Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steep skiing: Rocker or not to Rocker.......
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:18 am 

This year I have been riding a 11' Storm 166. I have never ridden another rockered board so I don't have an opinion on others. I love this board. So far it has been my all time favorite board. In Utah I don't have the pleasure of riding ice often so I can't comment on it there. But for all around riding the storm has been a pleasure. You can not sink the front of this board. And it is hands down the fastest board I have ever ridden. I have never ridden a board that you can go back up the hill on a turn and maintain speed. I guess this is the surfy feel. On low angle stuff this is great because you can just go. I have never gotten stuck. On steeps it is easy to ride aggressive and effortlessly goes where you want. I think I could have gone shorter, but then I might have given up some of the effortless float. But the trade off would be easier riding on BC exit trails. This is the only area I have struggled at all with the storm. It just feels like a big board.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:57 pm 

My final opinion on my Storm R Split 166 x 26 is that it handles very, very, well in steep terrain. I no longer have any reservations about it, and am confident it can handle the most desperate of steep/technical descents. The rocker on this board is no liability in the steeps, even in the tail.
I came to this conclusion after last weeks descent of the Notchtop Spire Couloir:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10993

The board was fantastic there.
Now I want a bigger board for charging mid winter pow, (Odin 173/175)! A quiver of two.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:55 pm 

Good question by the OP. This is, like most things, mostly a matter of personal preference.

For me, all things being equal, I would choose a cambered (or nose-rockered, tail-cambered) over a rocker board for steeps. That is not to say that rocker boards can't perform well on steeps, but in my experience the relative stability and grip afforded by cambered boards (or boards with cambered or flat tails), is more desirable in steeps.

The trade-off here is one of stability and grip vs. ease turn quickness. A rocker board will initiate a turn more quickly and fall onto edge (in a hop turn) more softly and easily. But a cambered board will have more stability and hold once in the turn. Getting through the turn is easier with rocker; camber affords a more solid landing once there.

I have a hard time translating these trade-offs into a design without also factoring their consequence on performance in powder, trees, and high-speed off-piste.

My grand compromise is to exchange tail rocker for a bit more taper and variable sidecut (more in the nose, less in the tail), thereby easing turn initiation, preserving shovel float/tail sink, and maintaining rear-ward effective edge, stability and braking power in steeps and at speed.

But again, this is mostly a matter of personal preference. I do wonder what Dre thinks...

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:50 am 

I would agree almost entirely with Taylor in a general sense.

"The trade-off here is one of stability and grip vs. ease turn quickness. A rocker board will initiate a turn more quickly and fall onto edge (in a hop turn) more softly and easily. But a cambered board will have more stability and hold once in the turn. Getting through the turn is easier with rocker; camber affords a more solid landing once there."

The above was my concern with the 2011 Storm R Split 166. It is no longer a concern, as the available edge grip is plenty. I now have a handful of turns over 50 degrees, in no fall, narrow terrain, on this board. In this kind of terrain the rocker makes it easier to get the board around, without the fear of the tail sticking mid way through the turn (critical) and without the nose grabbing too hard at the beginning of the edge set (also critical). The rocker also keeps the board from hanging up on the kind of snow surface irregularities that are often present in steep technical terrain (runnels, sastrugi, debris). But once one sets the edge, the available edge grip through the end of the turn is bomber-I think this is a result of getting the tail flex dialed (a little stiffer) to work in concert with the rocker. I have found that setback is critical to get the best out of these boards (I am at 4 cm back of the center of the sidecut). I do feel that the tail rocker on the Storms makes them a little less stable than a similar size/stiffness traditional board-so for bombing open steeps I would choose a larger size board, no worries on manuverability since the rocker makes turning so easy-hence I look forward to getting a bigger Odin for good snow high speed riding.

I was concerned that tail rocker might make for a board which was too imprecise and would lack edge grip for technical steep riding when I got my Storm, the bottom line, for me, is that I no longer have this concern, and am very confident in this board being able to shine in the steepest terrain anywhere (as an example I would confidently take the '11 Storm to a 55 degree 3000' face in Peru). My findings are really only applicable to the 2011 Storm, and not necessarily to rocker in general-but I have to admit, I am a total convert and do not see myself ever getting another traditional board again.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/