Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:00 am 

summersgone wrote:
I'm going to say I LOVE THIS BOARD! I'm on the 162. I'm 5' 7", 150 plus gear. I've had it in almost every condition, minus the deepest day ever, which I bet would be awesome. It's been great in all. Corn is super fun, steeps it is good edge to edge on turns. At speed in deeper snow, it sits up awesome. It is maneuverable, but also mocks at speed. Its amazing how versatile it is. I feel that it can make turns like a Venture Odin, but be as nimble as a shorter board. I'm converted.

A few nocks on the board are:
1) Karakorum hardware I am not a fan of. I would prefer the Voile hardware. I hate K-clips and the hooks, personally, I think they are junk, they don't snap in as well as they are a harder material then Voile.
2) The topsheet is not as bomber as other companies, like Never Summer or Venture
3) The rocker profile doesn't skin as well as other boards with camber or flat under foot.

But its awesome!

Thanks for this! I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I picked up a Furberg 162 split from the demo sale. Stoked! :rock:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:54 am 

Looks like Furberg is making some changes to their design. This is from an email I got back from them regarding the new design. I look forward to finding out more.

"For the 2015 splitboards there are some changes.
Most importantly we have added a bit of camber to the center section, which gives the board more grip and makes it a bit more reactive.
The camber also improves the grip while skinning.
We have slightly increased the effective edge to improve stability and grip, but there's still enough reverse sidecut to make the board really catch free and easy to maneuver.
Also the durability has improved a lot with thicker bases, a more supportive wood around the edges, scratch resistant top sheet etc.
The splitboard will be available in the following lengths:
160, 164, 168 and 172

In a week or two we will start taking pre-orders with an early bird discount.
If you'd like to receive more info about the new boards and pre-ordering I'll sign you up to our newsletter."

The specs for the 160:
Waist: 265mm
Nose: 286mm
Tail: 275mm
Radius: 18m
Setback: 35mm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:40 pm 

LOL so all the things that were "so critical"to the design like the rocker perfectly matched to the sidecut radius, out the window.

Hey firstlight, remember the board we built and they said it wouldnt work for x,y and z reasons? Looks like we were just ahead of the times ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:39 pm 

BobGnarly wrote:
LOL so all the things that were "so critical"to the design like the rocker perfectly matched to the sidecut radius, out the window.

Hey firstlight, remember the board we built and they said it wouldnt work for x,y and z reasons? Looks like we were just ahead of the times ;-)

It will be interesting to get feedback from people who get the chance to ride both Furberg designs. There are a lot of happy riders on the fully rockered version. I expect this one will be good too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:54 pm 

BobGnarly wrote:

Camber, camber, camber :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:52 pm 

Quote:
It will be interesting to get feedback from people who get the chance to ride both Furberg designs. There are a lot of happy riders on the fully rockered version. I expect this one will be good too.

32k+ views 277 replies and counting

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:56 pm 

permnation wrote:
Quote:

32k+ views 277 replies and counting

I expect Furberg will nail it again, and even better this time. Some between-foot camber? A little longer running surface? These are far from radical changes; fact is they're running on feedback from some of the best riders in the world riding some of the most hardcore lines in snowboarding history... Building upon and refining already excellent, revolutionary design ideas. Furberg deserves the benefit of the doubt; looking forward to hearing ride reports.

(Except that they're not making a 183. :nononno: )

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:57 am 

How do you guys think a Furberg would perform in east coast backcountry conditions? IE terrain that is mostly comprised of super variable snow conditions, tight trees, little cliffs, and bushes and other obstacles that need to be cleared.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:17 pm 

Its been a long time since I've rode on the East Coast, so trying to jog the memory. The Furberg wouldn't be the first board I'd choose out there, but that's not to say it wouldn't be good. I think the things that may let the Furberg down out there is the full rocker under (I think some sort of camber, like NS) might not be so great on your ice, also they are relatively long. I used to ride a 154 on the east, now I am on a 162 on the west, I'd be banging trees on the east with it. Last, the base of the Furberg isn't as strong as others out there, and I remember there's a lot of rocks and shallow snow that may eat it up.

But the board is surprisingly nimble, and I think it would be fine in the trees, and still could be fun. I just don't quite remember the characteristics of a good board on the east. Probably my first choice would be a rocker camber type profile with a good edge hold, like NS or Lib Tech, or a Unicorn Chaser from Chimera because you can run it smaller.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:11 pm 

buell wrote:

"For the 2015 splitboards there are some changes.
Most importantly we have added a bit of camber to the center section, which gives the board more grip and makes it a bit more reactive.
The camber also improves the grip while skinning.
We have slightly increased the effective edge to improve stability and grip, but there's still enough reverse sidecut to make the board really catch free and easy to maneuver.
Also the durability has improved a lot with thicker bases, a more supportive wood around the edges, scratch resistant top sheet etc.
The splitboard will be available in the following lengths:
160, 164, 168 and 172

This year they are adding camber and have beefed up the base and edges.

I don't see why a Furberg would not work on the east coast if you are riding variable conditions. Just pick the correct length for your size and your riding. At my 145 pounds, for the east coast it sounds like I would want something smaller than the smallest they make at 160 length, but if you are 160 pounds plus or like a longer board, they probably have a size for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:23 am 

Yeah I am a large dude at 6'4" 250 so the 173 is what I would need. Looking at alternatives (Mainly NS, Lib and Venture) but everyone has such rave reviews want to seriously consider a berg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:05 am 

I'm going back on my statement. I think you'd have a blast on it. Didn't remember the 2015 improvements they were doing (I'm on last years), but that all sounds good to me. The board is just damn fun to ride. It really shines at top speed too, which you may not ever get to experience on the east.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:27 pm 

Did anyone catch the new site while it was up for a few hours last week? IDK what happened but one night it was up with the new products and the next morning it was the old site/products.

Also - I emailed Furberg to see about when preorder would start. Was told it would start last friday (aug 22) with 10% off for orders placed in Aug. Obviously that date has passed and no new site so IDK how far that will get pushed back but wanted to pass it on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22