Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st Impressions of the Venture Storm 166
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:28 pm 

I have been out on 2 short days with it touring so far. So this is just my initial observations of this board.

First off, the Storm is a beautiful board. Black with blood red graphics. Stealth! The construction all seems top notch. The tip and tail show some signs of being hand shaped, but to me this is cool. Someone spent some time with this board. The board fits together very tightly especially with the Karakoram clips. There is virtually no gap.

Touring Mode: Doesn't seem to slip back anymore with the rocker. And the Rocker seems to really help keep the skis up on top of the snow. Also seemed easier to kick turn on switch backs. Could be my imagination but I think it is the rocker too. So to me it skins better for me. I had to ski down a few short hills. It seemed better skiing than my Voile? Maybe it is the bindings or maybe it is the rocker too? I actually snowplowed with ease.

Ride Mode: Very nice. :rock: Obviously felt very good in powder. Believe it or not, the biggest improvement was on hardpack. I ended up running out on a skin track boot path trail. Lots of grooves, boot holes and ice. This was a total ass pucker on the Voile. The tail would catch on holes and the grooves so I would constantly fight to not catch an edge. The Storm was fun on this crap and I found myself wall riding and messing around instead of puckering the whole way.

Another improvement was going slow, or not moving at all inching forward to the next roll over. The nose easily stayed up and you didn't fight it like you are pushing a snow shovel in front of you. The Voile needed speed or the nose would plow. Nothing can suck the life out of you like getting stuck 20ft from where you need to be and having to swim to it in waist deep snow.

Can't wait to get out and ride it again this week.

Post subject: Re: 1st Impressions of the Venture Storm 166
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm 

Nice :thumpsup: I have been interested in getting a Venture splitty. Was wondering about the rocker profile. If you lay it flat on the floor, is the board totally flat or does it have some reverse camber to it? Thanks -Aaron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:57 pm 

zerodog wrote:
especially with the Karakoram clips. There is virtually no gap
My Zeph is the same way, I have no gap. Super pumped how it rides, so similar to my solid, other then weight. I found that during my changeover, I have to take my bindings and shave the ice off the inside now, or the clips will tighten with the ice in it. Instead of before with the hooks when combining ice would come off naturally. Just one more step, but nothing really. Thats not my biggest beef with the clips. They are still dangling while touring, but I'll hopefully get it fixed.

How does the tail feel when ollieing with it? That would be my biggest concern, and I never rode a board with that much taper and setback and was thinking I didn't want it, which is why I went the Zeph way. Def not regretting my choice though with the Zeph, but I wanna take a run on a Storm.

How did you feel about the topsheet? Mine seems like it is taking a decent beating after 5 tours, but nothing major, just small chips and scrapes, which is to be expected.

Must say the Venture bases are the most durable that I've ever rode on. That goes a way considering I felt Never Summer was top notch. Jammed too many rocks already (prob too early to get out a couple times) but nothing major other then scratches. I've had two buddies with Voiles get core shots already, so I concluded the bases are much stronger with Venture then any company I've seen (as I knew, but now proven to me in person). Glad I went Venture and not another way. Hope you are too.

Aaron - I noticed that my board has about 1mm of camber opposed to 0, but the rocker is pronounced on the Zephyr, I'm sure the Storm more. It's def not a full reverse camber, but it rides really nice and smooth.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:13 pm 

Not sure on the camber. I will have to take a look. Ollies? Haven't really tried it yet.

The top sheet seems tough. It has a skin on it. That is the best description I have for it. It is taking a beating on the edges of the tip and tail. That is 100% expected though.

I have no problems with my Karakoram clips. They don't really stay put, but they don't bug me either. They don't make any noise so I don't think about them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:27 am 

I think yesterday was my 5th time out on the Venture. Every time I ride it I like it more. I had to get used to the feel of the shape and the flex. It is fast, likes to go fast and just carves around effortlessly. It doesn't need to be forced into a turn. Easy pressure is all it needs. The thing floats while riding and while skinning. The tips just pop up and stay on top while breaking trail.

In the end I am really happy with my decision on this board. Thanks Venture!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:48 am 

I got my hands on a Zephyr a few weeks ago and I must say that they have pride in there work and it shows.

I am still waiting for our snowpack to fill in here in the Cascades before I bring it out though, but I can't wait much longer.

If there reputation is true this will be a great board.

Nice wok making it into BC mag Klem :clap: .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:14 pm 

And its not even broken in yet....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:29 am 

Got to ride my storm split in a resort 2 times over my christmas break. 1 day was a mix of powder and wicked wind crust. The other was 30" of fresh pow. This board rocks. It is fast as shit. Not that I ride fast, the board just doesn't slow down. You take a high traverse build speed and just go higher. I have never been on a board that will actually turn uphill and keep speed. New lines present themselves everywhere because of this. I can make cutbacks like I am riding a giant wave. This also makes some traverses fun to. You can pump them up and down, sort of like riding a wave keep your speed up and mess around. Instead of puckering hoping you will make it across the mountain.

On the wind crust and boiler plate it was fine. Could hold a line and feel confident. So the flat camber/ rocker was ok on this. And in the breakable crust. The nose stayed right on top.

I would not hesitate for a second to get a solid version of this board for resort riding, if I rode resorts more than a few times a year that is.