, and I must congratulate him on going forward and taking the risk of starting a company to make these designs available.
I have been looking for a board with this type of design for a few years now, but every company I suggested it to just continued to make the same old designs, or they added rocker to the same old shapes and called it something revolutionary. No one really wanted to take advantage of rocker, and combine it with a forward thinking shape to offer more stability, control, and turn type options for the rider. 8-10 m sidecut radii make no sense for advanced riders who know how to turn, just as experienced skiers do not use deep sidecut, or "parabolic" skis-those designs are for intermediates, making it easy for them to learn to carve at moderate speeds on groomed resort runs.
Thanks Daniel!

Wow, first time I've seen this thread. Nice to see some logic when it comes to sidecut and the reverse sidecut starting where the contact point makes too much sense. I really hope someone develops a split with these ideas but into a stiffer big mountain style that isn't so wide (the 162 furberg is 264mm at waist). This design in a 161-163 with a blunt nose, normal width for faster edge to edge (254mm-260mm waist), stiffer flex, non rocker tail, rocker nose, mellow camber under foot would be the ultimate freeride machine!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next