Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - swallow tails?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: swallow tails?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm 

Wondering if anyone has impute on swallow tails and how big they ride compared to normal boards? Thanks :thumpsup:

Post subject: Re: swallow tails?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:47 pm 

First advice, don't take advice from people who don't ride, Or haven't ridden swallowtails for a considerable amount of time.

Secondly, most people know these boards are typically physically longer and float (or nose up) in powder. Obvious, duh, move along, nothing to see.

Size and ride? This varies, but as general rule minus about 5% off the tail and about 5% of the nose length... Ex: 180 = 162

They are generally really fast!
Its an entirely different ride and feel than a skate style deck. (I'm not talking about float capabilities)
There are exceptions, but most designs excel on hardpack and crud, not just powder.

All this being said, some people with experience, genuinely do not like swallowtails and that is all good.
Definitely not for everyone, but get advice from real swally riders and then make up your own mind based on your own experience.

Yes, I am one of the resident ST kooks :doobie:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:07 pm 

Thanks snurfer! I found a atomic new for 469.00, but its a 157! I have a buddy thats about 5ft6in and he usually rides a solid 55 or 56. He wants to hook up with a split. What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:12 pm 

chadsnowberg wrote:
Thanks snurfer! I found a atomic new for 469.00, but its a 157! I have a buddy thats about 5ft6in and he usually rides a solid 55 or 56. He wants to hook up with a split. What do you think?

If its the Atomic Poacher splitboard the sizing is probably fine, but its not really a swallowtail in my opinion...
Other than that some folks think the Poacher is a decent splitboard. Others think the Atomic split technology is not good. I honestly have no experience w/ Atomic, so I can't say.
BTW if it is a Poacher you can search the forum for reviews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:43 pm 

ya, sorry its the poacher split! I can't think about anything else but splitting, so didn't specify. You can obviosly read minds snurfer! lol
I read all the reviews on the forum, sounds like definately no voile, but cheap!
Thanks again :headbang:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:15 am 

:mrgreen: queue aussie accent :mrgreen:

Thats not a swallowtail,
<--------------------THIS is a swallowtail!

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:56 am 

I took some time comparing and measuring the outline of a Voile 178 swallow. It seemed to have the same effective base area as about a 166-168 conventional shape, but of course a lot depends on how long the tail is on the conventional board.

If you have budget for a deep and dry day board, consider that every extra cm in width is the same as adding 5cm in length as far as float providing surface area is concerned.

It would be good if mfgs listed the square cms of each board from the nose to where the tail curve breaks upward.

Wish I was riding today

http://freshiez.net/skiarea.html
this is kind of a fun calculator, but not entirely right on because you cant figure in the float and lift from a real long nose, and contact length is getting a bit vague on early rise noses.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:41 am 

I bought a split Voile 195 swallowtail in 1999 that I still ride, I've also owned a split Voile 178 swallowtail, a DIY split Avalanche 155 Tom Burt diy "dovetail", a split Prior 178 Spearhead, a DIY split & tapered Palmer 172 Big Lite, a DIY split O'sin 169 3800, a 180 LIB Grocer, a 167 Winterstick Severe Terrain, a 172 Winterstick Tom Burt, and a 173 Burton Ultra Prime(a carving board).
The times I don't like a swallowtail, "swt", are tight spots in hard snow, breakable crust, and icy trails. The swt is not fun in crusty snow, the tail often grabs snow when a solid tail wouldn't. Narrow icy trails suck on an SWT. The SWT is not a mountaineering board, it's too much work to control in tight spots with exposure and crappy snow.
My local snow conditions for much of the season are baseless depthhoar in the trees, windblown pockets of powder, and wind packed else where. The swt thrives in these conditions. SWT needs to have a stiff tail to power through variable snow, land airs, and carve firm snow at speed. The tail should have a big enough taper and rise to release a turn cleanly, accelerate down the fall line, and not be "hooky" when the snow is settled.
Final analysis: Although my go-to board is the TB, the 195swt has exceeded my every expectation and proven itself to be the ultimate ride. I'll never be without one.