Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Custom Hybid Rocker 158 Prior BC with 11m sidecut
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:32 am 

This seems to be the year of work for me, but I did get to ride a couple of lines on Diamond Peak for a preliminary corn review. I encountered perfect, moderate pitch corn to unconsolidated mush to consolidated summer snow. I did not get to try it on firm, steep corn.

I need some more time to assess the flex but, as in my earlier reviews, I continue to be impressed with the predictability of this board.

Skinning was outstanding with the narrow waist (245mm) and the bigger sidecut. We had some really tricky skinning and I do not recall any slips of the sidecut side of the ski.

As for riding, it seems perfect for me on the moderate pitch corn. There are no issues with making a tight enough turn. Its small size, lighter weight, and slightly rockered nose and tail allow very quick handling but it is still very smooth.

The flex is too soft for the unconsolidated mush, but what is one to do. The rockered nose and bigger sidecut are a drastic improvement for keeping the board from hooking and throwing you down in those conditions.

In the consolidated soft snow near the bottom the board worked great. I could easily navigate the trees on the lower slope on the way back to the car.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:22 pm 

I have now ridden 3 different lines on Shasta and a number of other volcano lines, in a wide variety of conditions on this board.

I had figured I would want to tweak something in the design for next season, but I am absolutely loving it! It handles all the corn season volcano conditions incredibly well and is super predictable. No changes for the moment, I'll be keeping this one another season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:21 am 

Some explanation on the whole sidecut thing. It is explained from a race/alpine point of view but all applies. A bit long but very informative.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1YdDj_ ... e=youtu.be

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFjq741b ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:43 am 

Buell, thanks for the reports-I am glad the board is working for you-just as I figured you were on the right track in speccing it.
I am on dial up here, so have yet to see Sean/Donek's videos, and will be sure to watch them when I can. But I would like to add a little additional perspective for a less pure carve oriented POV.
In the backcountry, in variable snow conditions, and steep terrain, it is rare that turns are pure carves, every turn is usually comprised of a combination of a carve and a skid. Skidding in turns is a completely viable and important technique when riding steep and exposed terrain-watch any video of the very best big mountain riders, and you will see all kinds of techniques, carves, skids, smears, side slipping, etc.
Being able to change mid-turn from a carve, to a skid, and back to a carve, is really important in steep and dicey terrain. One of the biggest benefits of longer sidecut radii for steep/variable terrain riding is that it makes the transition from skid, to carve, to skid more gentle, and easier-allowing one to flow through these transitions without an abrupt, jarring, change in edge pressure.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 pm 

At the risk of thread hijack... The videos are alpine-centric, focusing on how sidecut shapes affect turn shapes and energy transfer through what is presumed to be a railed turn (where the entire edge passes through the same point in the snow).

Barrows, I think it would be interesting for Sean (or any astute shaper) to follow with a video focusing on how sidecut affects non-railed turn characteristics (smears, various degrees of carving short of railing), or how it affects the ability to alternately rail and skid in the same turn on uneven snow surfaces (a skill shared by good racers and back country riders alike).

I agree that long radius sidecuts afford more edging options with greater control at a greater range of speeds.

Here's what's interesting: I was reading some of Donek's prototyping info and they're experimenting with regressive sidecuts for the powder and big gun boards that fade into the mid or upper teens--radiii way, way longer than anyone else is even imagining (except ski companies, which is notable).

All things being equal, I imagine such a board would ride wicked fast and stable at the end of turns and in steeps across a wide range of edge angles--in any situation at or beyond turn apex. To me, this sort of stability security sounds incredibly attractive--but then there are others like prefer a progressive radius in the tail for the "bite" that it affords. A technical video discussing the turn attributes of relatively long-radius (mid-teens at least) radial, progressive and regressive sidecuts for back country applications would be useful.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:43 pm 

barrows wrote:
One of the biggest benefits of longer sidecut radii for steep/variable terrain riding is that it makes the transition from skid, to carve, to skid more gentle, and easier-allowing one to flow through these transitions without an abrupt, jarring, change in edge pressure.

On a moderately-tapered, relatively-stiff deck this is where I think a long (maybe 11) to really long (mid- or upper-teens) regressive radius side-cut would really shine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:02 am 

Taylor, spot on and very astute on the Donek stats and specs. I believe the side cuts were pushed to something like 9/15 on the new design of the yet to be named powder board. Its ability to slarve/skid or what ever you may call it is really in no way effected negatively with this big VSR sidecut setup. The desire for this project is to build the most versatile, all conditions board in the lightest package possible without sacrificing durability. These shapes are being offered in a non split,split and a race weight split version for the randonee racers. The progress radi or reduced radi tail is becoming more and more prevalant in alpine racing world as a last chance for riders who find themselves too late to make the next gate. It is a great bailout tool for when the skills are being pushed beyond your comfort zone and you find yourself in the back seat and on the tail.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:34 am 

Hey Buell - This is a sweet deck you have. I wholeheartedly agree that less is more when it comes to side-cut. If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? And how far set back is your stance on this board? And lastly, do you know the length of the shovel and tail on this deck?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:52 pm 

Taylor, the board is a standard BC split aside from the 11m sidecut. The waist width was maintained at the stock 245, so the nose and tail are narrower than standard. Everything else is stock, from the set back (I ride it centered on the inserts) to the nose and tail length. The numbers should be on the Prior website. For this first attempt, I did not want to get to fancy or to change too many things. After next season, I might modify the design.

I am 5'9.