Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jones solution 64
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:51 am 

Hi,
i am looking for a review about this board,could you help me?

Post subject: Re: Jones solution 64
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:50 am 

what is this board you speak of? :scratch: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:21 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
what is this board you speak of? :scratch: :wink:

I repeat (sorry for my bad english,i am Italian) Jeremy Jones split solution 64 !!!!! :bananas: Thanks a lot for yours answers!!!! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 pm 

hey bazzo,

there was a long, often distracting discussion here on the Jones splitboards, but I think the thread accidentally got deleted. You probably never saw it.

maybe people can use this thread for reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:05 am 

The boards ride incredibly well. Some of the 168's have issues with hole patterns. The other sizes are good I think.

Been out on mine (one of the defective 168's) a few times and absolutely love the way it rides. Thinking of buying the solid next year. Rockered nose rules in powder, still ride switch pretty well. Magnetraction helps on icy sidehilling in ski mode.

They are made in Tunisia, by Nidecker. Some people have issues with this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:56 pm 

I've now been out on my 164 enough times and in enough different conditions/terrain to say that I really like it. One of these days I'll post up more of a real review, but for bazzo - one thing you need to be aware of is that many people have had issues with the stance width options on the 164. See this thread for more on that. The bottom line is that with this year's Solution 164, realistically the minimum stance width you will get is around 22". If your normal stance is substantially narrower than that, you're going to have issues.

Now in that other thread, Jeremy said they would address this for next season's version. So if that's what you're looking at buying, it may not be an issue, but you may want to check first.

The board itself does ride really well. As far as the magnetraction goes, I feel the mellow magne on the outside edges is a great thing - enough to make a difference in hard snow, but not so much that the edge becomes catchy.

But I have to say that I really don't notice any difference from the inner magne. In hard/icy sidehilling conditions, it seems to me you're really more at the mercy of the lateral support from your boots/bindings anyway, and softboots are pretty lame in that department. This far outweighs any incremental improvement from the inner magne. Might be more noticeable with a really stiff boot or hardboot setup. Also, magne really makes a difference when you're actually turning the board, i.e. the board is moving and the magne is "slicing" through the hard snow. That isn't happening when you're skinning. I really thought this was a great idea and would really help when skinning in icy conditions... but so far I just ain't seeing any real-world difference. As cool as it seems, I think it might be worth ditching it and saving on the production costs - I would think putting that on the inside edge has got to increase the costs. One of these days I'll do a more controlled test, skinning up an icy slope with half my old Burton on one foot, and half the Solution on the other...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:15 am 

Thanks a lot everibody next week i hope to go try a Solution 64 and then i you promise my personal review! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:42 pm 

Picked up a Solution 164 a couple of weeks ago at REI (20% off) :clap: I have about 6 days on it and I absolutely love it! I coincidentally ended up with a new set of fuses http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6550&p=81567#p81567 and the LT pin system at the same time and I truly feel I'm about 90% of a solid board set up. I no longer feel like a hippy in the air. I can spin frontside and backside and pulled my 1st splitboard front flip on sunday. I can see riding this at the resort on day when I plan to do some side country (as opposed to keeping my split in the car). Initiates a turn really well, and holds and edge solid, while keeping a surfy feel. I agree that the mellow magnatraction gives you the best of both worlds (extra grip without being catchy). My though on the inner magna wasn't that it would help with skinning but that it would help with split skiing and with giving the board a more solid feel in ride mode. My thought when I 1st heard about the inner magna is that it would have something of a jig saw puzzle effect; a series of broken seems would feel more solid than a single seem running trip to tail. I also figured it would help keep the board aligned. It does seem that the gap in ride mode is larger than it should be. When Monk split my T6 there was no seem, I had to wipe water off of it to get it to fit together. That said the gap doesn't make any difference in the ride. Hoping to get some K-clips when they get more back in stock and hopefully that will tighten that gap some.

Bottom line: Jeremy did it everyone else can go home :doobie: