Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile touring fitting and crampons for Jones Solution 168w
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:01 pm 

Hi Everybody,

After sooo many years of off-pisteing in the ski-resorts and procrastinating about touring I finally did it. I got the Jones Solution Splitboard 168w. Whadda beauty, can't wait for my first trip in three weeks, with a bit of playing around next weekend. But here it comes. As pointed out on this board before, the touring bracket drill holes are not aligned properly. Now I can just about get around that with a bit of re-engineering of the Voile fitting (make the holes a bit bigger), but, and this sucks really, the crampons won't work. In particular for the fixed mode I would have to cut off some 5 mm of crampons + bend both of them not to thrash my edges.

As time is running out quickly, I was wondering what kind of solutions to the 168w Solution ( :D )you've got? What's the advice from Jonesboards? And to make it all more complicated; I'm in Europe of course.

Thanks everybody and
+Happy ridings!

Bioken

Post subject: Re: Voile touring fitting and crampons for Jones Solution 168w
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:55 pm 

Make sure your Voile gear is not the issue. You can download some templates and hole diagrams from them and from this site. If it really is the board, send it it back. If there is not enough time then rig it yourself. Just make sure you can get it to work perfectly, because you don't want it failing in the BC.

You may be better off chopping your gear up. All my gear is semi-custom, but fuctional & bombproof. You'd be suprized what you can do with a dremel, some sandpaper epoxy and loc-tite.

Good luck,

Pedro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:47 pm 

Have you seen the link below? Could you post a picture showing the problem? I have also solution 168w, but no bindings yet. I might have it too.

http://www.jonessnowboards.com/community/threads/57989-Jones-168W-SOLUTION-NEEDS-A-SOLUTION!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:11 am 

I'll be damned with I spend over $800 on a board and then have to hack my gear, prolly ruining the warranty on everything. Not being able to use crampons is a deal killer for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:21 pm 

Yep,

After spending all that money one would like to have an easy time. Still haven't heard back from Jonesboards nor the local European dealer. Let's see. Thanks for your replies! Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:16 pm 

Just return it from where you got and wait for one next year i just went through this and after being told that if i kept it i would recive a proform for next year i got no repleys after 5 emails so not knowing if i would even get any thing to make it right i had to do what i had to do and return it really sucks becuse the flagship 168 is one of the best soild boards i ever ridden and to have as my split would of been sick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 pm 

If I understand correctly, the boards have misplaced inserts, and are defective. I would be calling up Jones (or Nidecker who makes the boards) and complain and get a replacement board. If Jones is a quality company, they will stand behind their product. They screwed up and the board has a warranty, so make use of it. Call and talk to a human, don't email. If you start messing around with the board and drill holes in it, I doubt they will help you, though. Taking matters into your own hands like that is just plain dumb.

Whether they realize it or not, Jones has its phone number x-ed out on its site. I would contact Chad Perrin, Director of Sales, Jones Snowboards (360) 393 4741, chad@jonessnowboards.com.

Allan