Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chimera Snow|boards
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:51 am 

Any of these gonna make an appearance at the Kali party next weekend? No doubt there will be plenty of peeps wanting to try them out... :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:01 pm 

Had a good time hanging out at the chimera demo today. The snow was poopy so not a lot of riding was done, although I did skin around and ride about 200 vert :roll:
I'm really excited about these things. I've watched Bucky slash and burn his way all over the Wasatch on a unicorn chaser this winter and now I'm excited to have a chance to get on one.

Alister slapping some pucks on a Unicorn Chaser

The weather wasn't the best for riding, but it was great for checking out the quiver and having a drink.

What in the hell is that....Chimera

Good to see some familiar faces. Hopefully chimera will do another one this spring.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 am 

what were the small inner edges like to tour with? have to say a little skeptical that on a icy traverse a little inner edge would do the job. please prove me wrong. I guess in theory that I should be weighting only the middle section of the ski however......in practice I am sure its different....

also how robust did the boards look. currently riding a bomb proof Venture zephyr and super please.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:55 am 

dafu wrote:
what were the small inner edges like to tour with? have to say a little skeptical that on a icy traverse a little inner edge would do the job. please prove me wrong. I guess in theory that I should be weighting only the middle section of the ski however......in practice I am sure its different....

also how robust did the boards look. currently riding a bomb proof Venture zephyr and super please.
[/quote]

I've been riding the Mace proto all season and have had no problem whatsoever with the inside edge. I honestly don't notice any difference from my full edge Priors, besides the loss of weight. Really with a straight edge your contact point is pretty much right under your foot, unlike an edge with sidecut. The sidewalls on my inside edge still look new after a whole season. Just my experience, ymmv.

Various Chimera prototypes
TLT5/Dynafit/Phantom
32 ULs/Blaze LT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:39 pm 

I saw their boards and Mt Baker Splitfest. Pretty impressive and the 'underfoot' inside edge is pretty unique. Didn't get a change to demo one, but next time.

Would agree that it's nice to see another grassroots, rider developed, splitboard company. Or just another grassroots company period.

Keep it up boys!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:36 pm 

dafu wrote:

metal edges are not necessary to traverse in icy conditions. they might give a sense of comfort, but some of the best skinners I know are on DIY boards with no inner edge and they fly across things that make my ass pucker. Technique is much more important. That being said, the metal edge on the chimera boards is in the spot that you would need it the most. I doubt you would lose any grip vs. a full wrap metal edge.

I finally got a proper tour on a unicorn chaser, and while i don't believe one day out is grounds to write a full review or say it's the best thing ever; I will say that it was a fun, floaty ride. The wasatch got 12-15 of new snow so anything would have ridden well, but I was impressed with how well the unichaser floated. I was on a 155 which is way shorter than what i normally ride and I didn't bury the nose at all. I also didn't have to lean on the back leg much. it was an easy board to hop on and feel at home. so far i like it.

the build quality seems great. time will tell, but i would be surprised if there were major issues with durability.

Jason Chasing the Unicorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:21 pm 

just noticed specs are up on all models.
http://www.chimerasnowboards.com/Models

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:31 am 

Thanks for the update, I'm looking seriously at adding the 172 Mace to the quiver for firm conditions.

Anyone have any feedback on weight?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:28 am 

Don - I had the pleasure of playing around on the 165 Mace for a few runs. Conditions were horrible that day so I only skinned with it for about 15 minutes. Then I rushed over to the Bird to get a couple runs on it. Really not enough to write a solid review about it but I can tell you it felt pretty lightweight. Swing weight was much lower than my 168 Osin fishtail split and my solid 166 Burton Malolo. In fact, it seemed to feel lighter overall than my Malolo. I'm not sure if it really was or not, but it felt much more playful, nimble and poppy. Kick turns felt smoother and lighter weight too at least for the short time I skinned.

It'd be fun to do a proper tour on it to see how it really compares. *Disclaimer* - I really only have touring experience on one board so I can't compare it to others.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:25 pm 

Wow, love the specs. The Mace seems like a Solution/Severe Terrain type board. I have an ST and love it. I was planning on getting a '61 Jones Solution too (not a logical compliment to my ST but love both designs) but I'm gonna have to give the Mace a look. If not I'm really interested in the '61 Unicorn Chaser for my pow specific split! (I like the idea of getting my pow specific split from a Utah mfg'er.) Any idea how stiff the Mace is? The Jones influence is evident in Chimera's designs....a good thing! Jones's blunt nose design is the best nose you can have on a freeride board.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:18 am 

I haven't had a chance to ride the mace yet. But i just spent a few days on the sceptre and i loved it, maybe my favorite board i've ridden, maybe.

as far as weight goes. I think my mojoRX 161 is lighter than the sceptre 160 that I rode, but not anything significant. The board felt light underfoot and skinned well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:11 pm 

Bump. Anyone else feel like chiming in on The Unicorn Chaser? Seriously considering the 161 rather than split my 172 swallowtail. Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:54 am 

Came across a brief Mace review from Canada - http://visionsofchance.com/2011/09/18/chimera/

Various Chimera prototypes
TLT5/Dynafit/Phantom
32 ULs/Blaze LT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next