Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Never Summer SL Splits...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 pm 

I really do like the 161 length. I actually have 3 NS splittys 2 DIY and this factory split. I have not ridden the summit I favor twin tips. Im 5'9 160 and I could easily have gotten away with the 158 but I just like 161's. The SL is killer in all conditions, but I am not a one quiver kind of guy and like a cambered 158 for spring corn. Oh and fitit I think you could definitly get away with the 161 but may want a litte extra length for those epic deep days :D BTW the board quality is superb and am very happy with the product.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:59 pm 

got my 158 out the other day and have a few thoughts:

I am 5’ 9” 145# and I’ve been riding an SL 155 solid on the lifts for the last season and a half. It is one of my most favorite snowboards I have ever ridden, and a true all-mountain weapon. My riding style is more windlips, cornices, and natural hits than handrails so I’ve been wanting to switch up to a 155 Heritage but tried to pull the trigger too late this season. I’ve demo’d the Proto CT 154 and its noticeably stiffer than the SL - especially torsionally... it rails on edge....

so needless to say I was stoked when I heard that these were coming out. I have the 158 SL split (mine’s also serial # 0005, weird) with Sparks LT brackets and Blaze’s with cartel straps.

The board - to me - rides like a longer, stiffer SL... which is great....its closer to the Proto than the SL, and I imagine closer to this years Heritage as well.. Vince has called it a Heritage in SL skin...

My first day out with it WAS on the lifts and it just shreds. At no time riding it did it feel chattery at all or did i ever notice that it was a split... threw some ones and threes on some kickers and it spins just fine. really stomps landings. I have drunk every drop of kool-aid when it comes to Never Summer’s Rocker/Camber profile. truly the best of both worlds and just a springboard of pop.

We need access to a 155 or 154 of this splitboard. I did notice that the 158 compared to the 155 seemed to ride a bit longer than an extra 3 cm... might just be me and I need to get used to the board more, but it does have a different vario sidecut pattern so that could be part of it...I am sure that there are times that I will appreciate the extra length, but I have ridden a 157 cambered split in the BC for years so I am sure that with rocker I can go down to 55/54..

Touring it is pretty awesome... really wide boards with great tips that duck-dive and elevate themselves laying down the skin-track in all but the swampiest of PNW “pow”... LT brackets are the shit. zero slop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm 

I really enjoyed my Salomon 450 -159cm board years ago, and currently I ride a Burton Triumph 164cm, which is much stiffer than the Salomon and Ive grown to enjoy that. The Burton S 162 split seems to be more flexible than the Salomon 450. So I think the the NS Split SL would be slightly more flexible than my Triumph and I thought a little shorter 161 would give me a little more versatility for the board, but maybe I should go with 163 for the powder days. What are your thoughts? Oh, my shoe print is 11, so I don't need a super wide board or anything.

The NS SL split should ride more like the Heritage and the NS summit split should ride more like the Raptor, so I've heard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:58 pm 

haha thats funny the Daniel Franck from that 450 and 550 era ('02?) was my favorite board i'd ever ridden (might still be) till I picked up an SL. the Dan Franck was stiffer than either the 450 or 550..

i guess you could probably go either size if you used to ride down to a 159... i would make the choice based on my riding style - which for me means go shorter... yer also gonna get some added float from the rocker..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:50 pm 

I gave the 450 to my best friend a couple years ago but it was a great all around board. So I'm with you there. I think with the rc design I can go shorter to 161 for maneuverability.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 pm 

@ShredLife:
With rocker you can actually get a longer board and it would ride as a shorter one. Generally, for the same overall length the cambered boards ride longer. Of course, there are differences based on the particular rocker implementation...

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 pm 

i dont want to ride longer... i like to spin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:36 pm 

i dont want to ride longer... i like to spin
+1

The Sl split is a skaterats board. easy to butter over to switch, pop ollies off whatever comes in its way, Sk8 the mountain. I would never go longer with a rockered board (swing weight is an issue with splits)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:49 pm 

lernr wrote:
@ShredLife:
With rocker you can actually get a longer board and it would ride as a shorter one. Generally, for the same overall length the cambered boards ride longer. Of course, there are differences based on the particular rocker implementation...

Cheers
Ivo

I believe you have that backwards. The whole point of the rocker camber design is to have a shorter board behave like a longer board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:00 pm 

Definitely agree you guys that shorter is better for spinning - was just saying that I think generally rockered boards ride shorter than the same overall length in trad camber designs. I believe I am right about this :D Think about it - the effective edge is shorter because of the rocker / early rise tip and tail. If you ride a 157 camber and move to a 157 rocker - it would feel shorter than your old traditional camber board. The whole point of rocker is to have a longer board behave like a shorter board (but with more float)

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:12 pm 

I'll bet you a beer that I'm right ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:34 am 

You are right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:46 am 

if youre talking about a rocker profile like the Voiles or the Jones boards then i'd be inclined to agree with your premise - although i would still always take the chance to ride shorter over longer...

the Never Summer rocker/camber profile is a different animal. when your weight is centered on the board the entire effective edge contacts the snow - with insanely solid edge hold. the rocker is smack dab in the middle of the board, and the cambered sections underfoot actually add 4 extra contact points (when you want em - thats the best thing about their rocker, you only feel it when you want to engage it) and the way it flexes the board it kinda "holds" the tip and tail down to the snow.

unweight either the front or back foot and the rockered sections come alive

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next