Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rossi Race Corn Sled
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:16 am 

This was my first attempt at a DIY split. Rossignol brought this board to market in 1991-92; with a forward-shifted profile it was a direct contradiction to and far more stable than the asym designs that were dominating the alpine and race scene back then. I raced and rode it until it was dead and then it collected dust for a decade or so. I then revived it as a split, cutting a swallow to soften the tail a bit. Splitting it softened the flex enough overall to make it friendlier off piste. It's foam core so it's super light. It's also got aluminum plates in which to sink screws, so mounting hardware on it is relatively easy. It's also pretty wide as alpine decks go - 23 cm at the waist, so it can accommodate slacker stance angles than most race boards. It shreds corn like mad - but that's about all it's good for in the back country given its scant surface area and float. I'm going to put a steeper stance on it for this season's corn harvest. It's a good example of how splitting can bring new life and purpose to a board whose days might otherwise have been done.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split