Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Khyber / Karakoram !!! Finally
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:11 pm 

So, here it is, my first split setup and I'm stoked! I should be taking her out friday and/or saturday to get her all dialed in.

The only thing I'm not quite sure about is where to start with the setback stance on this board? Right now I mounted the bindings right in the center of each set of holes. I figured that'd be a good start then go from there.
Any suggestions?

The board seems to be really well made and the folks at Prior have been excellent in customer service. It was the longest 3 weeks waiting for them to build it though =)

Thanks to Bryce at Karakoram for all your help, I can't wait to see, and get, your SL setup.

Post subject: Re: Khyber / Karakoram !!! Finally
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:22 pm 

I had the same question when I got my Khyber solid board and experimented a little. I was booting in about 17" of fresh mashed potatoes at Whistler and still getting the ol' back leg burn, but I was hesitant to set the bindings too far back because I didn't want the tail to wash out. I dropped by Prior and asked their thoughts, and the woman there said she just sets hers all the way back and it's fine. So I jacked mine all the way back have left it there, and the board handles great in two feet of powder or on boilerplate. I ride it that way all the time, unless there's been no fresh for a while or I'm just doing groomers inbounds, and then I switch over to my MFR.

Nice set-up you've got.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:32 pm 

amkaplan wrote:
I had the same question when I got my Khyber solid board and experimented a little. I was booting in about 17" of fresh mashed potatoes at Whistler and still getting the ol' back leg burn, but I was hesitant to set the bindings too far back because I didn't want the tail to wash out. I dropped by Prior and asked their thoughts, and the woman there said she just sets hers all the way back and it's fine. So I jacked mine all the way back have left it there, and the board handles great in two feet of powder or on boilerplate. I ride it that way all the time, unless there's been no fresh for a while or I'm just doing groomers inbounds, and then I switch over to my MFR.

Nice set-up you've got.

Thanks for your insight, that helps ease part of the confusion. Every time I look at it I'm thinking "wow, the bindings are waaaayyy back" haha. But I'm sure it will be great once I get it out and put it to use.

Friday I'll only be inbounds at the resort just getting a feel for the board and there won't be much powder there, maybe some in the trees, so I'm really curious to see how different it is. I'm coming from a 5 yr old Burton that was more on the low end, and I've never ridden a rockered board either.
And I have new boots too haha.

So EVERYTHING will be different about this experience, should be interesting...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:52 pm 

If it is a rockered board, I wouldn't go back too far, because there really isn't much of a need. My Zephyr is smack dab in the middle of the inserts and i get great float and handles awesome. I feel no need to move it back more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:08 am 

Good point, the rocker will affect that as well. I'll start with it being right in the middle of the inserts. Hopefully that will be ok for all the hard crud inbounds as well tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 am 

Nice machine!

I also think as shown the bindings are way back - would try more centered first.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:17 am 

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking the more I think about it. Heading up to the mountain today so I will move both bindings forward one set of holes. And it will be inbounds (nice hard crud lol) so the extra setback won't really help.

[edit]
moved them both up one set of holes. stance is at about 20 1/2"

Bringing my allen wrench just in case =) I need to find a nice small allen wrench I can keep in my bag.